Register now to get rid of these ads!

550-18 EXCELSIOR COMP V tires, Anybody have them? feedback-need some pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 20, 2011.

1. Id like to hear what you think about them, and see some pics of the 550-18s mounted up.
    Thanks

2. OLLIN

OLLIN

I just bought some 550x16's. they look pretty cool. Ill be watching this thread as well.

3. Ollin guessing you haven't ran them yet?

4. Night crew have any input?

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

They look great in the photos, I may have seen some on the Vintage race cars last Fall at Lime Rock.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe a trip on a "Deadliest Catch" crab boat would net you enough to buy four and maybe a spair. :D

7. OLLIN

OLLIN

no, I got them mounted on the rims, and Im trying to make my model A a roller.

8. TV

TV

We have used 700 x18 on the back of our Bonneville car for 5 years and we love them.--TV

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

So they go fast as well as look great, that is great news. Speed is?:rolleyes:

10. Speed rating on the compv is 149mph

11. eight in a row

eight in a row

I just received a set and are sending them back. Three of the four are out of round and two runout 1/4"-3/8". If that's not bad enough they require huge amounts of lead. As much as 5oz on the back and 2.5 on the outside. This is a huge dissappointment. These are supposed to be V rated! They have a V moulded into the sidewall but there's no way in the world that these will go 149 mph. These sumbitches are gonna kill someone. Bruce Wyman

12. eight in a row

eight in a row

Addendum to previous post. The tires I'm refering to are Excelsior V 600/650x18. The rim I used as a mandrel is 18x4 and is cast/machined and is dead nuts straight, exactly the right size for these tires. I mounted 3 of the 4 on this wheel and used a modern Hunter balancer and ran them up. These are really dreadful tires. I was told by Coker that they will soon be discontinued. Bruce Wyman

13. JEM

JEM

So the question is, if whoever's making them can't make a round tire, what alternatives are there for someone who needs a high-speed tire?

14. eight in a row

eight in a row

The sidewalls say made in USA. But I think you have to speak some sort of Chinese dialect to get an answer to your question. I'm looking @ Blockleys. Genuine 6 ply and actually rated H, DOT, made in England. And man are they proud of 'em. Retail for $376 a copy. But after all this f------ around trying to find good tires it wouldn't seem so bad if I had just bitten the bullet in the beginning and bought them. Bruce

15. My question is this: How come Corky Coker never comes on this forum and addresses this constant barage of complaints about his products. Is he to big to answer or address concerns from his Alliance clientele? This threads pop up every couple of months and the quality of these tires never seem to change. What gives? I wish Ryan would confront him and prompt him to come on and deal with these things. Am I the only one that feels this way. I would like to buy these tires in the future but now I'm sceptical.

16. Sad state, I have been saving up for rubber for the tudor. Curbspeed, I agree with you.

17. Jess H

Jess H

Hey guys,

The Excelsior Comp V has been a good tire for us. They are made in the USA, DOT approved, and carry a “V” speed rating of 149 MPH. We have sold quite a few for hot rods and rally cars. I’m not sure why they didn’t work for “Eight in a row”, but from my standpoint he is the exception not the rule. I haven’t had them on a car of mine, but Corky had them on his Buick Shafer 8.

We do stand behind every tire we sell (Life of the Tread Warranty) and if a customer has a problem we strive to make it right.

As for those asking why Corky never comes on here, I can’t speak for him, but answering and solving product questions and issues is my job and I’d like to feel useful. I check this forum multiple times a week, but if you have a question or issue feel free to PM or call me direct.

Thanks,

Jess Hoodenpyle
    Vice President - Sales and Customer Service
    Coker Tire Company
    1317 Chestnut Street
    Chattanooga, TN 37402
    Toll Free: 1-800-251-6336 Ext. 263

18. Why don't they make the "V" anymore?

I've had a set on my deuce and liked the look and handling. I believed I had a bad wheel as I had a wobble after 65. I'm now wondering if it's one of my tires, not the wheel. I took them off months ago and I've been running some 16's instead of my 17's up front and 18's in the rear. I'm going to investigate this week Or next, and will report back.