Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '39 Ford deluxe coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b-bob, Jul 17, 2011.

1. b-bob

b-bob

I had been doing some bodywork on this coupe for a friend of mine. His plans changed and i ended up buying the project to get into something that drives smoother than my A sedan. I have a screwed up back that is tender, so going very far in the A just didn't work anymore.

It was more than i could afford,but i know in the long run,i will be much happier. I love these '39/40 coupes and this was the first time in my life i had the chance to have one.

The coupe was torn right down and all parts plastic media blasted and the frame sand blasted. There was minor rust in the panels behind the doors and i replaced the rear pan. The worst part of the car is the left rear fender, it was poorly repaired over the years and looks like someone used a ball peen hammer on it! All the missing parts in the pictures are with the car and in mint condition, except for the headlight lenses and bulbs.
    The car came with most of Drake's catalog of parts needed to put it back together.
    Plan is to repair the back fenders and then start painting all the pieces,and start assembling it again. The mechanicals are all done with all new parts and the car runs, brakes and steers now, so that part is done. Dash and all the inside window mouldings,steering column etc i had already painted before.
    I am helping a friend with some work on his '40 tudor, and when that is done it will be full speed ahead on this coupe, because i need it to be finished for next spring.
    That is my story and i am very excited to get going on it, wish me luck and hope my back holds up ,so i can get it finished. I have a large bottle of Tylenol and lots of painkillers, so i am set, Brian:D:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How's this for a ramp truck? a 52 GMC on i believe a 72 frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. rawkie

rawkie

gonna be a killer ride when your finished up, nice 52 as well

3. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Awesome. One of the top-five FoMoCo products of all time. Keep us posted. :D

4. That's going to be a nice ride. Love those '39 Coupes and Sedans. You get the benefit of the cowl vent as well as the push out windshield.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

All the best with your new coupe. Looks great. Keep us posted on progress. Hope your back feels better.

6. Man I'd love to have a tow truck like that to move projects around!!!

7. hotrod mike

hotrod mike

Hmmm, something cool about a '39 in primer. I loved mine that way but the devil made me paint it. :D Good luck with the project!

Attached Files:

8. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Looks like a smart purchase.

We just took a road trip in our 40,
    and I had forgotten how comfortable it was.
    It also handled the twisty turns great for a 70 year old car,
    I think the stock sway bar really helps.
    if you don't have one, find one,
    big difference.

TP

9. ibflyin

ibflyin
    from Tulsa, OK

Congratulations on your new acquisition! I just made a deal to buy a '39 coupe and will pick it up in a couple of weeks. I'll be watching your build-please keep us informed of your progress!

10. Nice looking project. Keep us posted.

11. b-bob

b-bob

I like the gray primer on the coupe Mike.

The frame has C.E. sway bars front and rear.I had a sedan years ago and it did like to lean in the corners. This should be better.

I went through the boxes of parts this afternoon and was happy to see so many good pieces for the car. Someone spent a few bucks at Drake's! Taking the old glass in tomorrow to get new glass cut, i am lucky to have the originals for patterns.

Will definitly keep you guys up to date, Brian

12. b-bob

b-bob

Been working on the coupe lately. Have the rear fenders straightened out and quarters in hi-build primer and since the pic was taken have the back half blocked out now.
    Taking time out now to put some patch panels in a 40 tudor to pay for my wide whites. I tell myself i am working on the coupe if i am buying parts with the money.
    Using Drakes patch panels on the tudor and the quality is great.
    Hope to get back on my coupe in a month, Next step is to start painting all the parts and door jambs and in the trunk etc.

[​IMG]

13. Custom300Madman

Custom300Madman
    from Houston

Really awesome project!

14. reefer

reefer

keep the updates flowing Bob, ...the `39 deluxe coupe was the best style and was never bettered.....I look at Hot Rod Mikes avatar and get a strong urge to go hunting again....good luck and take it easy with your back...been there ,done that, always going to be a weak spot.

15. b-bob

b-bob

Thanks guys, i'll report in when i get back on it. Meanwhile, i keep gathering parts.

16. Looks great, I hope to own a 39' some day. What a beautiful car!

17. Nice coupe!! gotta love the 39/40 coupes

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  18. genosslk

genosslk

Good for you! I just scored a '39 Deluxe Sedan. Tore it completely down in 12 hours with my wife as a tool handler. I'm lucky as the sedan has no body issues to deal with. I have one door ding in the driver's door about the sized of a dime..... that's it!
    Too bad we don't live closer, it would be fun to help each other out.

-7258914747BD9F7BB.png

100_5108.jpg

100_5087.JPG

100_5083.jpg

19. b-bob

b-bob

I finally finished my side project and the coupe was put back in the shop today.
    Will be getting back on it next week. First job is to remove the body and repaint the frame black.
    Here is a couple pics of the tudor i did and of course the coupe on it's way back where it belongs...in the shop!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have gathered a lot of parts in the last month, one thing i still need is the safety latch for the hood. Can anyone help? It is a 39 deluxe

20. b-bob

b-bob

A couple of small updates on the coupe, I have six friends coming over Thursday night to help me lift the body off and put it on my cart. Also dropped the stock seat off with an upholstery guy to build up the ends of the bottom cushion so i don't role off the seat going around corners. These old seats were like a muffin, high in the middle and tapered off on the sides and the front edge. Like sitting on a tall cushion.
    Once the body is off, i will dismantle the chassis and paint everything and put it back together again.

21. woodbox

woodbox

Keep up the good work.

22. b-bob

b-bob

Finished stripping down the frame today. Had to cut a notch into the front crossmember to make way for the stock Chevy fuel pump. Fits now so next will be to start sanding down the frame for a fresh coat of black.

23. desotot

desotot

now that I think about it, I neeed one.Love those 39 coupes.

24. b-bob

b-bob

Brought home my seat yesterday with fresh upholsty on it, guy did a great job. Heading outside now to spray that frame. Had a bit of a problem buying black paint! I guess with all this waterbourne stuff out there now, it will be harder to find.

Still gathering parts, still looking for an answer on whether this car had that panel on the inside of the windshield covering the wipers and hinges. Seems like some did and other models didn't. Maybe the standard model didn't?!

25. b-bob

b-bob

Have the frame and rear end and suspension painted black now, will start getting the front susp. and steering ready next. A lot of work just to change the colour but it will be worth it. Everything is new and never been drivin so it is at least clean other than a lot of dust.

Borrowed a header panel from a '37 Ford and it fits well, but there are no holes in the body to match up with the screw holes in the panel. My plan was to copy this metal panel and use it, but i am giving it second thoughts. The wiper is rebuilt and works well, so maybe i should just cover it up and leave it. Any thoughts?

I'll put up some pics of the frame when it is back together again.

26. b-bob

b-bob

OK, finally got a good heavy coat of tinted hi-build primer on the body. This will sit now for a while to dry/shrink for a few weeks.
    I will start the prep on the front fenders next after a break for a little operation on my back on Nov.21st. I am hoping not to be down for too many weeks though.
    I also have a couple of pics of the chassis before i took it apart and painted it all black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. b-bob

b-bob

And no, the car will not be red, i am just using up some hi-build from my last project.

28. tiquer

tiquer

Hey Brian hope you won`t be down to long , all the guys on the Canadian forum are rooting for you and a quick recovery.

29. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

love the 39s had a slant back twodoor sedan sold it in the 80s finished my coupe last winter w/40 delux nose great lines on these models.....

Attached Files:

30. b-bob

b-bob

Thanks Tiquer.

HR Chevy, Agreed, i like all the coupes whether it is a deluxe or standard , 39 or 40