Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad Day: Lost my Grill

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bucket of T, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

Well today, as I was heading to school I noticed a very spark from the front of my car. It sounded and looked like a big spark. I pull over to check it out, and I didn't have a flash light so I looked and didn't noticed any wires burnt or anything. Continue on to school. Everything was fine, untill when I was about to leave, my friend said "Hey what happened to your grill" I said "what are you talking about". Look and its gone... :mad:

So I guess my grill fell off and scraped the ground making a big spark. I went to look for it 7 hours later(end of school) and it was no where to be seen. :(

Someone snatched it off the road. Now I have to either find one for sale or build a new one from scratch. Does anyone know where I can buy a metal vertical bar grill for a 27 T?

Any one else have a story on something they lost, or why your day was bad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That was my grill!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Maybe now you can do something custom and way different. I've seen some done with stainless and dimple died holes, and some with expanded metal and chrome knobs....
    Still sux you lost it! At least it didn't hurt your car on it's way off the car.

3. Master of None

Master of None

That looks like a chopped 32 ford shell. Speedway motors sells them $289.

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Looks like you've got a chopped 32 ford grille shell there, you'll need to measure it to find out how much it'sbeen altered and find a grille based on that. bummer...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yer also missing a bolt that attaches your spindle to the brake hub. Or is it?

6. jipp

jipp

may i ask what year your front axle is?
    i see what they mean by the wish bones being mounted further in than on later years. which may mean i cant use my front axle assembly grr.. sorry for the grill man.. time to customize :D
    chris.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

That sucks was it an original or repo .My guess it was original modified

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

'32 to '36 axle. I think the unused hole on the spindle is because the disk brakes don't use it. When you do replace the grill insert you might want to bolt it in place.

9. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

^^ What he said. I'm not exactly sure on the front axle. Yeah, hole isn't for anything.

How hard is it to make a grill like the one I had? I really liked it a lot.

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

What was it? The picture shows a dark area. Maybe a cut down '32 insert painted black?

11. F&J

F&J

Looks like a sectioned stock 32 insert. Very difficult to make and have it look right, mainly because you need a perimeter to weld all the bars to. It would be hard to get the bars spaced.

Save up for a Dales insert. Hamb says it is the best fit in a stock 32 shell. But sectioning takes skill because those bars are very thin gauge...warp and distort real easy.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Place a Lost and Found section ad in your local paper. Staple LOST photos of the grille on every phone pole you passed! You need to find that grille.

13. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

I'm thinking I should put a sign on the road. Its a neighborhood so maybe they go that path daily. Id pay to get it back.

14. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

If you have Grundy or Hagerty insurance they will pay for a new one in full.

16. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

A friend lost a '54 Ford headlight ring along the freeway, just so happened our Silhouettes Car Club did that 2 mile highway trash pickup along highway 101 in Santa Maria, Ca. Well long story short I found that ring and friends from the Headhunters Car Club told me who it was, the guy thought it was gone forever...good save and oh ya I found a $100.00 bill along that same 2 mile strip....oh ya!

17. I was following this car during a 60 mile cruise when the stainless exhaust tip broke off.
    [​IMG]
    I swerved to miss it, but didn't see if he ran over something. Later on we noticed the missing tip and put two and two together. Glad I was paying attention or it would have come through the windshield without a doubt!

18. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

nope, that would be for a drum brake backing plate, he has discs.

19. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Sorry to hear that......at least it didnt damage anything else

20. beyondhelp

beyondhelp

Lost the exhaust canister off the cafe bike I was building 20 years ago... Ran over and picked it right up so it wouldn't get hit.

Then, I realized how hot it was. I must have looked like an idiot playing hot potato with half of a CB 550 exhaust in the middle of traffic. Had to hide it in the bushes and come back with my car later.

By the way, nice looking car. I'd have a hard time making it to school if I drove a car like that. I'd be too tempted to drive right by.

21. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

Thanks, I'm gonna go measure to see how it would fit.

Thanks for this! I will try something like this if I can't find a good fitting one.
    Thanks!

22. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

Well I made some signs to post up where I lost it, hopefully the guy goes down that road daily and will see it before the cops take it down. Said on the sign WILL PAY, so just maybe Ill get lucky and someone calls me.

Called the local police department asking if they had a lost and found, maybe a cop picked it up or something. Put and ad on craigslist lost and foundsection just in case someone looks to see if its missing on there.

If all fails, I will design a new one and make it. Like the one I had or a mesh grill or something that looks good.

23. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Lost Your Grill! Man that sucks!

Attached Files:

24. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well..you could have left it in the garage under a nice car cover and this never would have happened.

But then you would be a wussy...

Hope you find it, but if not you can make another one. But the best part is now you can add this to all the cool storys you get when you drive your hot rod. "Dude...there was this one time...I ran over my own grille..."

Good luck, -Abone.

25. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

Very true! I would really like to be able to say this story.. "one time I ran over my grill,didn't know and went to look for it and it was GONE!, so I put up signs and someone called me and gave it back"

and if I left in the garage with the cover on, I wouldn't even need a grill, since no one would ever see the car. lol

26. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Yeah I have one. When I was about 17 (a very long time ago ) while driving home from my summer job in my 1940 Ford coupe, on a washboard gravel road, I caught a glimpse of my passenger-side headlight trim ring as it flew off . This was dirt road with hardly any traffic and so I never even looked out the back window as I backed up to about where I thought I'd lost the ring , and stopped. Got out and looked in the ditch...nothing. Looked farther in each direction in the ditch ..... still nothing. Could it have gone in the woods? Looked ....nothing. After about 30 minutes a buddy and his girlfriend came by. They stopped and help me make a methodical search of the ditch and the woods on both sides of the road....nothing. What the heck! After about an hour and lots of frustration they left. I made note of where I was on the road and decided to head home and to come back later with my brother. As I drove away I happened to glance in the rear view mirror and there it was, in the road , exactly where I had stopped the coupe when I backed up. It was in perfect condition . I had stopped the coupe directly over it. Never thought to look under the car.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  27. Bucket of T

Bucket of T

fordfanatic- thats a nice story, especially since you ended up finding it!

Today, we made a new grill out of some holed sheet metal we had. It's not exactly what we wanted but we had the metal and it wasn't to hard to make.
    It's not done yet, still needs to be painted. But you get the idea..

Question: Should it be black or raw metal just cleared? I'm leaning towards black, but not sure yet.

[​IMG]

What do you guys think?

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I think you might have a heating problem. Keep your eyes on the temp gauge the next few times you drive the car.