Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Curbspeed Coupe. "Holy Hell" 10/4/2020

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Sorry for the lack of updates on this build. I had a major medical setback back in April and was not able to work on the car for quite a few month. Reconstructive left knee replacement will do that to you. I was able to get a lot of small stuff done but not really photo worthy. Front end is all chromed as well as the rear spring. I did alot of prep work for the chroming process. Lots of sanding. I could do that sitting down. Quickchange is finished and paid for. Will pick that up on Friday. I should have this chassis at least rolling by the following week.I need to get some work done to the rear of the body so it will slip on the frame. Working on the transmission mount area. I will update photos pretty soon. This project is far from dead. I am feeling better now but still not back to work. Proof I'm not lying is in the picture.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. hasty

hasty

Sorry to hear about your knee - hope you are recovering well.
    Any updates very much appreciated when you are ready - one of the hot builds on the HAMB.

3. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Your build is very inspiring, love it!,
    i'll admit that i will take a peek or two on this thread for inspiration on my 2 1934's builds, aswell as some bass threads ;)

hope your knee heals good!

4. Got back to business this week. Picked up the quickie from my buddy who delivered it from Bonneville to Phoenix. Thanks Rory!(Sinister Speed here on the hamb) Got the frame at least to roller stage today with help of a hotrod friend here in town(Thanks Kirk Ward). Kirk has been a good friend and has helped me out a lot and I really appreciate it.
    I do have a problem that maybe someone can help out with.
    I seem to have too much camber.(about 4-5 degrees) Are 37-41 spindles all the same? Maybe my axle is bent? Wheels are kinda buggered. I already chromed the front axles so I am kinda bummed if I need to have it straightened. I should have had it checked out. Do I need 37 spindles to match my V-8 60 axles? Any help in this area would be great. This is the first time with this axle setup. After I got it rolling today I started to tackle the back floorpan area. It had been poorly repaired sometime ages ago by some would be restorer with no metal working skills. Cut out the majority of it tonight but will finish it tomorrow. I have a new rear floorpan section from SAR and will fab up the remainder. It looks like the previous owner used a sedan rear floorpan area .I'm not sure. Here are a pictures of my day in no particular order. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Nice to see you back at it Dale! I noticed the cane at Watson Lake last month, but that's not something you usually ask about, ya know? Glad to see your on the mend.

6. More floopan pics. Areas will be cut out and replaced that are bad. Pic of 7-11 coupe is the attidude I am going for. That is the reason the chassis looks high. When the 371 Olds J-2 gets plugged in it will come down a lot I'm sure. You can see in the last picture the horrible attempt to repair the back area. This is the piece I started cutting out turned over to show the carnage.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. Thanks Chip. Ya, I had to use that cane for quite awhile. I'm doing much better now thank you. Time to Rock and Roll on this sucker. Gotta get that front axle thing worked out first.

8. Forgot to add my tranny saddle modification. I have yet to make the mount for the 4 speed but will after the body repairs ar made. I will have to cut the firewall as well.. Sorry, I can't find the right pictures on my computer at this time.
    Forgot to add a BIG thanks to Nick at HotrodWorks. Awesome job on my quickchange. I am very happy with it. Been wanting one forever and now I do. Expensive but well worth it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  9. Looking good Dale !

10. That frame looks amazing!! Fantastic work. Thank you for sharing the build with us.

11. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

Dale.
    They must have used an old Lincoln stick welder on your knee.
    Mike

heavydumper likes this.
  12. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Looking good Dale! I love that quick-change in there.

...you should shave your other knee to match! Anyway hope it feels better.

13. Hey Mike, That's good. It actually healed up quite nicely as far as the scar goes. Now if I can get what's inside to heal up as well I'll be in business. You should try and make it down to Tucson and see me if ya get the chance. I might make it to GG's in Scottsdale.

Kris, How the heck are you? You SLC boys building anything groovy at the moment? When are we gonna see another build thread on one of your bitchin' cars. Thanks for the nice remarks fella's
    (Hi Throb!)

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

lookin' bad ass! I wish the floor was that nice in mine....hell, I just wish there was a floor....

15. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Kickass Dale... the chassis looks great!

16. Legendary Lars

Legendary Lars

I like the front axle I hope ya get to keep it. Lookin good, our 34 build had same issues with floor some Van floor was in it with fiberglass holding it together. We did the SAR also and it turned out nice. Hope your Leg recovers quickly.

17. Thanks Lars, I was just looking at your thread. I see you used my idea on the rear frame horns. Works good huh? That's the "Seaholm Hightail"(tm). Your car is turning around nicely.

18. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

19. The frame looks awesome, had to go back and take another look. Spent 3-4 hours on the F100 installing a new fuel pump and hoses. How much are you going to chop the top ?

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I friggin' love this build!! Keep going!!! You're killin' it!! Can't wait for more progress updates.

21. Rob, I hope you got your truck squared around. I am going to chop the top exactly like the 7-11 coupe I posted a pic of earlier. That is the perfect chop in my opinion.
    Thank Scooter. It's nothing like you have accomplished like I have said before. Your skills are off the hook. Gonna have to take a break today. I have to deliver a car to Long Beach, Ca later today.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're WAY too nice! HAHA! But thanks! :eek: How long will you be in the LB area??

23. Just dropping off a car at Kiwi Shipping going to New Zealand. Why? What did ya have in mind? Wanna invite me to your place to see your car? That would be cool. I might be able to make that happen if your fairly close to the 91.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAY far from the 90. Today is terrible! Crazy around here! But if you were going to be here tomorrow I was going to invite you to swing by.

Is that the same shipping place that CraigR works at??

25. alchemy

alchemy

Yes you do have too much negative camber, especially on that one wheel. I'd say the axle is bent. Everybody says big truck alignment places can bend them, so take it there and hope the chrome stays put.

I think I've read that a half degree positive camber is best.

26. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

that is some nice work!favorite car of all time (33-34 five window)!!love the high in front drag car look!! ive been thinking of doin a car like this forever( more like dreaming)im subscribed

27. Frame looks awesome, time to get Squeak out there to chop that top.

28. Thanks, That's the advice that I have been looking for. I might just have to eat the chroming job this time. That was the conclusion I came up with too. Pass side looks worse than the drivers side. Note to self: Never chrome or use an axle without getting it checked out first!. It looked straight.

29. Yes, He is working to get me some hauling jobs. Good guy. Pm me your number and I might give you a call when I get over there. Dale It will be tomorrow when I roll into LA.

30. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell Craig to quit bein' a slacker and come to breakfast more often for me! :D