Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Holman-moody the history

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by frank spittle, Mar 18, 2011.

1. LOWDOWN2

LOWDOWN2
    from Ontario

One of the major shortcomings of this on-line/texting/keyboard-based world we now live in is the ease with which our words and intentions can get "twisted".

A wise dude once told me, "You can say almost anything to almost anyone and get your proper point across if you have the proper 'glint' in your eye..." Not seeing someone, face-to-face, impedes the proper interpretation of your words.

An improper em-PHA-sis on the wrong sy-LA-ble ensues...

Dave, wecome! MJ, welcome! Everyone, welcome! And thanks, Frank, for initiating this!

Now, more H/M - FoMoCo history please. As stated, this thread is GOLDEN!

2. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

[B]Good golly men - Mr. Lyall has always been a player - He would not have posted anything - If he did not intend on hanging around - It is grate when we all know he has done it - And is willing to tell us about the road he has traveled. [/B][/B]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
    Spooky likes this.
  3. Yblockguy

Yblockguy

Does anyone have any photos of the DePaolo Engineering Logo or just the back of someones coveralls? Anything will be greatly appreciated.

Spooky likes this.
  4. genuine jack

genuine jack

hey YBLOCK -
    it's funny , but i never thought about a depaolo logo , and don't remember ever seeing one . are you sure one ever existed ?
    anyway , i checked thru a bunch of pix of old DE [ that's NOT dale earnhardt ! :mad: ] car photos , and i can't find anything that looks like a DE logo . the closest i came was with two pix - the one below showing pops in the pits during the '56 southern 500 - but unfortunately we can't see the backs of anyone on the crew .
    the other showed weatherly in his '56 convert on the beach with a man standing next to him . unfortunately i can't get that pic to post , but i can see something on the back of man's shirt [ he's standing in profile] , but no more than something dark . for that matter , i don't know if this guy was a ford crewman or a nascar official .
    but i would think depaolo would have had SOME sort of logo - i just can't remember ever seeing one . sorry .

jack

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    Spooky likes this.
  5. genuine jack

genuine jack

hi dave [ lyall ]
    i just want to add my belated welcome to the HM thread . it's great to have another die-hard ford man * here [ outside of the All Ford Nationals , i've never been among so many good ford folks ] . i hope you can show us some photos , and that you'll continue telling us about your racing experiences .
    i saw your "going thing" '70 mustang at the all ford nats several years ago . that was / is a beautiful car --and it WAS a "going thing" !! :)

* and speaking of ford men - and those that apparently are not ; i can't help but wonder what a chevy lover [ who's also afraid to tell us his name ! ] like "spiderman" is doing on a ford / HM site . seems to me his sole purpose is to yank our chains .... or perhaps he just wants to see what the "better half" is saying !! :)

jack

Spooky likes this.
  6. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Mammyjammer; No need to apologize, no offense taken, no harm, no foul. Dave Lyall

7. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Genuinejack:

Below are some of my cars from early 60's to early 70's. I already posted my '61 Galaxie. Next time I post, I will add some more pictures.

There were four going thing Mustangs, only one survives. I will post a picture of it undergping a period correct restoration.

All of the cars shown had H&M equiptment on them. Dave Lyall

Opps, the six pictures I uploaded did not post. I will try again when I have the time. Dave

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
    Spooky likes this.
  8. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I just want to say thanks to Rick, Butch and Dave for posting their first hand knowledge and experience about H&M.

Spooky likes this.
  9. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

For the record; We never had any of your motors or anything directly from H-M. After participating in modified eliminator I moved to comp with the 56' Chrysler pictured in my avitar.
    This Thunderbolt, #87 in production was a competitive threat from day one when it arrived in middle Tennessee sometime around March 64' if I'm not mistaken, and my purpose here was to declare how difficult loyalists had it once hoarding of obsoleted parts was deemed more profitable than being competitive, not an emblem war.
    In our case there was never much choice, and the present day trading value of some of this stuff I believe still stands as testament to the point. Is it possible to price yourself out of competition?
    But then again who am I. Certainly not a collector because my second car happens to be competitive Toyota also.
    Tom S. in Tn.

10. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

A free market will always establish the actual value of something. Dave Lyall

Spooky likes this.
  11. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

Today's market with a no value backed currency is far from free, but that's a discussion that's going to get us both censored.
    Good day......... Tom S. in Tn.

