Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got my 55 chevy Gasser on the road

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yruhot, Sep 5, 2011.

1. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

Hey yruhot, you did a hellava a turn around on that 55 looks good! thanks for the pics! Hey i like that scoop also , like too find myself too cover up my big hole in the hood!

2. Tony

Tony

Nice save man! The car looks great!
    I'm one that does not think all gassers have to be post cars, and you have produced yet another that just adds to my thought :)

Have fun with it, and NICE job!

Tony

3. yruhot

yruhot

thanks Panneton Bros. I've been admiring you cool cars also.I've always had a soft spot for 56's. My 1st gasser I tried to build was 56 and I purchased on on like 2002 another 56, but it's my cruiser. In fact we are headed over to Flaggstaff az. for their rt 66 days and car show. It's a really nice place to hang out qith the cars. And we have a vintage travel trailer I restored and painted to match the car. After a Summer of repairing a/c's I'm ready for some of the cool az mountain air.YRUHOT

4. yruhot

yruhot

Hey truckjunky24 if thats a blower and carbs poking through your hood I'll trad you straight up for my scoop.lol just kiddin, It's supposedly for a Shelby cobra gt, I got it at the Pomona swapmeet. this guy had a stack of them for like$12.00 ea. So I thought what the heck.lol.YRUHOT

5. yruhot

yruhot

Hi Tony thanks for the compliment. I think if memery serves me correct and I could be wrong this one time, but I thought the word was the post cars were like 150 lbs lighter that the Hardtops. So form a purely racing logic that was the one the racers liked. The hardtop being similar to the convertible had more supports toward the middle of the vechicle. Anyone? YRUHOT

6. Butch M

Butch M

Hey Doug have you picked a color for it yet ? love the wheels.Iam not sure but I think the frames are all the same axcept the convertible anyway love your car glad you saved it

7. yruhot

yruhot

Hi ButchM, I haven't picked a color yet I hope to get it in at least one color of primer.lol. Primer is a color isn't it? Thanks for the frame info. I know it's got a 55 sedan delivery frame under it now and there were a couple of frame mounts that didn't seem to align up with any body provisions.HUH? Anyway still tying up some lose ends and getting ready to install my "55Gaser" tags. yruhot

8. Mats-Henrik

Mats-Henrik
    from Norway

I took this picture in the desert outside of LV in 2009, is that the same car?

[​IMG]

9. MISTER TWISTER

MISTER TWISTER

yruhot, the 55 looks tuff as nails! perfect stance, sits just right.. gotta love those WTF looks... haha!

10. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Doug. Absolutely amazing story. Made my morning reading about your car and seeing the photos, before and after. Also, I LOVE seeing pics on the road. The car looks so right there.

A lot of ambition has turned this project into a winner.

Don't feel too bad about the gaps. These things weren't perfect to begin with. Acceptable facts by the factory prints were 1/8 to 3/8 inch on the panels. These Chevs often used every bit of that and then some right from the factory!

If you haven't seen it already, there are a bunch of tri five gasser pics at my fotki site below. Just scroll down to the gasser album. I'll add your pics up soon.

Looking forward to updates on this one!

11. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

I'm normally not a fan of hardtops. I prefer post cars, but this one I like! Very nice work. I gotta say I like the car better now then before it was wrecked!!! Drive the wheels off it and enjoy!

12. yruhot

yruhot

Hi Matts-Henrik, This isn't the same car bit I like it alot also. I have a friend that has a 55 chevy that looks alot like this one but it has a stock grille in it and different colored fenders etc on it. Thanks yruhot,Doug

13. yruhot

yruhot

Hello mr.twister thanks for the compliments on the car, Now I got to build some horsepower to match the tough as nails look she has. Heads,cam, more carb. They are having like 1/8 mile drags down,downtown Kingman az at the end of the month I thought about trailering her down and seeing what she would do but I'm broke from our trip to Flaggstaff az for the rt 66 days car show. Love that show. Too much rain though this year bit it cleared up for like 8 hours to get the show inand then continued.Never showed a car so dirty though but still placed a trophy.lol.yruhot.Doug

