Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Hotrod Homelife Balance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davidbistolas, Sep 20, 2011.

1. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

I have my first coming in April also, trying like hell to get the 50 wrapped up by then. At least the big stuff. Looking forward to it, but I know its going to impact car time..and what time I leave the shop every day. Trying to hire a manager so I can get out early enough to enjoy my new addition.

2. lukey

lukey

Spending time with them when they are young (0-18mos) then letting them "help" with little jobs does wonders! I was able to side my 2 story house while watching all three of mine (3, 5, and 7 yrs old at the time) and you will be suprised how many "jobs" a little kid can handle. Mine have been helping since old enuf to walk. Now that they are 5, 7, and 10, they love working on the car, or remodeling the house with me. Just by letting them be there as i work, my 5 year old can remove tires, air up tires, and is helping with bodywork all the time. Well, almost helping but he tries and its worth having to fix little goof ups from time to time.

3. slider's house of kustoms

slider's house of kustoms
    from idaho

Great thread and advice everybody! I would like to add: Organization and focus. When I do get the three hours or less at night after the little ones go to sleep i find that if I have a specific goal in writting on paper on purpose (Tman as you can see i agree with you Dave Ramsey comment) I get more done; even if it's just tool round up that night. Also this one is tough for me.... Friend favors and some extra side jobs you hafta say NO! The worse is being in your own shop on precious time and all you can do is stare at your project because you thought painting a bike for a few extra bucks would help . I now tend to do help for help ie: I'll paint that if you will help me weld the rockers in mine. or stripe a car for tire mount and balance.

4. Toner283

Toner283

Like others have said, family first. Do your best to get her involved right from the start & take her out to car shows & such with you. Great for one on one time with dad & daughter. They will pick up on what they are surrounded by. Mine got a toy grinder for xmas last year & it was the favorite toy she got. She said "now I can grinder just like daddy" Made my day. :D

I have been giving my daughter car related stuff as gifts since she was brand new. She has a bigger hot wheels collection that most of the boys in her class @ school. My wife occasionally reminds me "she is a girl you know". Makes no difference to me, she will never be the can't check her own oil type of girl if I can help it. She is turning 5 in a couple of weeks and she is at the point where if I try to go to a car show without her she gives me heck for it, she enjoys them almost as much as I do. She also wants to be out in the shop with me helping with whatever I am working on.

Just because you had a girl does not mean she can't/won't be into cars.:) Whatever you do, don't chase her away if she wants to help on the car, she will probably get to the point that she will not want to work on cars anyway. Enjoy her wanting to hang out with & help you while you can.

5. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

this here is what i did with my twins, but i did it at nap time and made as much noise on the weekends!!!
    its tough dood, careful planning will get ya through, were the masters of our own chaos!

6. I've got two boys, 4 and 6. They are at a point where they can play in the back yard when I'm in the garage, or want to hang out with me. It is easier as they got older.

Part of my grand plan is to finish the Merc by next summer, seat belts, full interior, and we all will cruise to shows. They also like to drive fast and love cars.

But the Merc can easily end up sleeping 4-5 days in a row while I'm busy being the sole breadwinner and ded.

Mr48Chev, I quit racing too, I just help out my buddies on occasion:

[​IMG]

7. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

My first car cost me $120,000.....catch my drift?

8. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

no... no I don't...

9. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Family first,spending all your time in the garage,doesnt always turn out well.

10. Old&Low

Old&Low

I used to take three of my little ones to the shop with me after my day job and on Saturdays. Got a little done on cars but most of the time we spent making toys and dancing to oldies on the radio! Some of my best memories, and according to my 36 year old daughter she still remembers those days whenever she smells lacquer thinner or tinkers with her Hot Rod Mustang.

11. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Great thread, thanks for all the advice. We are expecting our first, a BOY, this January. My wife and I have thought a lot about what our plans are and fortunately my car is almost finished. I WILL finish the car before the end of the year, and my boy WILL come home from the hospital in it too.

After the car is done I will have a tremendous task in my life completed and can enjoy the next phase, which is family time. I plan to get the garage set up nicer, do small fab projects around the house and try my hand at building bike frames. That way I have some smaller projects that are not such a commitment and I can focus on family time as the first priority. I'm sure I will build another car, but I'm not setting a date. I just want our son to get here safe and sound, spend some uninterrupted family time, and then I can think about what to build next.

12. Family comes first.

In '72, I sold my '57 BelAir post, 327 4 speed and all, for almost nothing to buy a washer and dryer with a smaller loan. I abandoned the hobby for 22 years until my youngest, a daughter, expressed an interest in an old car before she was 16. Luckily, for all those years, I was able to keep my first and second cars in storage, both '29 fords, and had some raw material to work with. I built her a 29 ccpu, it took a first at Oakland in '93, and I started slowly easing myself back into hot rods. I finally built a nice workspace in 2005 and now, retired, I can spend almost every day in the shop, except when its time to see the grandkids. I am actively working on rebuilding my first car (1929 cabriolet) as a banger hot rod, and have a '29 coupe and a spare 392 waiting.

If it works out, spend time on the hobby with your growing family, if not just remember, the hobby will still be there after you finally get the time for yourself. I am having the best time of my life now.