Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Butcher Boy's Charity Drive: 49 States In 7 Days, 14 Hours, 20 Mins, 49 Secs !!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, May 20, 2011.

1. Yep ... @Butcher Boy is at it again!

Here's the press release from our friends at The Rodder's Journal:

Dave Schaub's Next Drive for the Kids "49in7"

HAMB_1.jpg
    In 2009 Dave Schaub drove his '32 highboy roadster through each of the 49 continental United States in under nine days in order to raise money and awareness for the children and families of the Ronald McDonald House in Palo Alto, California. The "49in9" roadtrip got plenty of buzz including mention in TRJ issue #47. Through sponsorships and donations he raised an astonishing $116,776 with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Ronald McDonald House. This September he will be doing it all again, except this time he plans to "lop two days off the time and to top the donations brought in on the last drive!"

HAMB_2.jpg
    Dave Schaub currently lives in Los Gatos, California and owns Shaub’s Meat, Fish & Poultry in Palo Alto. He found an interest in hot rods at a very early age when his father, Fred, a Southern California dry lakes racer, took him to car races and taught him how to work on cars. In the early ’70s Dave bought his first hot rod, and as his collection grew he added a 1932 Ford highboy. Always a fan of the open road, Dave had been on several cross-country trips before he came up with the idea to combine his favorite pastime with raising money for a good cause.

HAMB_3.jpg
    The preparation and planning involved in accomplishing a feat of this magnitude is extensive. Dave has already begun his physical training necessary to spend 18 hours a day in a roadster for seven days straight. He walks and jogs several miles a day ... up to 10 miles a couple of times a week. Along with building up physical endurance, Dave spends many hours planning his route. Using a combination of internet mapping sites and other resources such as the HAMB and NSRA fellow pages, Dave maps out his general route. He then finds waypoints, (gas stations, hospitals, restaurants, etc.) which are near the road he will be on and must be easy to get off and find. He chooses more than 50 waypoints along his 8,400 mile journey. After seven days of 1,200 miles a day at an average speed of 67mph, he will finish the trip in Alaska.

HAMB_4.jpg
    Dave plans to make the upcoming trip in the same Deuce highboy he drove last time, and many times before as he has put over 100,000 miles on the roadster. The Wescott '32 roadster body sits on a custom chassis built by Brizio Street Rods with a chromed, 4-inch dropped I-beam axle, Posie Super Slide spring and Pete & Jake’s hairpins. The drivetrain is powered by an Edelbrock crate engine, Edelbrock 650 cfm carb, and B&M Turbo 350 transmission. The ceramic-coated exhaust system was custom built by Sanderson Headers and includes 30-inch mufflers. Other accoutrements include an MSD ignition, Taylor wires and a Lokar Shifter. The overall aesthetic of the roadster is completed by American Racing Wheels, B.F. Goodrich Radials, PPG Deep Black two-stage paint and black Bop Top and custom upholstery by Sid Chavers.

He is starting all over with many of the same sponsors’ decals on the roadster, and again the hood louvers can be sponsored for $100 each as well as collecting donations on his website www.49in7.com. Dave sees this not only as a personal challenge, but a challenge for the hot rod, custom and classic car communities to come together for a good cause benefiting the Ronald McDonald House children and their families. The Ronald McDonald House provides housing to families as their children undergo treatment for serious and life-threatening illnesses. The Palo Alto house will receive 100% of the donations raised by the "49in7 Drivin' for the Kids" event.

HAMB_5.jpg
    @TRJ has committed to helping the cause, and we will be bringing you updates as his trip approaches and during his seven-day journey. You can help too! Visit Dave's website for details and to make a donation today!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Best wishes going out to Dave on his 49in7 run. Did people hang out on overpasses and wave and wish him good luck as he drove past on the first run? I think there was a tracking system set up, and the route was set up to allow you to follow his progerss online.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Nice. Ronald McDonald House in Memorial Hermann Children's Hospital in Houston gave us many a night's sound sleep knowing we were just yards from our precious grandson Ethan during his open heart surgeries. He's a booming 2 1/2 years old now still facing surgeries in the future, but we thank God, the hospital and staff and the folks at Ronald McDonald House for making us comfortable and available for him.
    This IS one charity that is filled with heart and love and compassion and desrves all the support it can get.

4. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thanks Todd for the post. It was a lot of fun doing the last charity drive and was a huge success for all involved. Yes "Kid" there were people cheering me on along the way. The best was a nice lady in Nebraska, 40 miles from nowhere, standing in the middle of her late model T-Bird with a sign that said GO DAVE GO !!
    I believe this run will be even more exciting ! It is a much shorter route starting in Maine and I will finish again in the town of Hyder, Alaska. I will have the SPOT Tracking device on while driving back to Maine and also on the 49in7.
    I have to say thanks to TRJ for a wonderful job on their release. I am starting to get donation and calls about the event. The most important part besides donations, is getting the word out. So even if you can't make a donation, please let others know about the "49in7 Drivin' for the Kids"
    Thanks guys and gals, Dave

5. Agreed 100%.

The Dunn family stayed @ Ronald McDonald Houses when @HAMBANDY traveled to hospitals far away from their home in Newfoundland ... IIRC, they stayed at the Ronald McDonald House at Stanford when Andy underwent Cyberknife radiosurgery @ Stanford Hospital in Palo Alto.

