Register now to get rid of these ads!

How does a guy keep up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Danburnsart, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Danburnsart

Danburnsart
    from 59044

I'm just feeling frustrated and overwhelmed tonight. How do people keep up with their projects? I have alot of 'em, but I know people out there have more....I love looking at build photos, seeing people make progress on their rods. I have so much to do to get ready to begin work on my rods....I just dont know how to keep up with it all.

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

We all lose momentum at some time in the build and have to walk away for a while until the urge returns. I find that doing a build thread helps. Every night or so you can post some text and pictures of what you accomplished and the people following the thread keep asking for updates which keeps you moving. I usually get a litte upset when I see the stack of receipts from places like Coker, Summit, and Speedway getting higher. :eek:

Above all, you have to keep reminding yourself that this is our hobby and is for fun.........when it stops being fun take a break. :)

Don

Yeah, I do the same as stickwelder said below, and cross off each job as I get it done, sort of my little treat to myself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. stickwelder

stickwelder

I keep a cheap spiral notebook. I list a project and then list the stuff I want to get done. Then I list the next project and so on. Putting it done in writing gets it out out my head. It doesn't seem so overwhelming. Infact, I was listing my projects when I read your post.

4. RatPin

RatPin

Yep, lists play a vital part in progressing on a project. Just remember "long term" can't happen all at once. I'm almost 2.5 years into mine, and I can almost see the light.

It just takes time (and lots of $$) Be patient and try not to get too overwhelmed or you may just give up altogether.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I find ... that for me anyway

One project at a time. FOCUS on one project. All the other stuff is just a distraction.

Over 20 years ago I had 4 or 5 projects, lots of parts and some O/T vehicles too. A older man told me I should get rid of all the other stuff ( 56 F-100 Big Window, 49 Mercury Coupe ect ) and just have one. I considered the old guy a fool but about a week or two ... I came to the realization he was correct. I slowly sold off most everything that did not go on my 32 Ford roadster. It took about a year. Then I had a BIG pocketful of money :D :D

Whatever I needed for my 32 .. I bought. I worked on the car a lot ... then ... it was almost like magic. My long term project had become a finished, painted, upholstered full fendered all steel 32 Ford roadster.

One project at a time !!!

6. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

X2 on the ONE project at a time, not that you have to only own one at a time but just focus on one until it's done. Also I keep lists and check off each item as well, very satisfying and it also gives some scope to the project.

7. norms30a

norms30a

This is what I do and even more, I focus on just one area of the one car, for example,hmmm what should I do today, my driver door needs a patch panel so that's my project for today. When it is done I have a beer and say "that's nice" now hmmm what should I do tomorrow.Forget about the rest of the car or the job can be overwhelming.

8. Too many things going on is not freedom, it's jail.

Being honest about your skill level, time and budget is a big help as well. Just because somebody else can chop the top on their project in a weekend doesn't mean I will be able to...

9. Whatever you do, don't keep a running total of receipts going(at least don't let the wife do it!).

10. Words of wisdom...

11. F&J

F&J

Which cars would be the "last ones" you would sell if you lost your income? Sell the rest.

It's not like you won't find even better ones after you finish one or two keepers and got bored.

12. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Almost every day the wife says, 'what you going to fix on the truck today' I'll say well I should get those brake lines run & hook up the trans cooler. Than I get out in the garage & think to myself, I don't feel like crawlin under that thing today. So than I do some welding & grinding, which I like to do & after gettin a little motivated I get done what I've been putting off. Guess I'm a slow starter at my least favorite jobs.

13. kingpins

kingpins

everyone of these guys are right...im pretty young (28) so im gun hoe right now but i have been in your shoes, specially with money. that slows me down more than anything. i have a bunch of other bodies ive bought cause they were the right price and i go behind shopping centers and get wood pallets and put the bodies on and keep them in the back yard and dont touch them until im cranking up what ive been working on. one at a time like these guys say is the key. and i also buy parts every now and then when they come up for other projects and save them till im ready to start on one of the bodies in the back yard. if your frustrated take a break...dont let it beat you down...good luck

14. BigEd

BigEd

"I have so much to do to get ready to begin work on my rods..."

I find it helps to have my work area ready for me to work.
    If I have to move stuff out of my way before I can get down
    to work, I tend to put it off.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

When I start a project I list what I'm going to do, then break that down even further within the list to areas such as drivetrain, body, interior, etc. Then once I get going I work on it every day if possible. I might not do a lot each day, but I accomplish something every chance I can.
    I concentrate on one project and don't go to any others until that one is as done as I want it.

16. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On my lists, I don't cross things off just because they're ordered. I just update the entry by writing 'ordered' next to it. They don't get crossed off until they're actually installed.

17. banginona40

banginona40

I usually have a few projects going at once but think of each one as a hundred small projects. One step at a time. For me it's all about the build, having something to do in the shop. I don't seem to drive them much any way.

18. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

For example, I suck at doing bodywork so I have to have it done =( in the meanwhile I start collecting pieces and working on the mechanical stuff. But i think it is key to have only one project.
    I have a friend who has now like 5 ongoing projects but all of them were working cars..nowadays he can't use any of them because they are all in pieces..I really think that what he likes is to tore them apart...

19. ErikDaViking

ErikDaViking

Lots of good advice above, I use a list myself. Feels good to cross things off. Also, don't think about the whole job, break it down into a bunch of little jobs and focus on one or two at a time. Instead of thinking "I need to repair all the rust", think " I need to replace the drivers side floorboard", and work on it till its done...You'll see the progress towards your goal and feel better.

Big one for me is take pictures! Take them before you start and every time you get something done or even significantly improved. I made a build thread with mine, but even if you just store them on your computer or something you can go back and look through them when you feel frustrated. All the little stuff adds up, and before long you can see real progress through the photos.

I also believe you are better off not having a bunch of projects stacked up. I always am seeing cars or bikes I want for good prices, but I don't get them. (Its hard sometimes!) They would just sit there teasing me, making me stressed that they are not getting done...I actually got rid of a couple of motorcycles that were waiting on me because realistically it was gonna be at least 5-6 years before I could even get started.

Last thing I would say is if it isn't fun for you, maybe you should sell your current project and get one that is closer to finished...My truck was a rust pile when I got it, I've had a lot of fun but my next project WILL be driveable the day I bring it home!

20. Sit down and write up a list of things that prevent you from working on your project. Find out what the real "block" is and then write down what needs to be down to cure the problem. Knock those things out first.
    Above all, work towards your project everyday. Even if you can only spend 15 minutes on it, it all adds up. That creates momentum.
    I also use notebooks. One for each project. The notebook is your memory that is easily accessed. When you can't think of what to work on, it is there.

~Alden

21. Set goals.

Now that said set attainable goals. Take a large project and slice it into little bites. As you finish each goal you will be encouraged. Take that encouragement and apply it to the next goal.

One other thing. I am not good at this but it will really help. Focus on one project at a time. Once in a while it doesn't hurt to fiddle with something else if you are getting burnt out but the only way you will finish one project is to focus on that particular project.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  22. fleetside66

fleetside66

23. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Me too, my post might not have been clear. At the end of a workday when I am sitting around, I cross off the items I actually installed or built. For example, I do a page for every area of the car, like "Front suspension, things to do." If I paint the axle I cross that off the list. It is a little game I play to reward myself and let me see I am getting stuff done.:)

I also write down in that little book part numbers for parts that I have installed on a car. Two years later when your brake light switch goes out you will never remember what car it came off of unless you have the part number to refer back to.

Don

24. squirrel

squirrel

what makes you think I can keep up with my projects? I have one that I keep in decent shape and drive a lot, but the other 5 are in need of a lot of time/money/effort, and I expect I might get one or two done in the next 20 years if I live that long and keep going at the rate I am.

Time to sell a few things.

25. 53PlymCran

53PlymCran

I actually got discouraged with my car up to the point where I put it up for sale. With a 3 year old (who's now almost 4, next month!), and single income, I just couldn't afford to buy all the parts I needed to get the car working (without charging it all on a credit card), and then there's the time factor - I don't feel right ignoring my kid while I'm out working on the car... I normally see if he wants to be out there with me, but usually he gets bored, as 3 year olds are wont to do. I ended up selling the car... Fortunately, the guy couldn't finish paying for it, and I got it back, and now I'm feeling pretty inspired about it now!!

26. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a close call!

Good way to get kids involved is to make a game of stuff. Yes, their attention span is shorter, but it will get better. Find something they can do nearby (that is safe) while you're wrenching. If you make it a game or a challenge, my experience is that they will keep at it just a little longer. Also, reward them with something they like each time they are particularly helpful or patient. That way they are more likely to grow to enjoy being in the garage.

27. Butch Clay

Butch Clay

Some really great advice here.

I can't really add much but one thing that helps me is using lists. Not just for the car project but everything else also. Of course the fact that I'm on the HAMB means I have violated my list today.:D

Seriously, don't worry about next week Thursday or 2013 etc. Make out a weekly list for the week and like Don and the others said, have fun. When the week is over not only do you stand a good chance of accomplishing what you wrote down but you will feel a great sense of personal accomplishment.....pat on the back sort of thing as they say.

Tonight I'm focused on having a beer while pulling apart a set of heads for new valves, springs, and rockers. What I'm not worried about is the rest of the project, if I do- it just gets me un-focused.

Butch

28. It helps me to never have more than one vehicle down at a time.

If my other stuff runs and drives, then I usually don't feel overwhelmed if one vehicle is torn apart. (I'm lumping my OT stuff in as well)

As for individual projects....at the beginning, lists are super. As the project progresses, I find that it's necessary for me to only work on one or at the most, two aspects of the car at once. Everything else is literally put away in cabinets or on shelves.

If I can't see it, it doesn't usually distract me. Then my current "thing" is the only thing out on the bench or the garage floor, etc.

29. I hate to be the barer of bad news. The older you get the more difficult it is to finish a project. 'Getaer dun'