Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Can I say VW On Here?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 296moon, Oct 4, 2011.

1. 296moon

296moon
    from england

4.2 jag powered direct drive, reinvented from my first rail attempt and inspired by the Coleman bros, please delete if deemed OT [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Humina, Humina!

Post more details......................I like crazy stuff like this!

3. henry29

henry29

That's ridiculous.
    I hope it doesn't get deleted, any more pics?
    Is it a split?

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Nope, I think its fine...

( as long as its not an invite for people to post Cal Look Bugs, Volks Rods, etc )

5. 117harv

117harv

That's an Anglia axle?

6. IAVWGUY

IAVWGUY

As a long time VW guy I think your project is awesome.

7. I like the sedan in the background.

8. jipp

jipp

its cool with me, but my opinion dose not mean much. LOL.. i love old vw's... in any form.
    chris.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That should be one wild ride when it makes a pass down the strip. When we were rolling bodies off those to build dune buggies I always wondered why guys didn't grab them to build altereds out of.

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Looks like 25 to life.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

11. Looks like s cool project, but why did you have to cut up a split window? :eek:

12. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That Jag install says "early British drag car" all over, so it's solid HAMB material.

There's another HAMBworthy approach with a VW: as much as I dislike most front-engined Beetles - the new fwd sort most of all, but that's another matter - I've long had an idea where the front end of one gets extended to accommodate a front engine, with an upright radiator grille and new fenders that move VW headlights a bit inboard like on a '37/'38 Ford and the front wheels a bit forward in relation to the radiator. The idea would be that the interior work as per stock, no firewall level with the door jambs or sitting on the back seat to drive, and to use as much Beetle componentry/geometry as possible: torsion-bar ifs, DeDion axle hanging on the swing-axle trailing arms, some sort of transaxle in the stock location, etc.

I need to get back to that one again.

13. noboD

noboD

Not JUST a split Dean, but maybe a sunroof split. I'm thinking there better be a before pic shown. This doesn't look near as ruff as the split JJ cut up taken from a swamp.

14. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I like VWs too , I've seen some of the "rodded" Dub's , it made me want to build one .

15. alchemy

alchemy

What's wrong with that? It's only a VW. They made MILLIONS of them.

16. No difference cutting up a split window bug or a duece coupe as far as I am concerned they are both just cars.

To the OP I think you can say VW as much as you like. I have always thought that Bugs that bash the 1320 are pretty cool. Not your everyday door slammer but alwasy a hoot to watch. I do think that a scary vid of this thing trying to stay off the rail will be in order when the time comes for that to happen.

Oh I ment to ask 4.2 litres what does that translate to in inches?

17. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I LOVE DUBS keep us posted on its progress

18. In England a split window bug probably isn't that rare.

19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Man, that thing looks like it is flying down the track just sitting still !!!!
    Gonna take a big pair of gonads to test drive that bomb !!
    Way cool,
    Cheers...........

20. 73RR

73RR

Quick and dirty conversion is 60 cubic inch per litre. 4.2 x 60 = 252

21. Bugs are fine by me, why the bad rap ...just askin`

22. RichG

RichG

Nice ride... I sure hope it is a sunroof split, if just to hear the purist screaming.

23. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

24. jipp

jipp

when i was a kid this old man 80s had a split window in my small town and drove the piss out of that car. of course i noticed cause i was into baja bugs big time as that was my first car and have had one up till a few years all my life.. im 36 now so iv owned a few... I did have one split window baja bug and the purist did bitch at me.. but whatever.. i kept the parts i cut off so someone could fix it if they had to ( am happy to say i saw my old baja few years back and it was not changed so i guess i built it right ).. i wonder how rare the are over the pond.. probably not so i would hope.

personally i think some of the old bus's are worth more than a split window bug.. but thats just me... to me every bug is a baja bug *moral of the story i never spent more than 500.00 for a bug to baja*. LOL.. bus's now i thought about trying to make a baja but just cold not do it. :)
    chris.

25. May not be considered a "traditional hot rod" in the strictest sense. Still cool.

26. spikez57

spikez57

That thing is just flat out cool...

27. Old Gold

Old Gold

I have a similar build going on with a 58 Oval...Now I dont feel so bad!!

28. 73RR, when I do the " quick and dirty ", I always remember the 1000 c.c. or 1 litre Harley Sportster is 61 cubic inches :D, It wasn't long before I went with 4 5/8" flywheels, bored the cases and on went Shovelheads and cylinders, and all that easy math went right out the pipes, TR

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  29. crimson ghost

crimson ghost

I hope to hear the word VW around here more often :D

30. I like it, seen VW front, mid and rear engine conversions. My favorite was a Hemi front motor, wish I'd gotten pictures of it. Was at a car show in Pasadena about 8 or 9 years ago.
    Good body for making hot rod out of like Fiat Topolino only easier to find.