Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Looking for Bonneville HAMB guys help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CG, Aug 15, 2011.

1. brady1929

brady1929

i am sorry about your experience mtkawboy. i however had the opposite experience. saturday, sunday and monday i left my rental car at the end of the pavement to avoid any expensive cleaning charges. i hitched a ride to and from the salt pits or starting line. and EVERYONE i met was extremely nice. i have never met so many nice people in my life. what a great experience. makes you kind of believe in mankind again.

2. mtkawboy - sorry to hear. My worst Bville experience was buying an XL Old Crow shirt and getting home and finding out it is a 2XL. :D

3. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

Don't go to Bonneville thinking you won't get something taken from your pit. One year someone stole our brand new EZ-Up. We know racers don't steal from racers so we could only assume it was some shit bag spectator.

Now everything has our name all over it. If it's important to you or worth something, put it away.

4. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

What Beff Stew said. I've been there years and have seen signs made by race crews complaining of stuff stolen from them. It happens.....unfortunately.

5. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

We borrowed a torque wrench up there years ago, when we went to return it the guy was gone. We returned it to him the next year, he said I wasn't worried, I knew I'd see you again! Bonnevillians are great people!

6. Hmmmmm. "Bonnevillans", nice name for a crew. :D
    Thanks 4 port for the idea!

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Salt Cat Racing group is from Montana, and I'm pretty sure they were there running that big Buick Straight 8 in a Jaguar. Look for Salt Cat Racing on Facebook, or just google it.

8. Thanks Ill give them a google! I dont have facebook.

9. verde742

verde742

your dreamin''' every credit card I have ever met BENDS, to get rid of them you have to cut them,, GREAT story tho,, you outta be a writer.....

10. Bigjake

Bigjake

Was my first trip out there, went with a buddy and had a blast. Drove all the way out there. Anyhow we show up and didn't know our ass from a hole in the ground, complete and total salt newbs, we pull up and had a couple lawn chairs and nothing else. Spent a good 20 minutes trying to make a 30 dollar coleman tent in a desert shelter to watch the races in and finally gave up. Hear some laughing and about 6 or 7 older gentleman are sitting nearby under a shade canopy. One of em stands up and hollers get your asses over here. We spent the next 8 hours watching bad ass cars go by and bullshitting with a bunch of new friends. Spent 3 days on the salt, and each day we went out we were "adopted" by people in the same way, Bonneville and the people at it are the best.

11. Mike

Mike

Theivery is not really an issue with the racers at Bonneville. If you loan out a tool, you can be 99% certain it will come back, and it will usaully cleaner that when you lent it out.

But there are some opprotunist low-lifes that show up. I know of people who had cameras taken, 3 years ago someone nabbed my participant/crew tag from my Duece in the motel parking lot, and this year some dirt head pinched the Bean Bandits plaque from the back of one of our guys' hot rod (That's a gourd stomping offense).

12. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

All the Rodders and racers I've met there are top knotch... HOWEVER, When I USED to camp at the KOA in town, I came back to my sight and found my tent ransacked, and stuff missing. Can't say much about the Wendover Police either. 2 tickets in less than 12 hours. first one was a burnt out head light bulb ( he even watched me while I changed the bulb with a fresh one I had on board), then expired registration, (not tabs) they said August. He ran my plate and found the registration had expired August 9th. I'm sitting in my 2001 GMC Sonoma getting tickets while Trad rods with no bumpers, windshields, open headers, and a slew of other violations are rolling by. Don't want to ticket those guys, they bring in guys like me.

13. Back to the top one more time. No luck so far. Looks like Im just going to have to keep an extra 60 bones with me every time we hit the salt.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions so far. Looks like I may have to create a face book account to be able to deepen my search.

Mark

14. Was it this guy? He happens to be one of the Dodge Boys, is from Montana, is named Dan, was crewing for the Retarded Sparks XXO/BSTR from California, and happens to be the sort of fella who'd do such a thing. If so, let me know and I'll let you know how to get ahold of him so you can thank him.

www.fastfourspecial.com

Attached Files:

15. barqsnut

barqsnut
    from Pearl, MS

Hell, I'd grow into that sucker. No point in wasting a good shirt.:D

16. Nope, not him. Younger fella. Id guess late 30's early 40's maybe. My apologies if Dan is that age =)

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Did you check the far end of the salt? After Sunday nights wind I'd reckon there was an awful lot of them gone. We ran and left everything out and about. Hell we left the RV unlocked with the keys in it. But then my pit looked kind of impoverished and people were leaving stuff for us.

18. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

I thought that too until one of mine cracked just last week.

19. Hahahaha!!

Sam

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

True story! I don't know how many times I have shared an 'EZ-Up' with complete strangers & 1/2 the time I was watching a run & someone would say "Get outta' the sun & get in the shade". The salt is one of those 'rare' places where everyone shares the same interest "speed" from when they read about it in the little magazines/HOTROD....My favorite quote is that "It's the gathering of the misfits....Tell someone that they can't do it & they will find a way"....Haha.

Back to your original post: just fold up a $50 & a $20 dollar bill and I bet you will see that person somewhere in the next few years & you will have a friend for life.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ.

21. 29 A-bone

29 A-bone
    from Norway

Hoping to go to Bonneville next year. This will be the first time for me..Allthough I've been reading 'bout the salt-racing for many years,(for me, that Is). Have visited the U.S. a few times since '81, and I've always had the Dream of going to the salt. But I have never been close to the area of the speed week. Reading Your stories, I can't wait to get there! This seems like a great place to be, with some good people !!:):)

22. Here are some of the motley crew for Ralph Wisher from Kalispell,MT

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  23. Leaving for Bonneville Friday afternoon, driving straight through. Got my fifty bucks set aside.

Hopefully I can run in to this guy ... So TTT in case anyone might have a clue to who he is.

Thanks, Mark

24. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Look me up down there, while I'm lookin up Tman. Maybe we'll all Crash heads at the same time:eek:. Then...our camp will help ya find the guy. We'll be hangin with some of the Oldtimers(Puyallup GG host club) and Jr Nelson. Would be good to meet ya.

Attached Files:

25. Damn, I have stalkers!?!

26. wandi harry

wandi harry

This cracked me up

27. Yes it was pretty funny =) The best part was he called me a kid, I'm barreling down hard on 53. I should give him 50 bucks for that lol.

28. If you can't find the guys, donate it to Save the Salt. Maybe they don't care if they are found?

29. Almost seems that way doesnt it. I mean with the power of the HAMB I was hoping this would be an easy find.

30. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

1962? I let Muldowney borrow my long handled 1/2" wrench in the pits at SGF dragway and never fuckin saw it again
    Jeesus, 50 years and I still haven't forgotten that......:confused:

I hope you find the guy but I'm sure that he's not worrying about it.