Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converter Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick O, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

Before you guys give me heck for not researching the archives I have read many articles on here concerning converter selection and am still confused so please excuse me for starting another thread on converters. I have a 30 Model A Pick up that I assume will weigh in at about 2000 lbs with a 350 SBC and a 350TH transmission and need to purchase a converter and just want to purchase the proper converter. I don't want to be riding the brakes with both feet to keep from creeping through a stoplight, I want the truck to be very driveable. Here is what I have and perhaps some of you can give me an educated suggestion to get me in the ballpark. I have found the forum to be very helpful on other questions I have had in the past. Engine is SBC 350 with 3 dueces, 202 heads, and a cam shaft with 230 duration at .050, 490 lift and 100 degree centerline, balanced,compression will be stock, 9" Ford Posi with 390 gears and a 29" tire. I have called several converter manufactures and gotten several different answers ranging from 2200 to 3000 stahl. I am somewhat suspect that I could give the pertainent information to several "name" converter people and come up with such a variance of opinion. Perhaps some of you guys could give me some ides on what you are running and wether or not you are happy. Thanks

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Automac's are for ------,O never mind me,I'm just old,Over many years this Q seems more and more about your idel RPM= can it idel down like a dead stock motor can,if so the stock Convertor will work. If not,what RPM can it reliebly idel? and thats got to be at lest a few 100rpm below were convertor starts to go some[not lockup,thats def]
    A lite car is more in need of holding the brake on anyway.
    The old ways was to get a convertor off a four cly car that will fit your tranny,cus they have higher stull speeds and could be found at junkyard.
    Now I'll let those that know all about sending lots $ ,say something too:cool:

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I would just find a stock Vega converter and call it done.

4. xxzzy999

xxzzy999

Nick,

If you're going to drive this mainly on the street vs. the strip, you probably want to go with something closer to the lower end of what the converter manufactures are recommending. My guess is that stock stahl would be around 1600 to 1800, so a little above this would be fine for your mild cam upgrade.

You mainly want to match the converter to the rpm range of the cam, and your cam is not that agressive. BTW, 2000 lbs sounds light to me, if it is 2000 lbs, your sbc should get it moving pretty good :)

With a 3000+ converter. if you are spinning < 3000 rpms on the highway (for example), the converter will still be slipping, running a little hotter and less effecient with the 300TH.

I'm no expert... just my 2 cents based on past experience.

Regards,
    X

5. jim powers

jim powers
    from new jersey

ati racing in baltimore md sells a converter set up for a street rod,high quality stuff

6. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

2000 sounds about right to me.

7. i agree with shoprat about 2000 stall and a vega -monza 4 cyl. torque will give you that