12. genuine jack

genuine jack

my father used to say that an item's value is only as much as someone is willing to pay for it .

[this is only partly true , however , as i could not / would not put a dollar value on many of the things i own ] .

jack

13. genuine jack

genuine jack

:eek:....:mad:....

oooooooohhh , tom...

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  14. genuine jack

genuine jack

this is one of the best photos of fred that i've ever seen . he's in his '65 galaxie - perhaps the same car that was later restored by our own dr. john craft . he's strapping in and ready to go .
    thought i'd share this with you , and , if she's still watching this site , fred's daughter .

jack

zzzzzzzzzzz10.jpg

15. genuine jack

genuine jack

..........Q U I Z .....Q U I Z .....Q U I Z .....

.............................Prize....Prize....Prize.....

here's a quiz for you experts out there [ that's not you , "spiderman" :D ].
    let's see who will be the first to identify this boat's famous driver ; and why this boat played a huge role in ford's later motorsports involvement . everyone is eligible except "spiderman" , who wouldn't know this boat's engine from a boss 429 anyway !
    first one with the correct answers gets a BIG WET ONE from frank , so hurry !

and if no one responds or shows any interest , then i'll just say [ as some people in new joisey - probably "spiderman" , but sointenly not i :) ]... "FEGETABOUTIT" !

jack

NOTE - a "wet one" is a moist towelette , isn't it ? boy i hope so - otherwise frank's going to be royally PEE OHH-ed ....[put out] !

zzzzzzzzzzz9.jpg

16. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Fred Lorenzen making an appearance with a Thunderbolt

[​IMG]

Holman Moody 64 Fairlane HT 427 built for Phil Bonner....still not a Thunderbolt in my book.

[​IMG]

Spooky likes this.
  17. frank spittle

frank spittle

I watched Fred race that car at a Charlotte Motor Speedway drag race. I may have mentioned this in a previous post but Lorenzen got his start in racing as a drag racer. He told me once that he won many trophies before entering his first round track race.......where he won cash. That is when he made the change.

18. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Quote:
    here's a quiz for you experts out there [ that's not you , "spiderman" :D ].
    let's see who will be the first to identify this boat's famous driver ; and why this boat played a huge role in ford's later motorsports involvement . Quote.

Bill Stroppe on the Detroit River, forever endearing himself with the Ford family, especially Benson Ford.

As for the prize, make mine DRY, please. LOL

19. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

The Power Boat guy would be Bill Stroppe, and his success in this boat, powered by a Ford Flathead Six, got him noticed by Benson Ford, (Henry's second grandson) who was president of the Lincoln - Mercury Division of Ford Motor Company at the time. Benson funded Stroppe with money, cars and equiptment for a Ford Motor Company effort, and Stroppe's team, using Indy 500 Drivers, won the Mexican Road Race for three years in a row ('52, '53 & '54) with Lincoln Sport Coupes. A member of the support crew was John Holman. When Ford division got serious about NASCAR, Bill Stroppe supported Pete DePolo's efforts, initally in California, and later with John Holman moving to North Carolina to organize the team in the heartland Of NASCAR. The rest is History, and Stroppe continued his work with Ford Racing untill his passing away.

20. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

sorry Jack.
    How do you make the bubble face move? All I can do is make these smiley's ( :
    Tom S. in Tn.

21. Here's a goofy question,but how do you pronounce Stroppe ?? Is it Strop as in "op-erate"
    Stroppy as in "Hoppy? Strowpe as in St-row-pe?
    I've never heard it spoken, just one of those heroes I've always read about
    Stan ( as in Stan -the- man)

22. genuine jack

genuine jack

it rhymes with "mop" , as in "mopping up the competition" !!

23. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Stroppe's last name was pronounced "Sta-rop"

24. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Genuinejack:

Below are some of my cars from early 60's to early 70's. I already posted my '61 Galaxie. Next time I post, I will add some more pictures of later cars.

There were four going thing Mustangs, only one survives. I will post a picture of it undergoing a period correct restoration.

All of the cars shown had H&M equiptment on them. Dave Lyall

Attached Files:

25. Dave Lyall

Dave Lyall

Genuinejack:

Below are some more of my cars from early 70's to the present. I

There were four going thing Mustangs, only one survives. The last picture is the '69 Going Thing undergoing a complete, period correct restoration.

