Register now to get rid of these ads!

BBC 396 slug or not????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wannadrag, Sep 11, 2011.

1. I've run them in stock cars and on the street. I have one that needs freshening up, it was around 425 HP and pulled strong to 7K RPMs. It also depends on vehicle weight and the gearing, among other things.

Bob

2. Igosplut

Igosplut

I've had three 1970 375HP Novas (still have one), and the last thing they are are dogs. Probably where you've been hearing this is due to the fact that the head intake CC is 325 (both stock 290s and those service replacements) and is considered way too large for lower RPM operation/response in today's world (most recommend 310CC right up to 496CI). Like people have said in this thread, Oval port heads develop more velocity at lower RPMs (read most street driving). And as also been said, those open chamber heads drop you approximately a point in compression, which depending on weight and gear ratio can be a good thing. You can tell the difference between a 396 and a 427/454 in power, but it's far from being a dog especially with the stock 375 cam (which is also the 427-425 and the LS6 stock cam). That being said, with those cams their not something that is fun in long stop-and-go traffic (but to be fair, not something they were designed for either). Personally, I love those motor combination's but I'm a much harder driver than most, so low RPM use isn't a big deal....

3. mopar guy walks up to a ford guy and a chevy guy mopar says i own a mopar, ford guy says whats a mopar? chevy guy says i dunno but they sure have pretty tailights:D
    come guys lighten up and take a joke

ive seen many 396's get thier ass handed to them by the "little" mopar 383 big block
    very rarely have i seen it the other way unless the 396 was built -up and the 383 was dead nuts stock

the only reason i posted this is look at the awesome 64 belvedere the original poster has in his avatar

4. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

You were the one i had hoped would would give a decent answer.Will this thing run with those particular heads and how well?????????

5. Igosplut

Igosplut

It will run slightly better than the closed chamber-head motor due to the better design of the open chamber head. Plus , as stated, less chance of ping (giving all the factors) due to the drop in compression ratio. Great street motor in my opinion....

6. The key will be if it has correct pistons for the open chamber heads. You could do a conpression test to see what cranking psi you Get...it Wont tell you the CR, but it will give an indication. That cam is probably too mild to really to wake up a 396 w big heads, just judging by the low lift number....you could try to CC the chamber at tdc with plug Pointing up and using small wire to try and flush out any small bubbles in the corners...again, you Wont get it perfect, but will give an indication....if it comes cack at 8.2 CR...the error will be in the worse direction so it will be that or less depending on how much air you didnt Get out of the chamber. Annular boosters in ter carb will help a tad with the low velocity at low rpm

7. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Need more info on the compression to know if the engine will be as slug or not, that cam seems big on duration (cant really tell without .050 numbers) and may need higher compression to make off for the cylinder pressure bleedoff. I would pull the heads and see what pistons are in it and cam it accordingly. Dont need a huge cam if you have good heads, ported large ovals will do better for low end but I am sure there is enough torque to overcome the square ports.

8. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Bahahaaha...good catch man!!!

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Hdonlybob [​IMG]
    Any way to get it to a dino ????
    Might be worth the $$$ if you are concerned.
    Cheers.....

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

what do the Flintstones have to do with this?:D

9. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't call a 396 a slug - but it's all relevent to the package. In a light car like a roadster, you can make as much power with a 406 SBC with less weight. In a light car engine weight plays into how well the car handles. So in my mind it depends on exactly what you put it in. Better suited to a '55 Chevy, Nova, or pickup.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Bullshit! I've owned a few 396 Chevy's from 325-375HP and none of them were slugs. How the heck can 325 HP be a "slug"? My '67 Chevelle had the small 325 HP version, and turned mid 13's in the 1/4 with a 4 spd. and 3.73 gears. That's not bad for a stock engine with just headers.
    As for 383's, well I never got beat by a stock one in my Camaro with the 360 HP version of the 396.

As for the above engine. I'd either change the heads to small chamber oval port, or have them milled to drop the chamber size and raise compression.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  11. cavman

cavman

I've had a few of the 375 HP 396's and loved 'em all. I don't think there is TOO much wrong with you're combination, I think it would be a better street engine with a set of large oval port heads (higher velocity) as stated earlier. I have one in my 35 Chevy with just a little bit different cam. Hyd, 544 lift, and basicly the same heads (in alum) and it was dynoed years ago with 432 HP.

