Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest The Best Hot Rodder Nobody ever heard of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Larjk9, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Larjk9

Larjk9

I lost my Big Brother Tommy Cockrell Jr. This morning after a long, valiant battle with the Big C. I'm sure, like me, you all have a Teacher, Mentor, whatever you want to call them who has helped shape and guide your path in the world of mechanical glory. Tom was mine. He is wholly responsible for my love of the Hot Rod. He could make anything he touched, faster, badder, and cooler than it had a right to be. My favorite memories of my youth are of doing things like helping him build and put a 409 in his '52 F-1 or putting a 500 horse small block on the ass-end of a homemade airboat that took flight and swamped at Nanjemoy on it's maiden run.

I smile when I remember Him calling me on a Friday night to help tune up his wifes Blazer, and leaving Sunday night having pulled everything and installing an 850 horsepower 454 just to be funny. He told her he wanted her to break it in before putting the engine in his '37 Ford P/U. I owned a 2.3 liter Pinto in High School and popped a couple of pistons while street racing and had no cash for repairs. He came and took me to the junkyard and bought a used 428 Ford and tranny and said screw 4 bangers. two weeks later I had the baddest little car in the county. He had just finished a total resto on a '58 Belair when he got the news about his illness. He sold her and bought a brand new motorcycle. His excuse was the faster he went, the better his breathing.

The stories can go on and on. I miss him already and it's only been a few hours.

2. 94hoghead

94hoghead

So sorry to hear of your loss. He sounds like a great guy! We could all use a brother like that....

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

:( Sorry to hear about your loss. Condolences to all who knew him. :(

4. belair

belair

Sorry for your loss. My dad still loves his (88 year old) big brother. I'm glad you have such good memories. God bless.

5. brad chevy

brad chevy

Sorry for your loss. You were lucky to have such a friend,now you can pass on what he taught you to someone else.

6. SaltCoupe

SaltCoupe
    from Indiana

Sorry for your loss. He builds hot rods in a better place now. My condolances HAMB brother.

7. My thoughts and prayers are with you.....God Speed Tommy.

8. Very sorry for your loss - our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

9. thirdstreettito

thirdstreettito

I couldn't have said it better myself. :)

10. mexgrhd68

mexgrhd68
    from cen cal

sorry for ur loss, sounds like he was a hell of a hot rodder!!! :(

11. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

RIP Tommy
    Our prayers are with you and the family

12. hotdamn

hotdamn

sorry for your loss bro.

13. Larjk9

Larjk9

Thanks for the kind words Gang. I figured HAMBers would get what a difference people like Tom make in the big picture. I try to pass on the skills he passed to me. Don't have a Son, but got a pretty little Daughter. Maybe one of these young hoodlums that follow her home may get the spark.

14. 363Door

363Door

George, just read your tribute to your brother, glad you contacted me and sorry for your loss. I remember Tommy as being kinda "crazy and wild" in good way!

15. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

sorry for your loss

16. Larjk9

Larjk9

Thanks Fellas. Was reminded while reading another thread, about how important some people are in shaping who we become.

17. A Rodder

A Rodder

I am sorry for your loss. God bless you and your family.

18. Many condolences and hopefully your memories will provide some comfort with the loss of your brother. He must be smiling down also recounting the stories you two shared over the years.

19. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Very sorry for your loss, you are so lucky to have had such a wonderful brother. I can only wish I had a bro like that.

20. Those are some great stories, you should tell them often. Very sorry for your loss.

21. I went to page 11, because that's where the good posts are. This one is hard to accept. He sounds like a really great person. Be glad about the time you had with him. Hang in there.........

22. sorry for your loss...you two sure had it going on - remember the good times....

23. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

Sorry for your loss . Our prayers are with you and your family . We laost our daughter 18 month ago If you need to talk feel free to PM me .

24. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a hell of a guy. Cherish your memories with him.