Register now to get rid of these ads!

King Of Trucks Chapter Three...Serious Bidness...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terd ferguson, Jul 11, 2011.

1. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

g.f.y.

2. hotdamn

hotdamn

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:)

3. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

:D!!

terd missed ya at breakfast guy

4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Great......... now I got "Banana Puddin" by Southern Culture on the Skids stuck in my head!

5. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I missed y'all. The knee is better but still quite painful. All that ice took the swelling down some.

6. Get that knee healed up. They can be a real bitch sometimes.
    Every time I see a picture of that motor I think it gets better and better.
    When I built my truck I took that seem on the firewall out. It smoothed out the firewall a bunch.
    Great Build!
    Later,
    Dick

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I've been playing in the Ocean for a couple days in the Outer Banks with the family. Gnarly waves for sure, thought the riptide was gonna swallow me up. Anyhow, I'll post those images I took with my phone when I get back. Davina's birfday tomorrow!

Until then.....
    [​IMG]

8. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for the pic JJ! I can't wait to see the rest!!! Hope Davina had a great birthday!!!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here are the rest.....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

So when are you guys gonna get the Show Truck running? Looks like you've been spending all your time making it look good!

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Inner Fenders....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the greatest quality of pics but not too shabby for cell phone pics. Just like with any cell phone the low lighting pics bring out the grain from a high iso.

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Hahaha!!! We're one trick ponies!

13. Damn that engine is some kinda sweet. Lookin good. Hang fire.
    How's the knee?
    Later,
    Dick

14. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Dick,

The knee is all better. Thanks for asking. What I thought was pneumonia is actually only bronchitis and its getting worse, lol. I got an antibiotic today. I'm going to the shop tomorrow to try and button everything up except the front clip installation (for which I'll need a couple of helping hands).

This is a short list...
    Ignition- Set timing and wire distributor to coil/transformer. Plug wires.
    Trans- Shifter cable to shifter arm on trans.
    Body- Install front clip.
    Wiring- Rewire headlights/turn signals once front clip is on.
    Fill fluids.

I think that's it. Sounds like there should be more, lol. But I think that's it. :D

You got that right! And thanks for all the swell pics!

If I can get that short list done tomorrow (and I think I can, its only two things, lol), I should have plenty of hands to get the front clip installed on Wednesday night at our club's shop night. Should be cranking it up and test driving right after.

15. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

You forgot burnouts :D

See you on wednesday

16. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks for reminding me!

17. cookiemonster131

cookiemonster131

Terd, don't stop get it get it!

18. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Don't stop something hit it.

I've been delirious with fever but I've still managed to get some stuff done.

First off, after hurting my knee and coming down sick, I go back after being away for a few days to find my buddies Delton and Jeremy finished installing the Lokar cables. Man, I appreciate y'all so much for thinking of me and helping me to keep moving even when I'm down.

I got the wiring for the coil straightened out and made a bracket to hold the shifter cable at the trans. I extended the generator wires and installed the brake light switch I had forgotten about. I've got the engine at tdc, but I painted over the timing marks on the balancer, lol. I'll get it as close as I can in the morning.

I'll get the shifter cable and bracket installed in the morning. I've got a few VERY small odds and ends to tie up and I'll be ready to put the front clip back on when people show up for shop night tomorrow night.

And speaking earlier of the coil/transformer, I found out today it may not work with the Magspark. The transformer is a Super Mag and may be magneto-only. Bubba said to wire it up and check for spark. It might work, it might not. If that goes well, I'll try and fire it up then. If not, I have to wait for a replacement transformer from Bubba.

19. bigbadcad

bigbadcad
    from ga

Damn dude! that ole Caddy mill is just sic! glad you wound up with it makes me proud!!

20. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Thanks dude!!!

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Tonight I had a bunch of little loose ends to tie up and a couple of small projects. Here's the boring details...
    Ran fuel lines from tank to fuel pump.
    Got fittings and installed fuel rail from fuel pump to carbs.
    Wired the transformer.
    Set the timing.
    Installed all the plug wires.
    Fixed one wire/wrong terminal on the starter.
    Hooked up the battery and checked for spark. (I didn't know for sure if the Super Mag transformer would work).
    Poured gas in center carb and fired up.

That's right, it turned over, started and ran with the gas in the carb. It sounded pretty healthy too! :D I figured out all the rear lights work. I finally have brake lights again (been a long time due to broken switch, lol).

So as it was running, we discovered the balancer pulley was wobbling. I almost had a heart attack but it turns out the nut just need running in some more. Shawn helped me set the timing and boy did he get it really close from what little we heard. My buddy Pork Chop, who did the striping helped me with the balancer, getting a broken bolt out and running a tap through the holes (too much paint and I SUCK at tapping, haha!).

There's some more loose ends and stuff I forgot about, but here's what's left before I can drive...
    Tighten carb bodies to bases (I had a little leak, worst case probably means new gaskets).
    Get and install battery box and longer cables for mounting in the bed.
    Get and install new lower pulley bolts (I used polished stainless and broke one so I'm just going with Grade 8 for these).
    Tig weld repair to the shifter arm on the trans then install and hook up cable.
    Get and install engine belt.
    Get and install hose fitting for the intake for the pcv.
    Install front clip.
    Attach radiator hoses and fill coolant.
    Attach trans cooler and fill trans.
    Hook up headlight and turn signal wires.

I should have everything on the list done tomorrow except the tig weld repair and the stuff after installing the front clip. My buddy Jeremy will do the tig and I'll need some hands for the front clip. Probably two or three hours start to finish. Then some fine tuning on the timing and carbs if they need it. And I'll be off loose in the streets again doin' what I do best (just like The Bandit), showin' off.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  22. Wait! You can't start an engine without a front clip! Are you crazy??:rolleyes:

Congrats.

BloodyKnuckles

23. JeremyJames

JeremyJames
    from concord NC
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Get the shift arm off the trans and it will be done in 1.35 minutes. Also look to see if the clevis on your shifter linkage is the same as the shift arm. If not let me know what you want me to build.

24. Sweet stuff there, Kev! Looking forward to seeing the "King" next month!

25. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Sounds like it's coming along well! All those little details and stuff........... still fun!

26. MalibuKasey

MalibuKasey

The grin on your face lastnight when it fired for the first time.... That made it all worth it. The Cad is going to sound NASTY!! Big congrats! Its come a long way!

27. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Sounded nasty dude. Did pulley issue get resolved?

28. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Shawn had me starting it before I knew what was happening, lol.

I've got the shifter arm off and in my pocket. I've got a couple of options for the cable end (its threaded). You'll need to look at what I've got and see what will work best or come up with something entirely different. Either way, easy peasy.

I can't wait to see YOU!

The devil's in the details. That's for sure. But it is SUPER close now.

Thanks Kasey. I was really really nervous that something wouldn't work and it wouldn't run, haha! Thank goodness that was for nothing!

Yeah, the nut holding the balancer just needed to be run in a little more.

29. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Stay tuned for an update with a couple of pics...