Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP....Top Radiator Rod Bracket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rocket hot rod, Sep 25, 2011.

1. My damn radiator rod bracket has begun to break off the tank again. This is the third time in about 5 years. Seems to break the same way all the time (left side first). This past Spring I had the radiator re-cored and refurbed by a reputable radiator shop, they did a beautiful job. This is the first break after the refurb. The bracket is soldered to the tank.

I have the lower rad mounts with springs (loose) and rubber pads. The rods are hard bolted to the firewall (each in their own bracket), and the rad bracket at the front. I have a good sturdy boxed frame also. Car rides smooth with no front end vibration.

In the pics you can see the rod positions in a free standing state. They really are not at any funny angles producing abnormal stresses on that bracket. If anything they are pushing down on it slightly.

Are these rods suppose to be floating, rubber mounted or something??? Any ideas or tips?? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

My 2 cents...fab. the radiator to the grill shell,then send the rods to the grill shell from the fire wall.

3. If you can get it clean enough, have it silver soldered, but it has to be real clean, with all tinned solder removed.

4. I will find out how the radiator shop welds this on tomorrow when I bring it in.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Ask your radiator shop why it keeps breaking loose. They should have some ideas.
    Beyond that, contact the radiator manufacturer (i.e. Walker) along with pics and see if they can make the call as to wether it's a mechanical or a craftsmanship issue.

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I had a friend ( non deceased ) who had the same issue. We removed the spring setup between the radiator and the crossmember. Bolted solid. BOTH my 32's are done this way. :D

PROBLEM solved.

Also ... does your front end have bounce or shaking ???

Could be part of the problem.

7. Dirk35

Dirk35

You might have too much movement in the radiator as Deuce Roadster refered to. I had my 35 Ford Pickup running for about 5 years before I sold it and the front end rode pretty rough (cut too much out of the springs) and the engine had a pretty lumpy cam. All I used for cushion was a section of bicycle inner tube folded in half and a hole drilled in it so you really couldnt see the cushion inbetween the mounts.

8. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

use wellnuts in the crossmember and use a rubber insulated washer over the top of the mount. Wellnuts are like a rubber nutzert and are available at most ace hardware stores, they got the padded washers too. 1/4 20 is plenty and I use 2 per side.

once the wellnuts are tightened down there is enough thread left exposed on the bottom side of the crossmemeber to add a fender washer and a nut to lock everything in place just in case things get interesting.

this gives it a bit of cushion but not nearly enough travel to shake the support brackets to death.