Register now to get rid of these ads!

welding guru's...can stainless be welded to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CaseyK, May 17, 2005.

1. CaseyK

CaseyK

regular steel? It shouldn't be a problem should it?

2. McGrath

McGrath

Yes. Anytime we do something like that in my industry, we use whatever the better filler is. Stainless to Carbon, we use Stainless filler. If we have to weld 308 to 316 we use 316 filler. 316 to SMO, we use SMO filler, etc...

3. rlackey

rlackey

Hmm, that's an interesting one. Never thought about that before. I don't see any reason why it can't be done, but I would imagine that your biggest problem will be the difference in expansion rates which might lead to problems if tack welding plate or sheet metal, and there is a possibility the weld will crack when it cools. You might also have a problem with galvanic corrosion at the join or seam but I've never done it so I'm not entirely sure. Probably think about TIG welding it using 312SS which is well known for it's use in joining dissimilar metals.

What is the specific application you are considering this for?

Rich

4. Aeroman

Aeroman

Yes.

Steel = Iron & Carbon

S.S. = Iron + Carbon + Nickel + Chromium (18-8)

Like materials bond to each other...

5. rlackey

rlackey

Did a google search, I found quite a bit about this particularly in marine applications, and lots of reasons to avoid it (like I said... expansion rates / galvanic corrosion), but it definitely can be done.

McGrath is right on about filler material, I'd still recommend 312SS if you have to do it.

Rich

6. CaseyK

CaseyK

Thanks for the responces. I want to weld in some stainless round stock that I've tapped holes into to accept my master cylinder/pedal assembly. The frame is regular steel and the round stock is stainless. My plan was to drill some holes in the inner frame rail and weld in some of these stainless threaded deals and then bolt my paedal assembly right to the frame. Sound reasonable, I only have a wire feed welder?

7. CaseyK

CaseyK

I guess I'm being lazy, I have plenty of round stock in SS, but I should just probably go buy a piece of non SS and do it right and not have to worry.

8. I've done it with steel filler,no problems.

9. I've welded stainless to stainless with plain 'ol 70,000 wire and welded stainless to mild steel with the same wire......just as an axperiment to see if it would weld ok. It welds great! No spatter or sputter with my Miller 130....I used "Stargon" gas....it's a 75%-25% Argon, c/o2 mix.....very clean weld but it will rust as the weld filler is just steel....

10. Like everyone said, it's no problem, welds fine. Whether you use stainless or carbon steel filler. Remember that stainless steel is just carbon steel with extra chromium (about 12 % minimum Cr) added to give it the corrosion resistance.

Not all stainless is the non-magnetic type (such as the 3xx series, with 18% Cr and 8% Ni). It's the Nickel that makes it to be non-magnetic. The 4xx series stainless are magnetic and behave very similar to carbon steel. The 4xx have typically 10-15% Cr and little to no other alloy elements. Almost all factory stainless exhaust is 410 or 430 stainless. most aftermarket or real high end factory can use 3xx, such as 301.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. katana646

katana646
    from Virginia

I believe 308 is stainless to stainless, and 309 is stainless to carbon steel.

13. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Like katana said,
    308=ss to ss
    309=ss to mild
    316=ss to ss(better quality stainless)
    E70s=steel to steel
    FED

14. If you're tig welding the part and it's not a structural piece (i.e. suspension/chassis) you can use silicon bronze filler, it will leave I very nice, vintage looking weld.

15. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

If you weld stainless to steel, the stainless will rust.
    Stainless should always be kept away from anything that contains Iron.
    It's the kiss of death.

16. MIG weld it with regular steel filler.

No problem...

JOE:cool:

17. rlackey

rlackey

Are you talking about carbon migration at the weld? Yes, it might happen right at the join, but it won't affect the chemical composition of the stainless even an inch away from the weld.

Rich

18. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

You reckon?
    then why am I polishing rust out of stainless when it has been contaminated, and why does any manufacturer working with stainless insist that at no time must it come into contact with ANYTHING that contains iron.
    When stainless is made the iron is reduced or completely removed.
    It craves it back.
    As soon as iron touches stainless the surface is contaminated and it can go all manner of colours.
    The actual amount of iron and carbon in stainless varies as much as it's components which is mainly nickel and sometimes chrome, but can include cobalt.
    Stainless steel is in no way related to carbon steels.
    Carbon steels still contain high quantities of iron.
    Carbon migration in stainless is normally caused by overheating.
    Nothing to do with what I refer too.

19. How do guys weld stainless trim on to a steel car? Like when you french headlights on a 49-52 Chevy?

That is stainless trim, innit?

20. rlackey

rlackey

Well, I guess the saying is true that you learn something new every day! I didn't know that.

Rich

21. polisher

polisher
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not saying it can't be done.
    I'm saying it's bad news if you want it to last.
    All steel will last longer than a steel and stainless combo.
    Now there might be a perfectly good reason for doing it that way, such as convenience, adapting pieces or whatever.
    But it's not good practice.