Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Vintage "Cageless" Midget Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KKx125, Feb 22, 2009.

1. gearguy

gearguy

Lee:
    I'm restoring the Harry Weed Edmunds-VW [LWM-393] and would like to see some photos of it during the late 1980 thru 1983 NEMA/ARDC seasons.
    It was red & blue #3, sort of a Petty STP paint scheme. Most of the body panels (tail tank and undernose excepted) are the original paint, lettering, and decals.
    Might you have some pictures of it in your archives? PM or e-mail [[email protected]] purchase info if you do. I am fairly certain the Weeds raced it in Atlantic City.

Thanks,

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

2. sideways27

sideways27

That is what I have been searching for. The nose on my Hillegass appears to be the same as the 3rd one from the right. I have found a grill and will need to rework the nose to fit the grill as the one on the car is a Kurtis. Trying to get the car correct. When I stripped the paint I found the origional color on both the nose and the cowl but the car had been flipped bad in its early years and the tail was changed. I always thought the nose was origional to the car but could not find one that was vertical. I know Hillegass built very few midgets in the 30's and only have one to compair it with and it is the one they are calling the house car. That one has a different nose and grill but it was custom built for a chrome co. and the deal fell thru.
    Thank You for the picture it is a great help.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. LEE GREENAWALT

LEE GREENAWALT

I'll see what I can come up with, it may take some time due to I have to look through negitives. Do you know if the car ran at Williams Grove?
    Lee

4. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

I don't think so Lee, Harry ran mostly NEMA and asphalt races.

5. gearguy

gearguy

An interesting story Harry Weed II told me during shipping negotiations on the car:

Sleepy Tripp had a sister car [LWM-394 according to Harry] on the eastern USAC swing in 1981. At Grandview for an ARDC race the night before the USAC show Sleepy borrowed a wing to join the ARDC field. Unbeknownst to him, Don Edmunds was coming out to tune on the car -they were amongst the first group of coil cars built- and the moment he saw there were wings on the car [from outside in the sign in line] he turned around and went home to California.

Can anyone confirm this really happened?

6. DocF

DocF

I can't confirm this, but it sure sounds accurate. Edmunds was as opposed to wings as I am.

Doc

7. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

That doesn't sound right to me. If the ARDC race was before the USAC series, which does NOT allow wings, why would they go back to California rather than sit the one race out and race the entire USAC series? I was there for that series but don't remember that happening. I DO remember either Tripp or Vogler borrowing a wing and finishing second in an ARDC feature at Grandview, but then winning the race, as the race winner was penalized for jumping a restart or something. I'm not sure if that race was one of the 1981 series in question or it was a different year.

8. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

After re-reading the post, I may have erred in thinking that the post said Sleepy went back to CA rather than just Don Edmunds. Maybe Don left but Sleepy stayed.

9. DocF

DocF

I think your re-read got it right. I would doubt that Sleepy and his car-owner would tow back to California for that. I know that Edmunds would not have been at a winged show.

I never really understood why ARDC got infatuated with wings. It did not make things more even. The guys who could drive like you and Earnshaw and Nick Fonoro still did the winning. It just added to the costs for the owners. The more hooked up you get, the more engine you need and the more parts break just from being hooked up.

I love this board. I have run into more folks I used to know and it is so good to know they are still around.

Doc

10. daveww1

daveww1

More of the EMMR tour.
    [​IMG]

11. daveww1

daveww1

12. daveww1

daveww1

13. daveww1

daveww1

14. daveww1

daveww1

15. TommyA19

TommyA19

From what I can recall, Charley did not use a head gasket on the engine, but instead had grooves milled around each opening/hole and had wire (copper?) placed in the grooves. Can this be confirmed by anyone?

16. Bob Cicconi

Bob Cicconi

I love this board. I have run into more folks I used to know and it is so good to know they are still around.

Doc

Doc: I agree with you! This is a lot of fun!!<!-- / message -->

17. GSiekman

GSiekman
    from Maine

I am wondering if any one on here may remember my family's car that ran with nema around 1970-1976. In the begining it was blue and gold #40 and later it was painted red. My Dad and brother were the crew and I was pretty young. It was never very competitive but I have great memories of going to nema races and seeing the different divisions we raced with (the supers of that era were awsome!). If there were any photos of our car I would love to see them, I have a few. It was a Curtis chevy 2. I believe Jack Doucette (sp?) did most of the driving for us. Thanks in advance and I am glad I found this discussion board, it the best!

18. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

A few weeks ago I was asking if anyone knew any thing about the midget roadster at the top of this photo. On the last page a photo was posted of the car at the bottom, to my eye these are the same car or built by the same person ?????

Attached Files:

19. aXe33

aXe33
    from Austin Tx

I see several differences in these cars leads Me to believe they are not the same car?However it could have been changed But why change bumper mounting positions, Side nerf and cage angled braces?
    aXe

20. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Ok it may not be the same car but guys make unbelievable changes over the years, everyone has a better idea. So tell me about the lower car in the photo. I am interested because the upper car is in my shop.

21. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The top car looks like Doug Craig. Unfortunately Doug is no longer with us. He may have built this with Norm Smiser's help. Norm and Doug did many things.

Hope that helps.

22. Zoera

Zoera

Very common in the aircraft industry, they use a 'crushable' o-ring in the vital areas in place of a gasket. Gaskets are rare, usually replaced by exact tolerance machining or o-rings. Some of these midget pioneers were way ahead of their time.

23. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Jim,
    Thanks for info, I will try to post again tonight with info I have.
    Steve

24. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

25. gearguy

gearguy

Blacki-Suede:
    Gary is a Facebook friend of mine. I'll send him a message with this link.
    Steep asking price on thar E-Bay stash, IMHO.

Chuck Schultz
    Winfield, Illinois

26. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Yea, I thought that was pretty steep too, but interesting stash. Gary is the missing link as far as images and contacts in my Edmunds, CBM-7, restoration. Have info, photos, and have talked with all of the owners of the car except Gary Schooley. Bob Lithgow, the original owner/driver has passed, but his wife gave me and Don Edmunds a ton of info, images, etc.

You were a lot of help along the way as well.

Blacki-Suede
    aka Carroll Hamilton
    386-576-3946
    [email protected]

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I was towing my car home from Indy on Monday and passed by Havasu exit and so gave Ray Alcaraz a call on the cell.
    Despite serious health problems Ray is doing a terrific job in bringing this 3 day event (Nov 3,4,5) to fruition.
    In addition to the vintage sprints and midgets of the WRA and WCVR SWC-West Coast Vintage Racers SW Chapter he and Billy Shuman have been able to get the involvement of a half dozen vintage indycars (including myself, Larry Pfitzenmaier, Bud Taylor of MO, Bill Barringer (son of Texas legend George Barringer), and a few other probablys including Parnelli Jones.
    Hopefully all will show up, but you can never be sure.
    Here's the flyer if you would be so kind to pass it around and if any have some connection with vintage indycar, midget or sprint car owners please ask them to call Ray to discuss participation.
    http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/HavasuSpeedway%20Nov3-4-5%202011/scan0002.jpg?t=1316393452
    Best Regards
    To all the racers
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA
    [​IMG]
    Here's link to some photos from last year's event
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums/af233/carl44s/Havasu Spdwy Nov 5-6 2010 WCVR SWC-WRA/?start=all

28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I am helping a friend who also has what is believed to be an ex-Schooley car and would appreciate having that information also.

Thanks

29. gearguy

gearguy

Speedwrench:
    Which ex-Schooley car do you have? I wrenched on his ex-DariKool "space frame" car when Boyd Koneck Jr. owned it. It was pretty used up by then [1973].