Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 Chevy dropped uprights...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uncle Pancakes, May 18, 2005.

1. Anyone here use Fatmans dropped uprights to lower the front of your Chevy? If so, what did you think of them? Thinking of maybe using a combo of Jamco front springs and dropped uprights or maybe just springs? Or maybe just uprights let me know what you think?

2. OutLaw

OutLaw

They are on my car right now and I haven't had any problems for 8 years now. I also cut 2 coils out of my spring.

3. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

hey Ted! you gonna drive that thing to Paso? good luck keeping up slowpoke :D hahahahhaha...

4. loogy

loogy

Got 'em on my '53. Been on there for 12 years. No problems.

5. Cool, thanks for the input! I'm thinking of tearing the whole front end apart and giving it a proper rebuild, so thought I'd drop it at the same time. No probs using the stock suspension parts with the fatman stuff?

George, looks like I may try it, and yeah I'll be towards the back of the line with 32Limey (someones got to keep him company) It will be war of the stockers on the 101 South!

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

yep, me too, with bags.

I like 'em

7. How far do the drop uprights lower the car?

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

2 1/2 - 3 1/2"
    depends on how old your coilsprings are.

9. rlackey

rlackey

Another idea that costs a lot less, and would just take a bit of backyard engineering is to 'z' the frame just in front of the firewall. You keep your stock uprights, all your stock suspension geometry stays the same and it won't cost you anything. It should give you a good 3", more if you cut a couple coils off the springs as well, or if you plan on channeling your body.

I haven't done it yet, but I'm planning to as soon as I get to rebuilding my chassis. I see two places I might run into problems, one is engine mounts, as the crossmember winds up about 3" higher in relation to everything else than it started, and the second thing is having to adjust and rework steering linkage to clear everything once I sort out the higher crossmember.

Just an idea, thought I'd throw it out there. If you like metalwork and fabricating / modifying existing parts, I'm sure it can be done well without loosing the structural integrity of the frame and without spending much more than the cost of the welding rods.

I've only ever heard good things about the dropped uprights though, that's definitely your easiest solution.

Rich

10. mikey1610

mikey1610
    from San Diego

Me too, no problems at all.