Register now to get rid of these ads!

I assume it would be a Walker radiator?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost of ElMirage, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I just wanna check with everyone. I need a radiator for my 28/29 AV8 and I assume it would be a Walker radiator am I right ?

Thanx all

2. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

I have used them in a most of the cars I've had, never any problems I hear that radiator shops don't like them because of the top tank soder lip is small, was never an issue with mine............

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Opinions vary ... but

I always buy the " Z " series Walker. Not inexpensive ... but they cool my 400 plus horsepower engines ... and the temps stay under 200 no matter what the conditions.

Some say that the aluminum is better :confused:

The copper/brass Walker LOOKS right in a early Ford.
    Buy the correct Walker shroud also ...

4. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Or should I just pick up an original and convert it to use with my Flathead ?

5. Walker makes a good radiator, as well as Harris and Griffin. Griffin makes the least traditional of the three. There are no doibt other brand names out there that produces a good piece but those are the only ones I can pull out of mu butt at the moment.

If you are building an AV8 as in a flatty in a model A you could also get your original recored and an extra pipe welded into the top tank for another option.

6. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

I was kinda thinkin that as another route

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Our first walker was a sprinkler. But we have been very happy with our second one.

8. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

yeah nothing is perfect

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm partial to Walkers. They are pricey but do the job. The last one i bought was in the car 10 years and going strong when I sold it.

10. I've got a Griffen in my 29. Fits well and cools my 290 HP small block with no problems. Speedway Motors 3 years ago it was $ 399.00. Very happy with it. I do use an electric fan though.

Attached Files:

11. cryobug

cryobug

I have had two walkers and neither one would cool the cars they were in. I bought the first one and the second one I got with a project car, replaced it with a Griffin and cured the problem. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!. buy a Griffin and paint it black

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

Without getting into the "aluminum ain't traditional" thing, I bought a PRC aluminum radiator for my flattie powered AV8 and it's top quality.

Bob

13. Had a Walker that was in my 32 when I bought it in 1989. Just sold the car early this month with the same radiator. One visit to the radiator shop in all that time and it was my fault. Cooled a blown SBC with no problems. Got a walker in the replacement 32 I bought 2 weeks ago. Tamer engine and cools nicely.

14. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I believe i will hunt down both a Griffin and a Walker and look at them in person and make a final decision that way. Have a nice weekend all

15. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Ok, I'll bite....never heard of PRC...who makes it? I need the same but walker is pricey to say the least.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Dad's has a BeCool AL radiator and is extremely thrilled.

17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I also like PRC radiators a lot. Extremely nice folks to deal with, and they make a very good product. We have bought 3 or 4 from them and each one has been perfect. Here is their site, and they will custom make whatever you need. The Brassworks one in my 27 is over 20 years old and is on it's last legs, I will replace it with a PRC for sure.

http://www.prcracing.com/aluminum-radiators.html

Don

18. the-rodster

the-rodster

If you're doing an AV8, you gotta go brass. Aluminum just aint gunna look right.

Yeah, Walker aint cheap, but mine cools my flattie in ANY weather.

Rich

19. I use a Brassworks in mine and does a super job of cooling my .30 over 302 SBF

20. bobscogin

bobscogin

http://www.prchotrod.com/

Bob

21. donkeyfarm

donkeyfarm

A few of my buddies have Walkers and love them. They are z series in a's and run around 140. I'm going Brassworks. A couple of my dad's friends have had Brassworks for years and no problems. Local, a little cheaper priced then a Walker, and a HAMB alliance member.

22. Demon Seed

Demon Seed
    from BF-AZ

PRC cools my hemi with no effort. It can idle in the heat all day long at 180. Walker is good, so they say, but a PRC will cool just as well or better at less than half the cost.

23. Von MoPar

Von MoPar
    from Australia

24. jcs64

jcs64

trying to deal w/ Walker right now! Mines only 7 yrs old and its been leaking for the last yr but just let go this past weekend, Green EVERYWHERE!
    I was told by locals that theres all leaked around the top of the core after a short time, and mine would too. Well, they were right.
    So far my email to them for advice has gone unanswered for almost a week. At least theyre being consistant w/ quality and customer service.
    I cant recomend them.

Jeff

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've tried on a couple of occasions to buy a radiator from Walker and found them less than friendly on the phone. When I built my 27 about 20 some years ago I called Walker and gave the guy the dimensions of the radiator for the 302 I was running. He very bluntly said "I won't sell you one because it is too short to cool it" and that was the end of the discussion. I called the Brassworks and they built it and it cooled fine for all these years.

Same thing happened when my Son built his T Bucket, I called Walker for him and the guy was just as unfriendly as the first time. Said it wouldn't cool, even though I told him they sell that radiator to Total Performance. :confused: My Son ended up buying the Walker through Total Performance and it runs around 190 and below.

I refuse to deal with people who treat you like crap, that is why I like PRC. I met the President of PRC years ago at Turkey Run and he spent a lot of time talking radiator theory with us. We have bought 3 or 4 from them so far and the people you get on the phone are more than accomodating and friendly, and their product really does the job.

Don

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Check with Mattsons in SoCal. I have a brass one they made years ago.

27. Canuck

Canuck

Got a US Radiator for my Model A with a 425 Buick. Looks great with excellent workmanship and sized exactly the same as a stock A rad for tit to chassis, rad shell and support rods. Got it through Rick's Radiator, sent to North Dakota for me. All good so far.

Does it cool? Does it last? Good questions. Time will tell, but it looks real good so far.

Canuck

28. Gman0046

Gman0046

Walker's are made out of copper which has better cooling properties then aluminum. If weight is an issue go aluminum (thats why NASCAR uses them).

29. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

I had every intention of buying a Walker Cobra radiator for my coupe even though the cost was above $500 and climbing. I had one a few years ago and was very satisfied. When copper took the "Big Jump" this past summer and the price skyrocketed way past the $600 mark, I decided to look elsewhere. I ended up buying an aluminum radiator from Brice Turner Radiator. It has stamped tanks, a 2 1/2" thick core and seems to be very well made. I got it chopt 2" for my model A on deuce rails and still paid considerbly less than $400 including shipping. Only time will tell if it does the job...

30. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Ive used the Walkers and never had a problem,i also once had a 27T with a china ebay speical,and it worked fine...i guess it depends on how much money you can afford to spend...