Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally found a good deal on a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Goodlife, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Goodlife

Goodlife

I bought this forty coupe with the notion I would refurbish it front to back keeping the traditional hot rod theme. Being retired, the wife and I have visions of driving a vintage vehicle on cross country trips to visit our grandchildren.

Starting with the power plant, I had talked to at least 5 engine re builders who had a starting price for a flathead rebuild in the $4000 and up price range. I had briefly considered a sbc but just couldn't violate my traditional values. I kept thinking if I just waited and had some patience the right combination would pop up, and if push came to shove I would have the flatty in the car rebuilt at considerable expense. Well, after DAYS of perusing the various web sights I finally found a fresh flathead out of a show quality vehicle that was going with a modern drive line.

I scored the engine at about 20% of the rebuild estimates, which leaves plenty for a Bubba distributor etc. The Fenton cast headers will be replaced, so watch for them on the sale board here if you might need them. The point is, being patient is truly a virtue. I guess as I get older, I am starting to believe in some of the trueisms of life.

Attached Files:

2. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Great score! When through the same thing myself and also got a great deal at a fraction of the rebuild cost. Good luck on your 40.

3. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

As you said planning and patience is everything. If its meant to be, it will find you, just like that motor for you did. Had a similar thing with the suspension on my car, could have spent a fortune and just learned that someone ordered nearly everything i need and didn't complete the deal. Not quite the saving your talking about but a good 50% off. Alot when you don't have over much in the car fund pot!
    Hope your motor takes you and your wife where you want to go, good luck!

Regards Dan

4. Good start and great idea on keeping it flat, you won't regret it and yes the world truly is flat................

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like a nice engine good deal and good luck on your build

7. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Well done on the flatty. And I applaud you In not breaking with you traditional values. Welcome to the club!

8. flatjack

flatjack

Nice score. You may have to change the oil pan to the Merc or truck rear sump style. That's what I have in my 39. Also truck water pumps.

9. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Good for you !
    Great find.
    And as far as the patience goes...you are right. I am retired, and find that my patience also has gotten a lot better, especially since my retirement fund took a crap !! :eek:
    Cheers, and keep us posted.

10. Fe26

Fe26

Whoo-Hoo!!!

I've sent you a PM

11. tjmercury

tjmercury

Always great to see another flathead getting back on the road!