Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

And here are a few more

2. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Now these Kemp engines would look great in an open hood rod!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    1941 Oklahoma City Avery Chapel AME Church.

4. starwalker

starwalker

Interesting...It was from a blog about OKC and although it didn't have a date, was with other pictures from just before statehood.

5. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

I agree look at the house's and the big bow on one lady's hat

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Don't know what the fuss is about. Raquel was just like any other actress, and hair color could change for the role at hand. Here she is, blonde, for one of her most famous roles.:p

[​IMG]

The shot of Raquel, above, that was turned into posters
    for many a young guy's room. Below, French version
    of the '66 movie poster.

[​IMG]

7. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

When clicking on the picture it said that the kid had his hand up for stop? on this side of the pond the stop is the arm down?????????????/

8. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Looks like a '57 210 hardtop in the parking lot pic in post 31594. If it is, that's a rare one.

9. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

They could very well be part of Wendell Scott's crew. The cars on the track date the race to be at least 1958, and Scott started racing nascar in the '53 or '54 season.

10. Craigo

Craigo

Just discovered this thread. Think I'll take a while to get through it all. It's great!!!!

11. [​IMG]

Yep, it's a 210 alright. It has no aluminum insert and the shorty chrome on top of the rear tail fins. Sharp eye there.

12. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

Years ago I made an effort to find every Desoto Dealership in the state of Iowa and try to locate the owners, employees of those dealerships. One of the ex owners I had the enjoyment of finding was MR Freswick of The Freswick motor company in Iowa City Iowa. Whenever I was in town I would stop in and we would talk about old Desoto's and he would enjoy sharing his stories about the dealership and the cars. One time I went to contact him and I was told he had passed away. I contacted his sister in Minnesota and asked her what had become of his Desoto Memorabilia that he had through the house? She told me she didn't think anyone would want the stuff so they threw it away. One of the things that he had was pictures of the fleets of Ambulances he would sell to the University of Iowa hospitals. She told me the photos were all discarded! Luckily I found some of them still exist through the University library and I will share them here.

It was because of that incident that I decided to share my extensive database of know Desoto dealers so that others might find stuff in their area before it was too late and more stuff was thrown away. Since then the National Desoto club has taken it over and continue to update it with new information.
    Here is my directory. http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/dedealer.html
    and here is the Desoto club list http://www.desoto.org/Desoto%20Dealer%20List.pdf
    The last column on the right is an internal source code for where the information came from.
    Below are some of the Desoto Ambulance images of the cars he sold.

13. roadkillontheweb

roadkillontheweb

And here are some more images to share.

14. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

In a car and on a motorbike here Arm down and palm facing the rear of the vehicle is "Stop"or atleast on my part of the East Coast. Remembering we sit on the other side to drive all signals are given with the left arm even on motor bike. Arm up palm forward would indicate a "Right turn"Arm extended straight out palm down or forward a "left turn " and arm straight palm to the rear "slow down" I doubt many drivers today even get taught those today.in 69 I had to use both hand signal and indicators to pass my drivers test.I hate to even think how a new driver would deal with semaphores today here !Damn completely The KID is in NZ 1957 was before they started the international traffic signals .

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  15. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I can't make out the clothing but what is difference about the road and curbing ?We had paved roads and granite curbing here in New England back then what is it I'm missing?

16. ehdubya

ehdubya

Left turn here is right arm over your head or left arm horizontal on a bike or open car.

17. OH!!! I guess I should have looked up a little higher :eek::eek:

18. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Nope ! look at the workers almost all are wearing a vest also you didn't go out without "Proper dress" even to work!Vest Tie and white shirt to run machinery powered by open flat belts!a properly set "hot rivet" is stronger than a bolt in a drilled hole because it distorts to fill the entire hole there is no room for movement like a bolt in an oversized drilled hole.

19. ehdubya

ehdubya

So is a cold one ...but which is best :confused:

20. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

a lot of drivers here have their head up their arse,
    so it's hard to tell why they're flailing their arms,
    or..
    maybe its because they're having sex while driving,, hmmmm

:D

21. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

vintage post cards...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  22. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

23. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

24. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

25. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

26. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

27. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

[​IMG]
    Item 22190 zoom [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.

Description

Old Glory is parked in front of a hangar at the Old Orchard Beach airport on September 6, 1927. This Bristol Jupiter Motor 450 HP Fokker Monoplane has a wing spread of 65 feet, carries a total of 1,120 gallons of gas with a loaded weight of 12,500 pounds. It was piloted by James D. Hill and L. Bertraud and the passenger was newsman Phil Payne. The plane attempted a transatlantic flight and was lost at sea.

28. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

29. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I don't know this for fact but I believe that hot rivets were done because of the size or mass of the rivet. Trying to properly set a rivet of that size would be near impossible.I do traditional blacksmithing and trying to set a cold rivet much bigger than 1/2 od is a real pain.I don't know that there is any difference in strength between the two.

30. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.