Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 54 Bel Air Sport Coupe Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjgreen_1977, Aug 31, 2011.

1. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Here is where it all starts! I picked the car up from St. Louis last year one month after my second daughter was born. The car has been in storage since I got it (Thanks Hoja!) and we (me and my Dad) just pulled it out 2 weeks ago and took it over to my place, got it stripped and tucked the trim and interior into the attic to make some room.

Attached Files:

2. Dead End Sleds

Dead End Sleds

Looks nice. That thing is high. What are your plans? Have fun with that thing and keep us updated. Welcome to the HAMB. Use search function a lot, grow thick skin for smart alec remarks, and enjoy the ride. I am jealous of the hard top. I bought a post, b/c I thought I wanted to chop it. Now I've seen too many that are chopped, so I'm leaving it. Now I wish I had HT instead.

3. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Getting the drip rail chrome off and starting to grind the roof. The drip rails need a little work, it would be sweet to replace them, but I think my only options would be to pull them off of a donor or fabricate them (or shave 'em...). I have to take a closer look but I think that '54's drip rail is a separate piece that can be pulled pretty easily, whereas '55 the drip rail was the connection between the inner and outer roof skins.

I am going to pull the rest of the dash apart and finish cutting and welding the floorpans and trunk. My plan is to replace the entire lower half of the back of the car. lower front and rear quarters on both sides and tailpan. the trunk has some swiss cheese happening but with a little 18g sheet and the OEM spare wheel well it will be fine.

I am not even going to lay out any further plans until that work is done. ultimately I am going to pull the body off, hopefully that will involve a rotisserie, but so far I don't have one. I did see a Torin on harbor freight for around $900 that had good reviews though, we'll see.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200381463_200381463

Attached Files:

4. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

5. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Thanks for the info Chuck, I will definitely do some extra research. I am hoping that by the time I'm ready to pull the body, I've found a used one.

6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Great Start, Love the hard top, welcome to the HAMB, you can find anything about a 53/54 chevy on here, so use it like a chiltons manual.

x2 on the growing tuff skin around here. But there are alot of good people, that truly want to help.

Let me know if, I can help
    MrC

7. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Here you go.... a little inspiration...

Attached Files:

8. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Nice. You don't see many sport coupes around. I have a 1953 210 sport coupe.

9. Heo2

Heo2

you almost newer se that car in a pic taken from the
    side and it got a real ugly angle on the rear glass

10. cederholm

cederholm

Nice car but how do you work in that mess?? :D

11. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Thanks for the welcome MrC!

12. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Moonglow is definitely inspiration MR. Ford. I want to do something more Foose-like with it. Not necessarily dealers choice though I do like the fender line pulled into the door and the smoothed hood (no chrome trim down the middle). This build is going to end with a car that looks classic, but with a more aggressive stance.

13. tjgreen_1977

tjgreen_1977

Cederholm, believe it or not, I was able to get all of that into the attic.

Those pictures were from the day after I flatbedded the car out of storage and all the trim, bumpers.....everything was shoved into the trunk and the interior. The pile that you see in those pics actually extended much further.

14. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

Welcome to the club! I love my 53 Sport Coupe,My 16 year old daughter insists I should give it to her.