Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do i determine cam specs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cornpatch, Aug 26, 2011.

1. cornpatch

cornpatch

I bought a 64 Fury that included several extra parts. Including a nice cam. Seller said he did not know exactly what it was , but may have been from Summit I took down the numbers on the back end of the cam and did a Summit search . No success on any of the numbers.

Is there a way to determin the cam specs such as lift, duration, overlap, etc? The cam is not installed....BTW this is for a big block Mopar.....................Any input is much appreciated................NO

2. cornpatch

cornpatch

I don't know how things work here, so I am bumping this in case it gets buried --never to be seen again :cool: .................................MO

3. cornpatch, why dont you post the numbers from the end of the cam. If you can measure across the lobe and subtract that from the base circle, that will give you the lift at the cam lobe. Then you need to multiply that by the rocker arm ratio, to get the lift at the valve, if you do that to both the intake and exhaust you might be able to find out what you have. TR

4. Another way to think of this is reverse the engineering. EXAMPLE- a popular Mopar BB cam has .509" lift intake and exhaust. Now I'm not certain of Mopar rocker arm ratio, but lets say its 1.5. So .509 divided by 1.5 is .339" of cam lobe lift. You measure 1.500" inches across the cam lobe, and you measure 1.161" on the base circle. Subtract these two and you have .339" This is your cam. Just remember, I am just using arbitrary numbers for the rocker arm ratio, cam base circle, and cam lobe. The cam lift at the valve spec of .509" really is a very popular Mopar cam grind. TR

5. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

If in the car, use a dial indicator and degree wheel to check lift and duration. Any article you google on how to degree a cam will have the basic how-to.

6. Thanks scotty, he said its not installed. So I just gave him a basic lift formula, not like its a 8000 different grind SBC cam, he should be able to I.D. a BB Mopar with the lift spec's. TR

7. cornpatch

cornpatch

Here are the end of cam numbers--topline:2434. second line which is upside down : 20118 ( last number may be a 9 )

center hole of cam

Bottom line: 64-44 and then off to the side at an angle is SR Could that be Summit Raceing? I couldn't find it in their search. Thanks for any help....................MO

8. cornpatch

cornpatch

Thanks folks for your comments. I haven't had much luck ID this cam. Guy at Summit made an effort, but i No success. From my measurements and formula I come up with .472 lift on intake and .485 lift on exhaust. Duration, overlap, and other specs unknown. From the lift specs it appears that it is in the 2000-6000Rpm rsnge. I am courious about the idle and other characteristics. ...ANY more thoughts?............................MO

9. squirrel

squirrel

K 6401 is .465, .488 lift and 224 234 degrees at .050 fits big block mopar

I have an old summit catalog page with their cams on it, from the late 90s? that I stuck in my old comp cams catalog. That's what it shows.

10. cornpatch

cornpatch

Thanks alot Squirrel, that is a good clue. I sent you an e-mail.....................MO

11. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Stroke indicator, degree wheel, v blocks and you could map a cam. Or do what I do, find a local cam grinder and take it to him. Tell him your thinking of having it reground. He will put it on his computer driven thing and make a map for you, which rells you what it could be ground to.

12. cornpatch

cornpatch

Thanks all, this is a great site for info. I think I have ID this cam with your help........................MO

13. Deuces

Deuces

I read an article once about "finger printing" camshafts... There might be some info on this subject floating around on the net.. I'll see what I can dig up....

14. computer driven thing = Cam Doctor >>>>.

15. If I were trying to do this and since I know Ken of Oregon cam grinders personally I would just walk in the shop and hand it to him. Since your not local you could call him at 360-256-7985. He's been doing cams for over 40 years. Custom grind, production grinds, stock grind, he does them all and on top of that a grate guy.
    The Wizzard