Note the Holman & Moody decal on my '98 Mustang Top Sportsman car.

My success through the years depended on support from Holman Moody, especially during the heydays.

Attached Files:

Spooky likes this.
  26. genuine jack

genuine jack

WOW !! thanx dave . neat stuff . i remember your falcon very well - the first ALL 'glass FX car . is that photo of the restored car ,or is it a period photo ? * i should be able to tell , but my eyes "ain't" what they used to be .:mad:
    i'm also wondering if your '62 was one of the 11 factory light weights , or was it a regular tudor with light weight parts added , or.....?
    same question with regard to your '63 - was that a factory light weight ? i'm pretty sure butch leal in mickey thompson's '63 - in the near lane - was a lt. wt. ....and i can't help but notice and comment on the huge hole shot you pulled on the "flash" ! i'm trying to think of something faster than a "flash" . maybe they should have called you "ford lightning" - 2 of the fastest words in the english language !! :)
    and what colors were the hood and side stripes on your pinto pro ?
    thanx again , dave .
    jack

* never mind , dave . i just noticed the motorcraft banner , and motorcraft didn't exist in 1965 , so it's obviously a pic of the restored car .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  27. genuine jack

genuine jack

hi tom -
    that's my friend roger , and you don't MAKE him do anything !! :)
    actually , i brought him over from randy ayers' nascar modeling site . he's one of the many "emoticons" they have over there . i quickly adopted him as my mascot , so to speak , as he cracks me up every time he goes thru his apoplectic rages - he looks like he's about to have a stroke ! . he's called a "rant" , but i call him roger the rager [ no relation to former indy driver roger rager ] , as he looks like he's always raging about something . when i first came over here , i was disappointed to find so few emoticons to choose from - and especially no "roger" . so i went back to randy's and downloaded [ uploaded ? ] roger into my computer . i had no idea if it would work until i tried it , but when i tried posting roger over here , he showed up . fair warning , tho - don't get roger mad . he'll get in your face and under your skin and never let go . and one more fair warning , tom . roger does not like that engine in your avitar ...not even a little bit !!!

Attached Files:

28. genuine jack

genuine jack

only 2 guys knew the answer to this quiz ? well fuzzball and dave , you're both right , of course . but fuzzball gets the prize , as he got his answer in first . so let me see if i can find frank so he can deliver your prize in person . i saw him in the hall a little while ago . hold on .....
    "frank"....."F R A N K" ...."FRAAANNNKKK".....
    very strange . i just saw frank running ...running very fast ... out to his car . i've never seen him in such a hurry . who'da thought you could lift the front wheels on that big mercury on the way out of the parking lot ? !!
    i'm afraid you'll have to catch frank whereever you can to collect your prize , fuzzball . evidentally he's not inclined to give it up !!
    i would've thought a few more would have responded , even if they didn't know the answer .
    there's more to the story , and it's pretty interesting - at least to dave ,fuzzball , and myself . but it's a lot of work typing [ with one finger !] it out when no one is interested . so i'll just say fegetaboutit !! :)

29. genuine jack

genuine jack

dave -
    i've been going thru indybigjohn's historic stock car photos thread . i'm only a bit more than halfway thru , but i came upon your question about photos of joe weatherly's and curtis turner's 1955 southern 500 fords . your post was from over a year ago , so you may not remember . anyway , i posted the only 2 pix i have of the cars , and they're not very good .
    just thought i'd give you a heads up in case you haven't checked that thread in a while .

jack

30. Tom S. in Tn.

Tom S. in Tn.

If there were any way to have known how people have valued limited run cars and parts for racing, would you ever have taken a chance of tearing any of it up racing it?

Over the past year, I learned the original engine out of the Thunderbolt we raced was stolen, and not just once but twice. The first time from the second owner I was on the team with in 74', and again by thieves in the night from the next guy sometime later in the decade.

The 427 and 428 parts I used were mostly given to me after replacements could no longer be found around 70'.
    We bought a whole ex Brandon & Turnage tp in 76' for a Bantam style econo altered with both manifolds for $500.
    Wonder what present value of that is today?

YG on the Chicago exchange still close to $1,850 today, silver $45.
    Wonder what a 64' lightweight is right now per troy oz.?
    Wonder if you could syndicate or split one up to several investors like a race horse?? Is this ever done?
    Tom S.