Register now to get rid of these ads!

Streamliner bodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Phil1934, May 19, 2005.

1. Phil1934

Phil1934

I don't know if they need to be a specific model, but I passed a salvage yard on Hwy 41 just north of Forsyth, GA in Milner, but here in Ga. we give names to intersections. The yard was loaded with everything, which begs two questions, how did he get so much and why? But this was out front. He sells them for $225 each as dock floats.

2. junkman104

junkman104

I dont know about the rest of the country but there are a lot of military surplus auctions at bases here in the south. They buy low and sell high.

Thats the junk game.

3. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

My experience with Mil Surplus Auctions is that it's a HUGE HASSLE. And that the guys that do it end up bidding stupid low prices, network with others to get what they want, and then sell it at a reasonable price. FWIW, he's selling those tanks at a price equal to four clean, sealed 55 gallon drums, which is their equivilant for dock floats.

Some of the hassles I've seen at Mil auctions, having to bid on blind, unopened containers, having to remove incredible amounts of hardware or vehicles the same day, or within an hour, or be fined for their storage. Bidding on vehicles with only a 5 minute visual inspection, no touching, no opening, no driving allowed. You often have to pre-register months in advance, sometimes have to have a minimal security clearance, agree to give back anything sold accidentaly with no refund, prove that you have some financial backing (no small frys), and generally put up with the worst of govt. More power to the guys that will stick it out for us.

4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

There is someone in Council bluffs that has some of those ,but they really aren't as big of diameter as I think they should be. Does anyone know what size the one's are that everyone's using?

5. Ours is a P-51 tank. It's eleven feet long and 28 in Diameter at the widest point. It's going to fit a Pontiac four w/ no tranny and me quite snuggly. Sardine snuggly.

I have no understanding of how someone would fit in anything smaller.

6. Phil1934

Phil1934

Tony, you'd mentioned Hilborn. Do they still have the older manifolds? If not, www.ronsfuel.com has a couple two hole shooters that would work well and he has a pump mount for a Pontiac. You'd just have to whittle an intake transition flange. I don't remember if you got the driver or passenger half of a V8, but looks like you could flip the bracket if it's wrong sided.

7. Those look like F4 Phantom II tanks... Them are pretty big...:D big enough to fit a 261?... nah........

Jay

8. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

hey,you guys want tanks? i have lots of them in gainesville fl,i'm a landspeed racer,running a 57 fiat 600 with a northstar caddy in it,i had a 4 cyl mercruiser in it before that,half a 460 ford,aluim block,head etc..i still have that stuff if anybody likes 4 cyls. we race in maxton nc every month,its a 1 mile course with a 1 mile shutdown.i've run 171mph there with a bone stock northstar.. we race next weekend,you guys in the southeast need to come on down! its way cool!! randy

9. Phil1934

Phil1934

That's a Merc in my avatar. Hope to get back on the project soon. If you want to move it, there is someone on the www.inliners.org site wanting one. I caught the ECTA when they were in Moultrie, GA several years ago before they settled on Maxton.

10. dixiedog

dixiedog

Randy - welcome to the site, used to live in G'ville when I went to "THE" school. Sounds like you have some interesting stuff. How much you looking to get for the Mercruiser and what tranny mounts to these?

11. rlackey

rlackey

It sounds like I need to talk to you about my current project. I'm really needing tech input specific to landspeed racing rather than general rodding tech. Can I PM you some questions?

Rich :)

12. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

sure email me! [email protected]

13. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

a modified chevy bell housing works,i have a lakewood scattersheild thats been worked to fit,dude,i'll make you a deal on all this stuff.the 183ci engine went 186mph at bonneville.i have a 240 inch motor too,both need work,reassembly etc..cool engines,aluim blocks and head, randy