Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;thanks for the offer!! The new lower control arms are installed,had to order new upper ball joints,no one had them,not even N P D !! I rewrapped the wiring,cleaned up a few loose ends,guess I can do some chores around the house until the parts come in!! The 65 Barracuda will be too cool!! ROY.

2. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Nuthin like the 60's! Can anyone explain the wheels?

[​IMG]

3. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

aw Muttley, all your posted pix are MIA...

4. SOHC427

SOHC427

Damn It, ROY, Don't be busting shit up!!! I don't like hearing stuff like that.

I am glad there is only minor damage, it it didn't break at the far end, and your OK.

Looking forward to seeing you at the reunion!
    Eric

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Eric;it could have been WAY worse!!! C-YA in October!!! ROY.

6. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Havent been on here that much. Its been a bad year for me personally. Friends and family passing away. Havent raced since july. Have done some new stuff though and possibly some exciting news next week. Cant say too much but it is awesome, A Comet Lovers dream come true or at least for a A/FX junky like me.

Need to get my mind back on racing, I wish i could go out to Cecil County and hang out with Troublemaker but am not going to be able to. I am going to try and make it to The California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield and Compete one last time before winter. I hear there is going to be some other kick ass Comets there.

Heres some pics from my friend Dale's Wife took when I raced his Thunderbolt out at Julesburg.If it was up to me, I would only race Nostalgic cars all the time. Just like stepping back in time. This is my kind of racing!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Roy- I hope you can clear your schedule to come in December to Mooneyes?? I plan on spending the night, getting locked in like last years. Cold as all get up, but it was fun to wake up at o'dark thirty, and make some of STRONGEST coffee I ever brew, and watch the rats flow in to park!!

8. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

JUnky- get in touch with the NHRA asap. Its a closed field this year, and you need to submit. Maybe Roy's already given you the rundown. They'll FREAK OUT with your car!!

9. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Been messing with the Comet. This is a pic of the Shifter handle that Ronnie Sox ran in his Comet and Phil Bonner ran in his Falcon. Gave up looking for one so with the Help of Fast Eddie we made one. Just not brave enough to try that Roll Control Ronnie was running there( almost have to have three hands with that Lever, Mr 427 was the man) So I put in the Button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

When do we get to see pics with the Howards?

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

I ran out of time this weekend. I was getting my Wagon ready. I'm loading the video as we speak. The plan is to hit two or three of the old Strips here in Colo. Starting with Century 21 and do an old time Photo shoot.Then Mountain Vu and Thunder Road.

Thanks for Hooking me up they turned out great. Was up in your part of town delivering at the new Cheese Factory, Saw your altered Wheelbase Sitting outside, Looked awesome Made my Day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  12. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Late night Comet A/FX TV

This is what I did this weekend, If you cant go racing. Do some fabbing and have some fun.

Almost ready for some old time Traveling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  13. 1BADFE

1BADFE

Lookin' good Ken! Looks like it sits pretty good with a load.

14. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

All I Need is Dual Exhaust and a 4 Barrel, Some vintage Decals in the window and we will ready to go.

Bakersville or Bust ( I shouldnt say Bust to loudly , Roys Marshmellow Hammer is going Crazy)

15. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Some more Late Night Comet TV. Those Cali. Guys have all the Fun.

Todd Hoffmans 65

[​IMG]

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;WOW,1964 all over again!!!!! You should have gotten a pre-approval for the CHRR but you still need to fill out the form and send it in with your money and class that you want to run.Dale and I are in Exhibition,DFs deal will be too quick of a qualified field for our old Comets,and I do not want to deal with him!! I promise to leave the BFH home!! ROY.

17. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I would come to Moon Eyes Christmas gig but I can not deal with DF!!! I am too old to fight and too young for prison!!The video of Todd's Comet was from this years A/FX Night at the Escondido Cruise night. ROY.

18. Muttley

Muttley

Sorry, Photobucket is not pleased with me at the moment.

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Ken Im new here but have seen some great shots and video of yours... Great job and your 64 afx car is really awesome too!

20. matt Delio

matt Delio

those wheels are reversed wheels that came on the a-b fx'ers (that car is the former, mccoy mercury,-rich reily-driver, the boardwalker, johnny white-driver tom marsano motors-george weiler-driver. When al hienkel bought it they painted it yellow, put an injected sbc it and ran in d/a-c/g-c/mod at various tracks in jersey, del, eastern pa, and maryland. Car always ran hard, held nhra national record in c/a i believe. Has been restored to original a/fx McCoy Mercury statis by rich delisio. later matt.:D:D

21. SOHC427

SOHC427

Ken, your double 64 set up looks great! Use that aluminum trailer, and save a few pounds!
    Eric

22. Ken your tow rig looks awesome!!

23. http://www.fe.fairlanet.com/

Here is a link for our Cecil Co. Dragway FE Get Together. Feel free to print and give them out to those who may be interested.

24. Merritt

Merritt

Wow! Ken, what a great looking rig!

25. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Update on the Hawaii Hi-Po 1964 Comets.As ya'all might remember,Jimmy Pflueger Special Ordered ten 1964 Hi-Po Comets through his Dealership for public sale.The ten Comets were split into two groups of five that included five Cyclones and five Calientes.Nine of the Comets were shipped directly to Honolulu.One Cyclone made a side trip to Bill Stroppes in Long Beach,and then to Honolulu.I have been researching these Comets for 25 years.During that time I located two of the Cyclones and one Caliente.Just this past week another of Pfluegers Cyclones has popped up in Hawaii.The owner has the build sheet and is sending it to me.I have also come across the window sticker of the Cyclone that was sent to Stroppe.Stroppe converted the Cyclone to a B/FX Comet.It's the only 1964 Stroppe prepared B/FX Comet ever made.More news to follow...

26. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Super clean '65 spotted at the Detroit Dragway reunion '11 according to "Dearborn Flashback".
    Wish there were more Wheels up action pics!

[​IMG]

27. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

RE Post 2815:
    I didn't realize Wayne Gapp (later Gapp & Roush) had an AFX Comet. Any idea which car this is, or what became of it? Was it factory, or owner-built?

28. 64 BFX Cyclone

64 BFX Cyclone
    from Honolulu

I was poking around John Durand's photo website, and saw a photo of Sox' rear suspension, and realized, holy crap, he ground off big chunks of the rear leaf springs to clear the bulge of the tire sidewall!!!

29. gtbpappy

gtbpappy
    from colorado

any one may know this car? looks like it was raced in so. california in the 60's and 70's. driver on the door says mike rumbaugh. cars name says el condor with f&m muffler service as a sponsor from poway california, along with american and foreign auto parts. thanks!!!

Attached Files:

30. 65COMET

65COMET

64 BFX Cyclone;many of the early leaf spring cars had this done,the springs didn't do much more than hold up the rear,the traction bars did the work. gtbpappy;that is a 64 Falcon,you may have better luck in the 64/65 A/FX Falcon thread,there are people on here though that may have info. ROY.