Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Engine makes Squeaking noise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Colombo, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Colombo

Colombo

I have a 54 ford with a 239 Y-Block and it is making a squeaking noise. I checked the belt tension and it is good. I even changed the belt to a new one and still makes the noise. It is only making the noise when I give it gas at higher torque. Once I get the car into 3rd gear it makes it all the time. I have checked the fan to see if it's the water pump and it does not seem to be bad nor does it leak water.

I have heard that it's probably the Alternator. I took the alternator to the auto parts store and they spun it with no noise from it. I am not sure what could be the issue.
    I am planning on buying a new alternator, but when I tell these kids at the shop that it's not in the computer (year of car) they are not able to help me. I ask them if they have the auto books and they just look at me with this stupid look.

Does anyone have a part number handy that I can give them for an alternator, one wire?
    How about any suggestions on what could be wrong with this thing?

Thanks

2. el shad

el shad

Did you try using a long screwdriver like a stethoscope to pin point it?

3. How about matching the old with the new as long as you have it off .

4. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

Maybe check the rocker arms for oil or lack of.

5. opu27

opu27
    from ONYX,CALIF

put a little sandwich jelly on the belt

6. Rogueman

Rogueman

Pull the belt off. Rev it up, if it don't make the sound your down to a couple things. We use to put soap on the belt.

7. nummie

nummie

ok, this sounds off the wall, but... carb to manifold gasket. that is if you have an aftermarket intake on it. a friend of mine put a 4 hole gasket on a circumfrance mount intake and it sounded like a duck was stuck in the intake.

8. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

I would concur about the gasket. Either manifold or head gasket.

9. Moon4975

Moon4975
    from Texas

Camshaft lifters can squeek when they are going bad.

10. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

This happened on my old 389 Pontiac and it took awhile to figure it out. Blocked oil passage. Ran a couple quarts of Rislone through it and two oil changes and got it lubing again.

11. mysteryman

mysteryman
    from atlanta

i had a car doing this.changed out just about everything under hood,ended up being the distributor.i sprayed wd 40 where shaft comes through housing hasnt done it since

12. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Why are you replacing a good alternator? Before you go chasing wild geese, you have to narrow down the source of the squeaking. Do you have any friends that know about cars?

14. Take the fan belt off and run it. If the noise goes away then you know it's either the water pump or the alternator. The kid at the parts house is never gonna find your alternator because a 239 Y-block would have come stock with a generator. If you know the alternator is causing the noise, take it out and see if you can find any part numbers on it. It's pretty common to find Y-blocks with the generator removed and a GM 1-wire alternator in its place.

15. Colombo

Colombo

OK, I checked and rechecked the issue and found out the bracket used pushed the alternator forward which make the belt rub on the fan pulley. I tried to move the alternator back but now the lower alt. bracket hits the alt. fan. I think it is using the old lower generator bracket and has no angle to keep it from hitting the alt.

Can anyone recommend an alternator bracket for a 239 Y Block. I will be using a one wire GM alt.

Thanks in advance

16. Look up L.D. Becker on the web. He sells a nice alternator that fits your original brackets, and includes instructions to switch the wiring around at the voltage regulator to make sure it works right. I've got one on my 57 and it works well. Otherwise check out John Mummert's website (ford-y-block.com) I think he sells an alternator bracket too.