Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 Pontiac Starchief

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BurqueBulli, Sep 2, 2011.

1. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

wow, nice work! love this year of pontiacs

2. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

Thanks guys. I work from home on the stuff when I'm not wiping snot off the noses of my five kids. You're not lazy - I'm just spoiled.

3. cj6894

cj6894

Five kids? That explains it, you must have them scrubbing on this thing.

4. slumhustler

slumhustler
    from Maine

Great progress on the poncho....I have a 59 2dr that I am piecing back together and have ripped nearly everything off of it so if you run into any issues feel free to ask. Just a suggestion, I would check your heater control valve...there should be a plate on the heater housing...under the pass side dash it's easy to find....when I tore into mine the housing was rusted to bits due to the heater core/control valve leaking...which is one of the many things I have to find a replacement for....it would be worth the look if you have not already checked it...hate to get all that nice carpeting and interior work done only to have antifreeze leak all over the place....

but looking good...love seeing another of the old land yachts being brought back to life....

5. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

Seat covers are on! They're period correct anyway and do make it look a little cleaner than the worn out og materials. A little time in the sun and then I'll use the heat gun to tighten them up.

I still can not get rid of the flat spot off idle. Any ideas? Here's what I've done so far:
    - Carb cleaned/rebuilt
    - acc pump working fine - can see the squirt on the throats
    - adjust aac rod to remove slack
    - adjusted timing
    - the fat idle screw on back of the carb: idle is smoothest with this all the way in - carb manual said to start with it 3 turns out - that is no go. Even at one turn out the sucking sound is loud and the idle rough. ????
    - pulled, cleaned, and re-gapped all plugs.
    - re-gapped points at .016

It's a rochester 2gc

Attached Files:

6. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

I really like that old car. Would look good next to my 48!

48 Poncho

7. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

More pics to clog up the web:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

Anyone in the morning crew have a suggestion?

9. caddy-man

caddy-man

Check for a vacuum leak at base of carb & throttle shaft.

10. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

1) Which 3m rubbing compound did you use? The paint looks darker now which is fine--before it was somewhat pinkish.

a) Does red tend to fade differently/more severely than other colors or is it my imagination?

2) Does your 2G have only one idle screw for hi-step ,mid-step and curb or does it actually have a seperate screw for fast idle?

3) Yes, i agree pontiacs can be romantic, but i was thinking more along the lines of on the hood of trans am.........you did not need to know that.

4) The inevitable question pops up, Is this the same as an impala? At any rate, i think this looks much better than an impala.

11. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

Checked for leaks at gasket and around - nadda.

1) Perfect-it compound - before buffing it was oxidized with a white film
    2) there is a fast idle screw on back (big fat vaccum screw) and an idle screw on the side that opens the butterflys - it is currently set where the butterflys are all the way shut.
    3) TNI
    4) Same floor pans and windows as an impala I believe.

The acc pump squirts solid if you hit it fast - at a normal push I don't see a stream or dribble. Is it possible it's pushing gas back up past the sides of the cup instead of through the carb body?

12. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

I just swapped carbs with another 2g I had. Had to change the throttle plate shaft and some linkage but it fixed things right up. Looks like the old one is just not giving the squirt - probably a clogged passage. I'll soak it again and try get it fixed. BTW - 389's are beasts!

13. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

Just posted it up for sale. :( Someone buy my other cars so i can keep this one!

14. BurqueBulli

BurqueBulli

ah crap - nevermind