Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds 394 engine mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Don's Hot Rods, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I mentioned earlier that I am using a 1964 Olds 394 in my current project, with a TH350 via Bendtsens adapter. The problem was figuring out a good way to build front motor mounts because the commonly available Hurst Olds mounts will not work with the later 394 engines due to Olds changing to an aluminum timing cover.

We wanted something that kinda looked like Hurst mounts, but it had to mainly bolt to the bottom of the timing cover (that is where Olds put the one center mount on these). So my Son Dan and I put our heads together and came up with this mount. It uses early Ford bisquits on either side, and puts most of the load on the proper spot on the timing cover. The two additional bolts per side will keep it from bending and give a little additional support to it.

I have to give most of the credit to Dan, he did the majority of the actual fab work, but I am pretty happy with how it came out. I thought this might help someone else who is trying to mount one of these late 394's in their car.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Originally, we were thinking we could simply use that front mount and then the one on the TH350 tailshaft, but some members on another forum said they felt it would be too much strain on the bellhousing, and I had to concede they were probably right, so we built a second set of mounts to bolt to the 3/4 inch Bendtsens adapter plate, and these simulate what Olds did originally.

We didn't want to use the huge Olds original crossmember, so we made these like the front mounts, using Ford bisquits again. This should really support the center of the engine well, plus we will still put another crossmember under the tailshaft of the transmission and use a Chevy mount there.

Here is a picture of how we made the center mounts. We also got the frame mounts welded on last night, but haven't put the motor back in yet to take a picture of that.

Don

[​IMG]

3. Don
    Thanks for the info and inspiration. I have my fronts worked out although I still haven't put them on paper. but I have been stuck on my mid mounts. I like yours real well.

4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You're welcome. I figured it might save someone else a little planning and work. Not that ours is the only solution, but just one way to do it.

Here is another shot of the center mount.

[​IMG]

Don

5. BigJim394

BigJim394

That is a nice design on the front mount. Years ago I made some Hurst Like mounts for a 1963 394 (went into a 40 Ford), but the side to side movement of the engine, eventually ovalled out the holes that go through the front engine cover (made of relatively soft die cast aluminum). With your mounts spreading the load to the holes in the base of the engine cover (where the factory Olds rubber rectangular biscuit mount originally went), that should not be a problem.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks Jim. We worried about the same thing, that the bolts going into the timing cover alone wouldn't be enough, so we put that 3/8 x 2 inch bottom plate on there, which should take most of the load.

Won't know for sure until the car hits the road, but it seems like it will be ok.

Don

7. Babyearl

Babyearl

I knew that if I waited long enough somebody would show me how to do this,, Thanks All.

Nice work by the way.

8. F&J

F&J

Some might not like the 5 mount setup, but I think it is needed with the super long TH trans hooked to the Olds extended block.

If you did not run the tail mount, imagine the weight on the 2 bell mounts.

I like it, esp the front design work, that's slick.

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Thanks guys. We kind of wondered about a 5 point mounting too, but we didn't like the idea of the aluminum TH350 just hanging out there in space, unsupported. I know some FWD cars use a similar setup, obviously not the same, but sorta. So we'll see how it works in the real world.

One nice thing, since the engine will be supported on four corners, if we ever have to drop and remove the transmssion for repairs all we will have to do is remove the rear crossmember, unbolt the bellhousing, and not worry about blocking up the engine at all. :D

Don

10. Nice job. I see the difference now between the 394" timing cover and the 371". I used the Hurst mounts on my 371" but modified them to catch three bolts plus a bolt going into the side of the block. I also used the stock rear mounts and made a cross member for the T 350 tail shaft.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A quick trip to the wrecking yard and a glance at the broken bellhousings on the Turbo 350 and 400 GM transmissions after side crashes ("T-Boned") will change anybody's tune that thinks '3 point mounting is enough'!
    Add to that the fact that most GMs mount in the center of the engine, not the front.
    The 5 mount design is superior. (Really like the fact you can drop the trans without jacking the engine! Totally servicable. Excellent work.)

12. chubbie

chubbie

Nice work Dan! this is very timely for us! we are working on the same set up. I was trying to come up with something just like that. Thanks

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

That's terrific, glad it gave some other Olds lovers some ideas. :)

BTW, in case anyone is wondering how the transmission will fit onto the adapter plate with those two side mounts in the way, the TH350 only bolts on ABOVE the red line in this picture. The bellhousing tapers away from the engine on a steep angle below that point and is totally clear of hitting anything there. We will have to modify or build a cover to replace the tin or plastic ones that are normally used, but that will be the easy part of this whole deal.

Don

[​IMG]

And here are some pictures from along the way, making the front mount. We started off by building a simple jig welded to our welding table, heated and then bent the two arms of the 3/8 x 2 inch steel strap.

[​IMG]

Here it is a little further along, after bending to shape, adding some rounded ends to support the early Ford bisquits, and bolting it to the engine for a trial fit.

[​IMG]

And just for reference, a rear view showing the offset needed to line up the timing cover with the bottom plate.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  14. chaddilac

chaddilac

that looks pretty cool!! Ol' Dan is pretty handy to have in the tool box!!! :D

15. Very nice work. I have a 394 for a long term future project and your plan seems very good way to mount the engine and trans.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, he is. :D And he works CHEAP too. :D

Tonight we got the motor put back on all 4 mounts, so I thought I would post a couple of pictures of how it sits in the frame. Now we just have to build a crossmember for under the tailshaft and then we can move on to the rear suspension.

Don

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 73RR

73RR

Nice fab work!

18. draginsteel

draginsteel

Don Does Amazing work he had a T Bucket thread on another Forum that was amazing.

19. oldfordtin

oldfordtin

Thanks for the idea, nice work