Register now to get rid of these ads!

What are some vintage things you AVOID?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gotgas, May 20, 2005.

1. Wow! talk about bringing back some memories. When I worked at a Firestone store in the early 60's they sold winter tires with sawdust impregnated in the tread. They were supposed to offer superior traction on icey roads. I don't know if they worked all that well but I do know that they wore out in about a year if you drove them often on dry roads. Thanks for bringing-up something that I hadn't even thought about for a looooong time.
    Don.

2. choppermatt

choppermatt

crispy wires make a nice fire starter

3. DrJ

DrJ

I've bought some really cheap, and otherwise good cars because they had crispy wires.
    One was a $200 Fiat Spyder with American daisy mags on it. carb fire fried the insulation shorting the wires.... I think I did an emergency fix with some scotch tape and drove it home cheap!

On Angle iron.. yea, it's ugle but as trad as you can get, just check out Henry Ford"s first car, it was framed with the stuff!

Ball bearings? Most have a roller bearing size counterpart.

I've got tube amps Fender Deluxe Reverb and a Champ Amp... and miss the "buzz" of a car tube radio vibrator.
    They have those because tubes only work on A/C current and cars are D/C current so they have a "vibrator" that vibrates the voltage up and down to fake out the tubes into thinking it's A/C... That's the simple description, there's a bit more to it but that's basically what's happening.

What I think should be avoided is finding an old picture of your Great Uncle Dan's fenderless Model A field car that he only used to power his south fourty irrigation pumps and to haul produce and feed carts around the farm and mistakenly thinking it was a common period hotrod style that should be repeated today! :rolleyes:

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Putting GMC 6-71 blowers on everything with a crankshaft and pistons. The new crate motors are sooooooo much more cool.:rolleyes: :)

Frank

5. AssGasket

AssGasket

hand throttles and steering wheel timing advances....

(And the old-school cures for V.D....)

6. Lucas electrics, '80s and 90s music, bias ply tires, the Long Beach Freeway, hard core restorers, 6 volt systems, cloth covered wires, Peavy amps, Crisco, pomade, floozies anywhere near my age, Spanada or Boones Farm wine, smoking banana peels, platform shoes, Disco, traditional Republican values, 8 track tapes, especially by Journey and Styx, and of course the old bats still at the bar at closing time.

Hope that helps, it was fun thinking about it…

7. TRIUMPH TERROR

TRIUMPH TERROR

Avoid the traditional dickface that is telling me my car is not traditional.They dont stop to think maybe I am starting a new tradition so 40 years from now someone can build a car like mine.And most the time the people who are tellin you something aint traditional were just eatin baby food and shittin green a few years back.:D
    I also agree about that pullin out where's the fun in that.
    Shoe

8. BOONES FARM WINE!!!!! Awwweee naaaaa ya don't.....thats going too far. I grew up on that stuff, made me what I am today........wait I don't drink anymore, never mind.-MIKE:eek: :D :p

9. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Vintage women. Back on the prowl at 52 and all the women my age are OLD.

10. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

:eek: Southwind gasoline heaters.LOLT.OUT

11. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

Pinned rockerarm studs,in a SBC. Valve spring shims. used timing chains. Reused gaskets.Dog turd seals.Corbin hose clamps.Red locktite. Torched springs.Old English800. Bacardi 151. Fiberglass flex fans. Cassette tapes.carbon-zinc flashlight batteries.Cotton-web seatbelts.Curb feelers. Jeweld mudflaps Fuzzy dice.Fire burnouts,,:D Sparky

12. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

For me? I avoid any of the following:

1. Stovebolt Chevy engines!
    2. 6v systems.
    3. Closed drivelines.
    4. Small block Chevys!!!!:D
    5. Generators.

Yeah, yeah...I know, not very HARD CORE of me, but we all have our quirks, eh?!?

:p :cool:

13. Mutt

Mutt

My ex-wife.

Mutt

14. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

Yes, all of that stuff, except Peavey amps. I still use Peavey bass amps, and PA heads, and the newer bass guitars. They are easy to get parts for, right from the factory in Mississippi. I tend to avoid the "Old Hide" that is in charge of the seniors dance. :eek:

pigpen

[​IMG]

15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

-Vintage automatic transmissions...Turboglides, Dynaflows, Hyrdamatics...
    -Non synchro'ed manuals...you need 1st sometimes and you just can't get it.
    -Torque tubes
    -6 volts
    -Holley "teapot" carbs

16. Looks like she collects the cash. Better stay on her good side, my friend.

If you didn't use Peavy crap you wouldn't have to live so close to the factory. I use an old Fender for little gigs and practice and have a VINTAGE Ampeg B-15 for clubs and big parties. Anything bigger and I'll run through the house.

But I never need parts. You need to put some chicken wire up between the bandstand and the rowdy drunks. Get them to quit kicking your amps with them pointy toed boots.

cp

17. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Long shackles. Makes for some weird handling

18. Chewie

Chewie

Hairy hippies (hell, any fuckin' hippies) ...unless I'm hunting.

Oh yeah, anything 6 volt.

19. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

used cams , lifters , used motor bearings

20. My favorite so far...

21. pigpen

pigpen
    from TX USA

An Ampeg B-15! I'm impressed. One of the Peaveys that I have is an 18/20 cab with a MK 1V head. 300 Watts of quivering delight and I have to run it on low volume all of the time. Makes for good head room though. I sometimes use my old Fender Super Reverb guitar amp for bass. Works good; lasts a long time. (34 years so far)

Chicken wire? On a bandstand in Texas? No way. Why would that ever be needed here? Actually, I think that chicken wire could just be the final cure for everything that's wrong with the world. Think about it! :rolleyes:

Here's a couple of pic's of what I've been having to deal with of late. You would think that a late model F150 would last longer than 63,000 miles. But no! I had to buy the first year of the 4.2 V6 production run (97). That's right, the year with all of the problems. :mad:

pigpen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Hey where's the other two cylinders?? You sure can blow stuff up, Rich.

I like the sound of Chicken Wire Diplomacy. Might be the answer in the Middle East, huh?

cp

23. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

chinese food. it will affect you more than any of the above listed vintage items.

24. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

-Drum brakes
    -lap belts
    -non-safety glass
    -the shitty 235 oil filter set-up
    -rope seals
    -AM radio-now anyway
    -The 'vintage' crap at the bottom of my gas tank that sometimes makes it presence known in very uncool ways:(
    -and...dirty hippies.With ya on that one, Chewie.

25. Old Gas. and old hoses.

26. J.C. Whitney and other cheapo no name floor shifters!!! :rolleyes: Guaranteed to cause you grief!!! :(
    Max

27. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'll note the word MOST........I seem to always end up with the car that doesn't have a taper counterpart!:rolleyes: Luck of the draw I guess....
    xxx
    Brandy

28. Oh i almost forgot top hats and handel bar mustaches those kill.

29. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Speakin of luck.......anyone said 58-64 Chevrolet X frames yet??? Yeah, they suck!
    xxx
    Brandy

30. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

Why do people hate the Xframes so much? (Other than the fact that they're a pain in the ass to run dual exhaust on)