The only people who think they are slugs never owned a good one. My opinion.

cav

12. 2-TONED

2-TONED

it sounds good to me. put it in and post a video of it sideways all the way down the street, or puttin the hurt on a big ol gas suckin mopar. :eek:

solids with that cam and tall GM intake will 'sound awesome and 'look real good anyway!!

13. Nik

Nik

Do what I did, drop a mini blower on there and you don't have to worry about any low end power problems, plus you gets to add a fer more hp..... Just a thought.

14. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Yes, and I'd imagine that you've owned and driven lots of them to find that out, right?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That all depends on if the 383 is an automatic or 4 speed:D:D I could always beat 383 four speeds but the automatics would usually get me.
    325 hp 396 maybe the mopars could beat.

Lots of variables on the engine in question. The right total combination will scream but the wrong combination will just be another big engine that runs ok or a bit better than ok.

16. Deuces

Deuces

I like the 402c.i. version L-78.. ;)

17. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

a 375 hp 396 with enough gear is a freakin rocket

18. Deuces

Deuces

3.73's er better! :D

19. solid cam 294-300 Dur.,517-532 lift

You are worried about low rpm response with the heads and intake? amybe you should consider the duration of the cam shaft first? There are only 360 degrees in a circle and your cam is taking up 300 of them on the exhaust according to the specs you published.

Not taking into account the heads or the intake your camshaft isn't going to work very well below about 3K. And with the setup you have published you better pray for high compression or buy a huffer.

20. tomcat11

tomcat11

You got it brother! My 3300# all steel 68 camaro with 2 bolt main 396, true 12.5 to 1 compression ,.600+ lift mech cam, closed chbr. rect port iron heads, 990 cfm carb, TH400, and 4.56 on a 10" tire will pull hard through the lights at 125+ mph. Build it right and it will produce plenty of torque and HP>

21. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

Anyone that thinks a 396 is a slug is an Idiot

22. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

Always one of those moped I mean mopar guys talkin' trash.

23. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

A big block chevrolet of any variety is never considered a slug . And then again are you building a street car or a drag car? or do just like computer chair racing? lol - Mayor

24. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I am not attempting to compare apples an oranges, but my Brother had a '69 Judge that he would swap with me for a week or so (when he took my Buick Electra on a hot date).
    He had juiced it up a bit, but told me "If a 396 Camaro pulls up beside you, look the other way...he will wipe your butt"
    I don't have the experience many of you do, but have seen enough 396's to know they ain't no Slug....
    Cheers...........

25. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

My concern would be the camshaft. That much duration on the street will hurt it IMO.

26. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

its junk send it to me

27. lots of gear out back and a loose converter - it will be fine

As to whether a big block Mopar is better or not, the older the chevy guys get, the faster their 396s were.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  28. bbd1

bbd1
    FNG

Hey 57ford/60thunderbird, Finish the chevy joke. Well I will for you the chevy guy did say that the mopars do have pretty taillights. But they were looking at it as it was being put on the trailor . I will tell you one thing there wasn't many 383's up here that would beat the 396's I've seen here. My brother had one of each 67 GTX Belvy 383 and a 69 chevelle L-78 396. No comparison that 396 was eating 383 as fast as you could line them up. He'd give a lot of the 440 all they wanted. I had an 69 L-78 also. 396 being slugs I don't think so. No brag just fact

29. TERPU

TERPU

Better trade me for my 454, 'cause those 396's just don't have it. Come on man, that 396 has more than enough go to get you into trouble without trying. Run it behind a 4 speed and let it wind up where it wants to be.

Tim

30. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Ok,i did a little more investigating.Was able to shine a pen light in the plug hole and read the number on the piston.L2328-Speed Pro .319 dome,10.8 to 1 with a 106.9 cc head.Guessing around 9.5 to 10.0 to 1 with the 118 cc head.At least a pump gas engine.
    Also checked the cam specs 114 lobe center and 244-246 duration @.050
    Going in a 3400lb car,4 spd,373 gears