Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Butcher Boy's Charity Drive: 49 States In 7 Days, 14 Hours, 20 Mins, 49 Secs !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, May 20, 2011.

1. Day 7 Progress Report

Dave left Richland, Washington @ ~5:30am PDT ...

... @ 6:40am PDT, he was enjoying the sunrise in Yakima:

YakimaSunrise.jpg

... and @ 10:59am PDT, he was crossing the United States / Canada border:

Day 7 - Crossed the US~Canada Border (1059 PDT).JPG

CanadianWelcome.jpg
    Canadian Rodders welcome Dave at the border

Go, Dave. Go!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

From his SPOT tracker, it looks like he has 700 miles and 10.5 hours to go. Doable for sure as long as there's a road and bridge to carry him over to Hyder.

[​IMG]

Hang on Dave - the finish line is VERY close now.

[​IMG]

3. Here's just some of what the British Columbia Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure has had to contend with to get Highway 37A passable:

Beaver Pond.jpg Fan Creek.jpg Aerial Picture of Bear Canyon.jpg
    Road Washout at Big Canyon.jpg Pulling Away Debris at Bitter Creek Bridge.jpg Bitter Creek Bridge on Highway 37A.jpg
    Working Through the Night to Repair the Bitter Bridge.jpg Bitter Creek Bridge Progress.jpg Starting to pull the first 140' bridge across Bitter Creek.jpg
    Reconnecting the Bitter Creek Bridge.jpg South of Argyle Creek - Highway 37A.jpg Argyle Creek at highway 37A between Meziadin Junction and Stewart.jpg
    Argyle Creek - Highway 37A.jpg Cleaning Debris at Ningunsaw Pass.jpg Crews working to restore access at Argyle Creek on Hwy 37A.jpg
    click thumbnails to enlarge

NOTE: Hwy 37A is the only road from Hwy 37 to Stewart, BC (& Hyder, AK).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  4. ... and here's a video of the (temporary) Bitter Creek Bridge:

5. How much time is left?

6. Day 7 Progress Report

Dave arrived in Prince George, British Columbia, Canada @ ~8:30pm PDT:

Day 7 - Prince George, BC (2000 PDT).JPG

... now he heads north & west on Highways 16 & 37 ... and then west on Highway 37A to reach his final destination of Hyder, Alaska.

Go, Dave. Go!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  7. @wingnutz -

If I understand your question correctly ...

Dave started this journey last Saturday at 12:00am EDT (in Kittery, Maine) ... so the "7 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes" mark will be reached 5 minutes from now (at 9:00pm PDT).

Since it's approximately 437 miles from Prince George to Hyder, it's not possible for Dave to beat legendary Ironbutt motorcycle rider Ron Ayers' record of 7 Days, 0 Hours, 20 Minutes (set on a BMW r1100) ... but Dave is still on-track to break his own record (of 8 Days, 16 Hours, 48 Minutes) by at least 1 Day ... even if he has to wait for a pilot car to navigate Hwy 37A.

Go, Dave. Go!

8. Iron Butt didn't do it in a Roadster!

He's not so Iron Butted as he is on speed and coffee on a luxury motorcycle...! Hahaha...!

Luxury I tell you... pure luxury!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jLF3S5fkH6w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  9. Day 7

Morning Blog & pic can be viewed HERE.

Afternoon Blog & pic can be viewed HERE.

Night Blog & pics can be viewed HERE.

0 States (i.e., hasn't reached the 49th State ... yet).

Dave is currently in Vanderhoof, BC (just 375 miles from Hyder, AK) ... so even with all the anticipated traffic delays, Dave will make it to the 49th State "within" 7 days!

NOTE: You can track the "final stretch" of Dave's journey via the "49in7.com - Live Tracking!" webpage ... just click the SPOT logo below:

spot.gif

10. What a effort ! I can't wait to hear some stats and tidbits from Dave when this is over. Go Dave !!

11. Are we there yet????

According to my map he's only 2 inches away... what's taking him?

Go Dave Go!!!!

12. Not yet, but he's on the move again. He's getting stopped by road damage and pilot cars.

13. It appears that Dave is stuck in a queue at "Cullen Creek" on Hwy 37 (18+ miles from the Meziadin Junction) ... Per his SPOT tracker, he arrived there @ 8:31am PDT:

Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Meziadin Junction (Hwy 37 & Hwy 37A).jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Meziadin Junction (Hwy 37 & Hwy 37A) - Hybrid Map.jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Meziadin Junction (Hwy 37 & Hwy 37A) - Terrain Map.JPG
    Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Stuck waiting for a Hwy 37A Pilot near Meziadin Junction.jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Stuck waiting for a Hwy 37A Pilot near Meziadin Junction - Hybrid Map.jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0831) - Stuck waiting for a Hwy 37A Pilot near Meziadin Junction - Terrain Map.jpg
    Accordingly to the British Columbia Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure website (DriveBC.ca), Dave has to wait until 12:00 noon for a pilot car:

Highway 37A: Closed from Stewart to Meziadin due to flooding. Scheduled piloted openings on Sept. 17 at: Eastbound leaves Stewart at 6:00am, 11:00am and 6:00pm Westbound leaves Cullen Cr (30 km W of Meziadin) at 7:00am, 12:00 noon and 7:00pm Shuttled piloted openings overnight starting Sept. 17 at 8:00pm for eastbound and ending Sept. 18 at 7:00am for westbound. Expect delays up to 1 hour. Openings subject to change at short notice. Next update 5:00pm Sept. 17. Updated on Sat Sep 17 at 8:58 am.

Patience, Dave. Patience!

14. Strike that! ... Dave's on Hwy 37A:

Day 7 (Saturday 0944) - On Hwy 37A.jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0944) - On Hwy 37A - Hybrid Map.jpg
    Day 7 (Saturday 0944) - On Hwy 37A - Terrain Map.jpg
    Go, Dave. Go!

15. Looks like he's stopped again, unless the sat isn't getting him. Must be frustrating as hell .. sooooo close.

16. @nomobux -

Yep ... stopped again :(

While stuck at that spot, he has "Checked-in" via his SPOT CONNECT Satellite Communicator @:
    • 9:13am PDT
    • 9:34am PDT
    • 9:44am PDT
    • 9:54am PDT
    • 10:32am PDT
    • 10:41am PDT

... and yes, I can't imagine how frustrated Dave must be right now ... stuck just 25 miles from Hyder!

Patience, Dave. Patience!

[​IMG]

17. 49 States in 7 Days, 14 Hours, 20 Minutes, 49 Seconds !!!

49StatesIn7Days,14Hrs,20Mins,49Secs-Map.jpg
    49StatesIn7Days,14Hrs,20Mins,49Secs-HybridMap.jpg

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  18. choptvan

choptvan

Awesome! Wish I had known about this sooner. I would gotten a sponsor spot. Congrats!

19. Just posted on Dave's Blog (by his wife):

49 States in 7 Days - He Did It!
    49 States in 7 Days – Actual time 7 Days, 14 Hours, 21 Minutes.jpg
    49 States in 7 Days
    Actual time 7 Days, 14 Hours, 21 Minutes
    It's been a heck of a ride driving through all 49 States, but at 11:21 a.m. today, September 17, 2011, Dave completed this marathon by driving into Hyder, Alaska with a final finish time of 7 Days, 14 Hours, 21 minutes! He would have completed the drive around 9:30 a.m., but a road closure about 30 miles outside of Hyder had him cooling his heels for an extra couple hours.

Getting to Hyder was a huge challenge due to all the road closures and some inclement weather. I lost touch with him around 3 a.m. just after he told me he was going to pull over and something about lights. When I talked to him a little while ago, he said it had been raining and drizzling last night. He put Rain-x on the windshield earlier and the oncoming car lights as well as the ones behind him causing halos. He strained his eyes for about 200 miles and couldn't see any longer, so it was a smart move to pull over.

Unfortunately, that stop caused him to miss the scheduled Pilot car time today. He tried talking to the road foreman and explaining about the charity drive, but the foreman either didn&rsquo;t understand the time constrains or just had other things on his mind. Dave said the guy said, "The next pilot car is at noon. I've got things to do. When I get back, if I have time I'll take you through." He left, came back two hours later, and the rest is history. Dave said their were a few parts of the roads washed out, but it wasn't too bad.

He had planned on leaving Hyder today and heading back to a bigger city, but with just three scheduled piloted times out he's decided to stay there tonight and get some much needed sleep.

Tomorrow he's back on the road again beginning the 1,872 miles trip home ... but with many more rest stops and at a much slower pace.

Thanks for following along. I'll continue to update the blog as Dave heads home and shares more information about the trip.

Mileage entering Alaska.jpg
    Mileage entering Alaska

A Friendly Greeting!.jpg
    A Friendly (?) Greeting!

Gas Stop.jpg
    Gas Stop

Awaiting the Pilot Car.jpg
    Awaiting the Pilot Car

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. @choptvan (& all HAMBers) -

It's too late for a sponsor spot ... but it's never too late to donate to Dave's effort to raise money for this worthwhile charity ... just click the Ronald McDonald House @ Stanford logo below:

RMH@Stanford.jpg

21. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I also wish I had earlier notice of this. Perhaps next time. Good Job Dave! now for some much needed R&R I am sure.

22. It was a blast riding along on a louver. I felt his frustrations along the way, as did the wife. Well done Dave !! Safe trip home at a more casual rate. Enjoy what you've done ......................... TWICE !!!

23. Here's a few facts about the 49in7 trip that Dave's wife posted on his Blog:

Total Miles 8,680.8

Moving Speed Avg. 65.8

Overall Avg. Speed 63.7

Gas Used 542 gal

Hours Slept Not many!

Best Day The start

Worst Day Wasn’t one

Favorite Food Jerky

Favorite drink Water

Dave also sent her this pic of him posed against a backdrop of the stunning Hyder, Alaska scenery:

[​IMG]

Sleep, Dave. Sleep!

24. After reaching his goal of "49 States In 7 Days" yesterday, Dave got a much deserved night of rest ... and today he started his trek back home to the Bay Area.

For those so inclined, you can track Dave's journey back home via the "49in7.com - Live Tracking!" webpage ... just click the SPOT logo:

spot.gif

Also remember that it's never too late to donate to Dave's effort to raise money for this worthwhile charity ... just click the Ronald McDonald House @ Stanford logo:

RMH@Stanford.jpg

25. Dave,
    Congratulations from us over here in the UK. Superb Titanic effort. Steady drive back. I'll mail you later on in the month. All the best from Alan & Carol. Well done again:);)

26. Making decent time down. Must have caught the pilot cars well.

27. Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  28. Bone Head

Bone Head
    from Kansas

Awesome,awesome,awesome. What a great thing to do for a great cause.

29. pg409

pg409

We met Dave in Prince George, BC today on his way back south.
    Great guy, great attitude................:)

[​IMG]

30. Last edited: Mar 7, 2015