Register now to get rid of these ads!

CANADIAN 261 Engines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lintmann, Sep 29, 2011.

1. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Does anyone know much about the Canadian 261s? I'm mostly concerned about the Bee Hive add-on oil filter setup.

FYI, from what I'm learning, the Canadian 261 was a bit different from the US truck ones in that they had hydraulic lifters and no oil filter from new.

Most info I've researched on the 261 states that it has a full flow oil filter and 3/4" plumbing for it and that you can't just remove and plug these lines or you will oil starve the engine.

The one I have does not have 3/4" plumbing, more like 1/4" and one hose is removed and the holes plugged. The problem I'm having is trying to find new hoses and a filter for it but not having much luck. I'm starting to think that I should be looking at the 235 set-up instead...

Any ideas? Oh the engine is in a 60 Pontiac Laurentian, yes, I did say Canadian 261.:D

Thanks

2. The american 261 came both ways full flow and bypass oil system. We just put one in my buddys truck and we were using a remote filter set up and when we primed the oil pump both lines on the block were pushing oil so the filter was pointless. After we contacted some people we found out there is a (PIN) they called it that blocks the oil galley from the oil pump and forces the oil to go in and out of the oil filter we had to pound that pin for it to work proper. so look at yours it just looks like a 3/8 dowel or so by the front oil line comming out of the block if that is flush with the block you can plug the lines and it wont hurt it if that is puched in like 1/2" you cant plug the lines hope this helps. Ill have my buddy post pics of it so you can see.

3. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

mine has hydraulic lifters and no oil filter

Attached Files:

4. I have used grease gun hoses for replacement lines

5. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I've got a couple of them.

The Canadian CAR 261 is the same setup as a 235, bypass oil with hydraulic lifters and the Corvette/truck camshaft.

As for pounding that pin in. I've never tried it but I've heard that you can break the block doing it. I'd leave it alone and just change your oil when you're supposed to.

Shawn

6. lintmann

lintmann
    from calgary

Here is a pic of what I have.

I'm thinking that all I need is the rear hose and new filter but since that front hose is so old I should replace it too. All I'm interested in is getting this system working again. I'm not interested in installing a full flow system.

They way I understand it is that you only knock that pin in IF you are installing the full flow kit which I'm not so I should be okay leaving it where it is.

So if I order a set of hoses and filter cartridge for a 235 I should okay, right???:confused:

Attached Files:

7. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Yup.

Think of it like the 305 / 350 engine family.

Our 261 is just a bigger 235.

Shawn