14. yruhot

yruhot

Hey redlinetoys, Yea a lot of work went into this car but I'm glad it's running,stopping , and turning. Got lighting wiring to get to and a 1001 things still but I look at it and smile. Can't stop. And i ask myself how doses such a ruff thing make you so happy? I guess I see how far my skills have come all together in this one project. I know it dosen't look like it but I've done and tried things I never thought I could do and had lots of help from friends when I needed it and it's not too bad. Been screwing with these things for like35 years since I was kid growing up here in the desert. We had to find things to entertain ourselves, you know go-karts,minibikes,dirtbikes dunebuggies and dragcars.lol. Anyway I need a little break and now that it's coolingoff a little I got to get back at it. Thanks yruhot.Doug

15. yruhot

yruhot

Oh redline toys, about the gaps I got a joke I tell people that I refer to the Mercedes commercial I think it was about the ball bearing rolling around the gaps I believe. Well I think you could roll a golf ball around these gaps.lol. I got a dvd of Two Lane Blacktop. you know the movie that warpped my brain. Anyway I must have paused that thing 100 times for details on that car and man I thought my car was ruff. that thing is crazy ruff, but so cool. ok later yruhot,Doug

16. Rebracer

Rebracer

55 two door hard tops always look better ... I am partial though! You have a very tough looking car! Great work

17. yruhot

yruhot

Hello c/gas55, glad you like my Hardtop, I'm usually a post guy but this fell into my lap and I kinda like it also. Don't like the flippers at the top of the doors but thats another project for another day. i looked at you site and you've done some pretty impressive work on your car also, I like. Say I see your are from Jersey Shores, you aren't one of those guys on that reality show? Just kidding I don't think any of those nit-wits have any of the skills you have. Ok take care an thanks for the comments. YRUHOT Doug

18. yruhot

yruhot

Hi rebracer,I looked at your profile and I liked the part about words you hate, I especially like the word green. When I see the word green I usually end up seeing RED.lol. As far as before pics if you scrool up a couple of pages I've posted several before the wreck and after the wreck. I'm glad most of you like the car better after the wreck. My buddy gave me the car after the wreck and was real proud of it before the wreck so this will be our little secret.lol.I like it better myself but we just have very different tastes. I Haven't showed him the car yet he'll probably hate it but will be glad I saved it.Later YRUHOT,Doug

19. yruhot

yruhot

Holy crap Redlinetoys, I went to you fotki.com site. I've been there before, I spent like 2 months there before and only got half way through. I broke my nose like 3 times falling asleep at the puter trying to stay awake, must stay awake, more gassers, must stay awake. lol just kidding, it's awesum. I love that black magic car, it's stunning. You did a ton of work there, great source for resources on gassers. You see what I had to go through just to post like 4 pictures on here.But I think I learned something,I just enter one photo at a time and wait until its like processed then add another photo and wait cause I think if you frontload the thing like it just says : Oh hell no, I aint gona process all that" At least thats how I understand how this thing works.lol.YRUHOT Doug

20. sheeeeeesh... mere mortals woulda walked away from that wad of metal. Excellent job on finding her shape again.

21. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Crack me up!!

22. hillbilly jim

hillbilly jim

Me too

Attached Files:

23. yruhot

yruhot

Excellent hillbilly jim. I like the paint scheme. Is this a model of what you are working on? It's so life like I have a had time telling.Thanks YRUHOT..Doug

24. hillbilly jim

hillbilly jim

Just a Redone 55 Street machine (1 18 Diecast)

Attached Files:

25. falfas55

falfas55

Great job on the save. Your doing great.

26. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

You're a brave soul to tackle a job like that...looking good.
    That's quite a save...keep up the great work.

27. solid

solid

Looks real mean. You saved it for sure...

28. yruhot

yruhot

A little bad news on the Gasser, after Sunday mornings little coffe and car show I was taking a couple of friends for some E-ticket rides ( ok if your too young to know what an E=ticket ride is you never went to Disneyland back in the day before debit cards,lol) and my fan or my radiator flexed a bit and the fan clutch scraffed the rad core. ONly one tube got damaged and it's bad at the radiator shop. Guy said no problem. Can't wait to get it back in.Got to modify my lower radiator mount. It's pretty tight at the top but need a little more structure on the bottom. But what a ride. I hit second and things start coming at you pretty quick.YRUHOT.....Doug

29. yruhot

yruhot

What a concept a 55 chevy gasser build off. I like it. why not, they do it with choppers.lol. unfortunaely, Mines almost does and your's is right behind me.lol. And then you got to pick a winner and like the choppers they usually both look awesum.Doug.yruhot