Andy Dunn (1995-2009).jpg

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. Dave - I think this is still my favorite photo from your "49in9" run:

49in9 - Hyder, AK.jpg

7. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thanks Todd, it was my favorite too ! After 8 days, 16 hour and 48 min. traveling 9,856 miles, I was excited to see the "Welcome to Hyder, Alaska". There were no crowds to greet me, but there were two French ladies who were coming back from a hike. So I asked them if they would take a picture for me. Their english was limited, but they got the job done. Then it was off to the Sealaska Inn for a cold beer, something to eat and sleep. It was getting a bit cool and wet up there.

I'm looking forward to this years trip. I pray I have good weather and that the Roadster will hold together for this last blast around the country. I don't believe I will be doing any extreme drives after the 49in7. I will continue to use my hot rod to raise money for charities as long as I can gas it up and crawl in it.

Have fun out there, Dave

8. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Sorry guys I don't post on here a lot, and still don't know how to do the quote thing. I just want to thank all of you who supported the 49in9. Those of you who have used a Ronald McDonald House or know people who have, know what a wonderful service they provide for families with kids fighting for their lives. These houses are not supported by the McDonalds Corp. They receive funds through the metal boxes that accept your change at the register and is sent to Ronald McDonald House Charities, then divided up to the houses around the country. This amounts to only about 5% of the funds needed to run the house. So the other 95% is raised by the House through donations, fund raisers, golf tournaments and walkathons. Also from trust and endowments willed to the Houses.
    This is a place where the family can stay together when getting the care they need. It is a home away from home. The house at Stanford provides housing for families from all over the country. Some states don't have the heath care that is here in the Bay Area. So people go to where they have the best chance for their child's care. Some win some don't ......... but through it all, they have a place to stay ! So help if you can, it good stuff !

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Will your "route" be on your blog? I think that you stopped @ Pete & Jake's last time thru? We could go out and "cheer" you on from the road.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

10. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Maybe I missed it somewhere but when will you be doing this Dave?

11. Megan -

It was hiding in the first paragraph of the TRJ press release:

According to Dave's website ... Official Start Date: September 10th, 2011.

12. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

I'm still working on the route and looks like I will till I'm ready to go. This sucker is a tuff one. I have the East coast done and the West coast kinda, but the mid-section is the question. So far I have trimmed off 1,100 miles off the route, but need it to be around 8,400 miles. Sorry but I didn't stop at P&J's ,but would have loved to say hi to Jason and Jerry. In fact I didn't stop for much lst time.........lol

Dave

13. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Hey ChevyGirlRox,
    Loved seeing haul across the country with the flatty !!! nice job !

I will be leaving from Kittery, Maine at night just before Sept 10th. So anyone in the area come out and watch me cross the bridge. Or you can meet me in Hyder, Alaska and I'll buy you a beer !!!

Remember the reason I'm doing this, Ronald McDonald House ........ The Roadster is literally the vehicle to get hot rodders involved. Give what you can or just spread the word.

thanks, dave

14. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thanks again Todd, hope to see you at Fathers Day

15. Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  16. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Alot of respect for someone who can put hot rods and a good cause to work.

17. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

This is an epic endeavor for a really good cause. I've done a few thousand mile days in my roadster, but can't imagine stringing seven of them back to back. Godspeed.

18. Dave (@Butcher Boy) Schaub starts his 49 in 7 journey in just 1 month!

Be sure to checkout the recent updates to Dave's Blog ... and if you're able, please help out by making a tax deductible donation to Ronald McDonald House @ Stanford (just click HERE).

19. ... and because a thread can never have too many pics :):

Arriving at Roy Brizio Street Rods.jpg
    Roy checking out the work to be done.jpg
    Roy Brizio Street Rods, South San Francisco, CA.jpg
    Jason from Yak Graphics applying his skill.jpg
    Dave installs 'Stage 8' locking header bolts.jpg
    Old (smaller) Tank.jpg
    New (bigger) Tank.jpg
    On the road to Puyallup.jpg
    Spot Tracker, Garmin GPS and stuff.jpg
    Spot Tracker in action.png
    Day 1 of the 49in7 route.jpg

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  20. Got me a louver. Figured I'd go along for the ride :)

21. Dave (@Butcher Boy) Schaub STARTS his journey TONIGHT !!!

He will be leaving Kittery, Maine at ~12:00am EDT.

You can track his progress via the "49in7.com - Live Tracking!" webpage ... just click the SPOT logo below:

spot.gif

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  22. Here's a couple of pics taken earlier today at @oldcarkook's house in the Boston area:

Sept9-pic1.jpg
    The 49in7 Roadster ready for its journey

Sept9-pic2.jpg
    @oldcarkook
    & @Butcher Boy pose with the Roadster before Dave heads for Maine to start his 49in7 drive

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  23. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

49 states in 7 days and 2 countries too. He has to drive through British Columbia to get to Alaska! Good luck Butcher Boy. We'll be following you.

24. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Thanks everyone for the support in the past and on this deal as well. I'm about an hour from blast off ! I'm well rested, the car is in great shape. Only had a few minor issues on the 3,300 mile cruise out to the east coast. So wish me luck and follow along as I do 49 states in 7 days. Remember the reason I out here having fun, It's to create an opportunity
    for like minded folks to step up and make a difference they can be proud of. Do what you can to support this charity drive even if it's as simple as spreading the word to others.

Out here HAMBing it up, Dave

25. Butcher Boy

Butcher Boy

Hey Todd,
    Thanks for the post ! I'm proud to call you my friend ..........

Dave

26. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Good luck to you on your big adventure Dave! I will be sending good hot rod vibes your way!

27. GoDaveGo.jpg
    ... and be safe my friend​

28. oldcarkook

oldcarkook
    from Bahstin

He's off! Godspeed Dave.

29. Looks like he's moving along well. With my night vision, this would NEVER work. Go Dave !!