Register now to get rid of these ads!

Derek's 1950 ford coupe shoebox build and introduction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Batidor del mono, May 5, 2011.

1. Thanks mate, yeah I agree alot of them aren't fantastic looking. But they can look good and it's a shame people say u can't chop coupes leave them alone. Cause at the risk of sounding like a dick I think u can make them look good and I think me and my buddies have done than now cause I really like the look of mine. It's completely different it's got long qaurter windows like a chopped Tudor but te coupe look with the long boot lid area. I'm happy with it anyway and in glad u enjoyed reading all the pages of me talking crap. Cheers mate
    DES

2. But in sayig that I should say there is some cool examples of chopped coupes done right on here. It's all about the subtle chop and gettin the right flow without squishing them too much in my opinion. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Depends what u like and hay ur taste is. I love all shoeboxes, chopped, un-chopped, Tudor, coupe or even more door, 49-51 any of them. There are some amazing ones out there and some fuckin ugly terrible ones that have been butchered but if your happy with ur butchered peice of shit then no one can tell u it's ugly cause it's urs and u own it. That'd just my opinion. Although if someone tells me that's a shit idea I usually take that onboard and have a goodthink about whether or not that's cool.

3. ausbuick

ausbuick

hi derek,
    wow i can not believe that its been only 4 months, man do you ever get to sleep....
    i got my buick on the 2/5/11 and mine just ready to get blasted so i can start the the frame mods and rebuilding all the suspension. i prob should upload some pics of the build but in comparison its like a snails pace.......
    keep up the crazy work....
    cheers darren

4. I started my car in 1995.......still going. :(

5. Glass gettin done today. Rubber but down with new glass. This is gunna cost alot I think.

6. Glass was put in yesterday. Theydid a really good job and was pleased to
    come home from work yesterday and see it. Nothin like brand new glass.
    Intake manifold is on and all carbies with new jets and all linkages hooked up.
    Fan belts, alternator, fan, harmonic balancer, oil filter,
    oil in engine and gearbox.
    Had to put a couple ends on the drivers side exhaust header and then cut and weld on some flanges onto the exhaust system. All painted and headers on. Just bolt up the exhaust pipes tonight,
    radiator gettin some gloss black tonight,
    just need to mount fuel block and run hose and fittings. Run battery cable from boot ad crimp/solder on some lugs and put my new brushes in the starter and paint that and I should have it running by the weekend which would be fuckin great.
    My buddy Paul Librio from Eldorados came over last night and wearied and cut the front screen stainless to size and have it all set up not for him to tig weld back together then I can grind file sand and polish tem up. It looks so
    much Better with the stainless in it.
    I'll do pics after the weekend for now I will be flat out.
    130am last night and I'll probably do te sane tonight.
    It's the only way to get draggin at chopped

7. Keep at it buddy, that is some real progress.
    Do you think that you can drag your self away for the get together this weekend?

8. dozza

dozza

Tip of the hat to you guys. Car is looking the goods mate!

9. thanks for all the great comments fellas,

well, the fucker runs, and well.
    got it all hooked up the other night, put some oil, water, fuel all the jazz in it, had a couple issues of course in the way of the a rebuilt starter playing games, but to de honest me and mitch put the new brushes in the wrong spot, thinking that the positive and negetive brushes were both insulated in the base, so when i went to turn it over it made a funny noise then smoked a whole lot, after a bit of messin around and changed the brushes over to the right spot i realised that the springs that hold the brushes in had lost all there strength due to gettin hot so the next morning went in tp castlemine and found some exactly the same that were strong as, went home put them in and she turns real nice now, alsodizzy being 180 degrees out, easy fix, then had some kind of fuel blockage in the fuel line bewteen the electric pump and the fuel block, but a bit of air down there from the compressor hooked everything back up primed the carbies up and checked for leaks, then turned it over, ran and idled like a dream, moved the dizzy a bit and she is awesome, gott get a new thermostat housing cause its leaking but once i get that tomorrow i will be settin the timing with the vac advance hooked up and play around with the idle screws, the exhaust is gunna need a couple muffler which im ordering tomorrow and it should only require clutch and gearbox linkage adjustments and ill be dirt draggin with the best of them,
    ryan just informed me that its forcast for rain all weekend at chopped but i dont trust forecasts that are 2 weeks in the future,\

more welding cuttin and panel beatin on the roof areas, ahron has been just beatin the roof a little and its coming up real nice while i have been doin all the door frames and b pillar inner and outers, its really gettin there now, after sat i would say its goin to be pretty close to finished,

i bolted the dash up and had a sit in there and its nice with the new glass, really excited about it, there are a couple more things i hve issues with, the master cylinder has started to leak, hoefully i can blead the brakes up tomorrow and get away with topping it up for choped which im sure will be fine, and there was a small leak coming from up near the rear main seal, im hoping its just going to seat in or something, fingers crossed cause that would be devastating, not that it will worry me for chopped ill just drive the shit outta it,
    anyway, its gettin close now, looking forward to meetin some of u guys on a couple weeks.

des

Attached Files:

10. thats what happens when ur mates with ryan ford and u let him go to ur house while ur at work, he sign writes ur boot lid, wait till he attacks chickens olds soon.

11. Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  12. Just got home to find the master cylinder has lost all it's brake fluid all
    over the floor. It's coming off tonight and I'll
    let the experts fix it up for me and he'll hve it done in a week which means the brakes will be spot on for chopped. Cuttin it a little to close
    for
    comfort

13. Deu55

Deu55

Just watched the video sounds / looks bad as , all the best for chopped...Rod

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

14. Ha ha thanks rod. It's gettin mufflers in a couple night I'm just waiting for them to come in. Ten I'll chuck em on cause it's no good. I don't like it the way it sounds. But it'll be sweet. Really looking forward to chopped now.

15. Thanks to my buddy Sean Hammond I hot his old master cylinder which has been rebuilt and he also had a rebuild kit for one aswell so that got me outta trouble and it seems really good, just gotta bleed up the brakes tonight, got one of the exhausts done with new straight throughb glass pak mufflers, just gotta finish off the other aide tonigt and then I can tune this baby up properly and have a nice listen to it then sat I'm taking it for it first drive round the block for a while now.

16. rattlesnakehoey

rattlesnakehoey
    from Australia

(to be read in a dodgy mexican Lee van Cleef spaghetti western voice) ah Signor El Batidor Del Mono, truly your muchachos & you have with the divine help Saint Domingo created one loco machine. Myself & fellow hombres in El Vulturas will roll through the hazy distance of Newstead to share with you ice cold cervesa & veiw this automotive portrait, yes?

17. Ransom Note

Ransom Note
    from Bell, CA

Great Built, keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

18. Ha ha ha ha ha ha fuckin hell. I just did the worst read out loud in a Mexican voice. That was fucking gold. Ur fellow vulture mr shannon Cato has been a huge help with a couple wierd little problems, give him a buzz talk shit gotten and I have my answer.

Can't wait till next Friday to cruise this warlock out to the stead.

19. Thanks mate.
    Cheers

20. clarthepio

clarthepio

Holy Shit ballz!!

Well I've spent pretty much my whole day reading your thread!! Lucky for me I've been sitting on my ass at work and getting paid for it! Awesome thread chief!

I've only just picked up a 50' Spinner 4 days ago and have been searching HAMB for a threads such as this. Are you or any of your mates panel beaters? Cos I'm wanting to chop my bus but I aint no panel beater and i'm hoping i'll be able to do it!

I watched you vids and she sounds mint!

What colour is she going to be? (I may have missed it if you have already said what colour previously!)

Brendan

21. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

Kick ass looking car....keep up the good work

23. thanks man
    des

24. first drive sat morning, its been a busy couple days and have heaps done, the car is looking unreal, heres a couple pics and a video, couldnt quite get second gear but once i adjusted the gearbox linkages and stuffed around with timing and carbs shes running pretty sweet now and the mufflers quitened it down alot.
    will put up more pics over the next couple days, for all u guys goin to chopped, cant fucking wait for sat,
    me and ahron are running the gate friday arvo we'll be in eldorados club t's or purple i think colour chopped crew t's.
    make sure u give us a big ass high five or a how ya fuckin going fellas, cant wait.
    des

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXvqztWkmVc

25. i should mention, mufflers in, exhaust all finished and hung, brakes bled u with new master cylinder, all wiring tidied up and all lights working, braces out, seats in, bonnet on, gaurds all tightened, rear lowered another inch and a half, engine all sorted and running a fuckin treat, gearbox works, nothing leaks, alot of tiny little welding jobs and grinding, starting to clean up steel, battery moutned in boot, new linkages on carbies and new polished aluminium thermostat housings. and a bunch of other shit, ahron is making the roof that fuckin smooth and nice it aint funny, can panel beat the kid. bottom line i had a list to get done and that list has fuck all left on it and i have all week off so im gunna be doing extra and helping mitch get the olds done which is also nearly ready and his exhaust sounds unreal. and the car sit really really really low for a car with out bags. look out for that at chopped aswell, big black and rust olds 98 coupe that sounds awesome. rolling round low. and behind me on the drag strip.

26. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Car looks good in motion.

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice ride - great work !

28. clarthepio

clarthepio

You have to take heaps of photo's while you are at chopped for us folk who aren't lucky enough to go!

29. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

She purrssss...... Sounds Sweet Derek!!

Any more progress?

HC.

30. so i was real busy all last week and seriously didnt get time to upload pics amd progress but heres one shot my buddy sean hammond took at chopoped, i will upload more, for all of u guys that came up and said well done or good to see you made and hung around for a chat thanks, cause there was fucking heaps of u guys there.

Attached Files: