Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 31 Model A Victoria Build w/Pics – Miss Vicky

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jul 6, 2008.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

PARTY is FRIDAY NIGHT!!! We can get you a place to sleep if you come down. If you can you should leave for Charlotte friday morning and stay for half of the show Saturday then head back. We might be having a viewing of "A SWEET SICKNESS" as well Friday night at our shop. You just get here and we'll help with the rest.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it makes you feel better, I'm dragging "Mrs. McRad" with to Goodguys. :D:D Maybe that would help?? :rolleyes::D HAHA!

3. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey man. That thing looks bitchin in that color!!! Really awesome craftsmanship as well.
    Damn cool

4. All righty, we left off with some nice new vinyl stapled to the roof over the opening. (See post number 236.) Since then I've been messing with the trim and let me tell you, it was a pain in the arse. The corners were way to tight to bend the aluminum trim without the grove in the middle collapsing. I tried everything I could think of – several different jigs, heat, nothing worked. So I ended up having to pie cut the pieces in the corners.

Once the pieces were cut and bent, I drilled enough holes to test fit it to the car. Then I gave the pieces to a buddy so he could tig the pie cuts back together. I figured while he was at it, he could weld the four individual pieces together too. So now the trim is one big rectangular piece.

When I got the trim back, I had lots of grinding and filing to do. Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1244.jpg

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

Once the trim piece was filed nice and smooth, I drilled holes every two inches in the channel and corresponding holes in the wood around the top opening. Then I sprayed a little Rustoleum semi flat black on the trim. It came out a bit too shiny, but that was easily fixed with a Scotch-Brite pad.

IMG_1265.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Once the shine was knocked down, I started screwing the trim on. After that, I just had to insert the rubber into the groove in the trim and finally, it was done.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

I think it came out pretty good.

IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1277.jpg

IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  5. Looks really good!! I love the contrast of the black insert and the blue body color.

6. yankbuilt

yankbuilt

Dave, your the man. Looks great!

7. I love that car.

8. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Very clean. Good job :D

9. bonesy

bonesy

Great job - it's really looking sweet!!!

10. I also found a couple of 16 x 5 truck wheels with the outer nubs that will accept my Merc caps. I shot them with some black acrylic enamel to match the fronts. I've wanted to get taller rear tires for a while, but I finally got around to buying some – 700-16s. They fill out the wheel wells a little better than the 820-15s I had, plus the new wheels are narrower so I think they look better. Here's a couple of pics:

IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1267.jpg
    IMG_1280.jpg

11. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I like it grate work

12. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Don't you think it's time you update your avatar?

13. Great job, Dave!
    Really like the new wheels and tires.

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh man! Dave, that top looks great! And those wheels are lookin' good too!

15. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Yeah Dave, it looks better and better with every post! Nice job man. You're doing a great job man. Hope to see it again in person sometime soon.

16. OUTSTANDING HOT ROD Dave......I like everything you have done with it.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Damn that top looks incredible!! Great looking hot rod for sure. Oh and the new wheels? I always say go 16" over 15" every time!

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not sure... Depends on what header I put in it, I guess. I'm thinking I may fill it, but I REALLY like the look of the original insert as well. We'll see... I'll certainly have a lot less roof left than yours.

19. If you go with a 32 header, then I'd use the original style insert, mostly to showcase those sexy curved corners in the top opening.

A little more for me to think about (Thank you Doug):
    406versushemi6.jpg

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah! :D:D

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Is this heap coming to Good Guys in Charlotte or what? Did you ask permission yet?

Hemi would be rad but I like the 307 obviously because I run one also. :D

22. I was thinking of you this weekend and wondering how you were progressing on the car. Looks great and ready for ALL weather driving!

Scott has agreed to come down and be with Dad for Jalopyrama, so it looks like a go for now. I will call you later so we can figure out where and when to meet. I got my camera mount ready for some photos as we drive, plus new 8 gig memory card.

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I hear ya. Happy wife happy life!!! I'm taking a little brake from building anything once I get my 35 done so I can enjoy the weekends with my family so I know where you're coming from. I think I'm just going to work on my '32 on Wednesdays for the next year or two and drive the piss out of my '35.

A 331 would be all types of awesome in the car of yours!!! I have a 331 sitting in the corner for my '32 and a old polished EC6 6x2 intake sitting in the guest room so Scooter can wake up happy every day sleeping next to hemi speed parts hahah!!!! That'll eventually make it's way into the build after I get the car to a point where it's not falling over on itself.

We'll at least have fun at Jalopyrama and now that I know what you look like (or at least think I remember) I won't let you sneak up on me.:D:D:D

24. I don't know about this ... it's kinda big! :eek:

IMG_1394.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They are huge. In fact unless you have it between your frame rails you will find out how they are in fact too big. Too big to just wheel around, too big to fit under your bench, too big to not bash your knee on, Just too big!!!

I've had my 331 sitting in the garage for 3-4 years now and the thought of selling that son of a bitch has crosses my mind more then once. It always happens to coincide with me falling over it or like I said smashing my knee on it. It's funning to see just how big Hemi's, Cads and Olds engine are when compared to Wee little Flatheads and SBC's.

I wasn't on board originally with this idea but I think it's going to be rad now. That thing kinda needs a hemi since it's a grocery getting sedan!! Just kidding!! I love it and I will be first in line to buy it. :D

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Now we just need to find you one of these to go on top. This is my Old polished Edelbrock complete with vintage linkage and 94's. Scooped it up from my pal Whitey a year ago. I'm looking for one for ya....don't you worry.

Attached Files:

27. The trip to the Jaloprama basically killed my junk yard short block. The rings are gone and Miss Vicky was smoking like a chimney the entire way up and back. By the time I got home, she was missing so badly that she'd barely run. I figured it was because the plugs were fouled and I was right. I pulled all eight when I got home and they were dripping with burnt oil. So I decided it was time to put the new short block in. I've been consumed with house projects so the car's just been sitting.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving: I hadn't driven the car since I got back from Annapolis, but since the extended family was coming over for Thanksgiving, I ran out and bought 8 new plugs and put them in because I figured some of them would want a ride. So I took her out for one last drive yesterday before the tear down.

A little background on the mill: The heads were new when I first put the motor together and I just cleaned up the the bottom end and bolted it together. I've put a little more than 800 miles on it since she's been on the road.

I started the motor swap today by pulling off the heads. Here's what I found:

IMG_1441.jpg

IMG_1443.jpg

IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1447.jpg

IMG_1448.jpg

28. Good Luck Dave!
    Can't wait to follow your progress.

29. If you're gonna burn that much oil you might as well have a flathead :p:eek:

Looking forward to seeing the new mill come together. Any plans for that unknown condition T5? hint hint :)