Register now to get rid of these ads!

another 235 chevy question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slinginrods, Aug 28, 2011.

1. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

who has used the t5 behind their 235 and hows it done?new bellhousing?or does it bolt to the original 3 spd bellhousing?mine is a1955 235 truck eng and 3 spd.thanks

2. jalopy45

jalopy45

Do a search on the Inliners forum, they have several threads on this swap and loads of info and parts numbers to make it work in most chasis. http://www.inliners.org/

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Lots of threads on this. In short, drill the mounting holes out to take 1/2 inch bolts. shorten the throwout collar, and shorten the pilot shaft.

4. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

cool thanks guys

5. 1958apache

1958apache

I'm in the process documenting the swap I did in my 1958 truck. Best thing I have ever done to my truck hands down!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623998

6. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

haven't run mine yet, but swap is completed... used camaro w/c trans w/ s10 tail housing...my truck had the 9" clutch, so swapped flywheels for the larger clutch , but yours may have it all ready... then used astro van clutch and pressure plate and stock release bearing... had to take a bit off the trans mainshaft (3/8" maybe) and open up two holes on the trans to bell housing... was way easier then i expected...
    [​IMG]

7. Snarl

Snarl

If using a T5 from a '83-92 S10:

Method #1:
    Trim 3/8" off the tip of the input shaft.
    Trim 1" off the bearing retainer.
    Run a 1/2" drill bit through the mounting holes.

Test fit trans and disc to make sure the disc will pull back enough to disengage the flywheel. If it doesn't, (and they usually don't), you will need to either grind some off the back of the disc hub, lengthen the splines on the input with a Dremel tool, or use a 1/8" spacer between the trans and bellhousing.

Method #2:
    Buy a $150 spacer from one of several sources which moves the trans back enough to allow it to be installed without any modifications other than drilling out the mounting holes to 1/2".

If you want a cable driven speedo, you will need to look for a '83-89ish S10 version, but look at it before buying as some of these were electric and you can't just swap the slugs around.