Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Belly Tank in Disneyland

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Aug 23, 2011.

1. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

2. Trashed & Hammered

Trashed & Hammered
    from HR,Oregon

That's funny..........Did you read post number 21?

3. kisam

kisam

Paul Wright "Irishpol" is on the HAMB (also the builder of El Gato) - maybe he will chime in? If it's the one he built, I think he went just under 200 MPH in it?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  4. kisam

kisam

5. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

wow, so it is the real deal.

6. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

This makes me wonder about the other vehicles in CA adventure. There is a flatbed truck in the hollywood backlot and in Disneyland there is a corn dog truck. I know the motorized cars ie; fire truck, double decker bus, and horseless carriages were all purpose built by WDI (Walt Disney Imagineering) but I am not sure about the others. It would be fun to know more info on all the vehicles, about their construction, and engine specs. I will email a guy I know who writes articles for a well known site (called miceage.com) in the Disneyland fan realm and see if he can provide info, photos and anything else he can dig up.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

7. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I do know that the mercedes benz cargo truck that is located in the indiana jones ride que line is the actual truck from raiders of the lost ark. If you go to disneyland check out the poles welded to the front bumper. They were there for the cameraman to hold on to while filming the chase scene. Here is pic of it. In the movie as well as in the park.

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

Attached Files:

8. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Know shit! Its awesum!

9. I'm going there next week wednesday with my little guy....I'll try to take some more pics if I see anything interesting.

10. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

only we could go do disneyland and come back with a hotrod story. haha, i was just as impressed with the fly and buy shop as i was with the rides. theres restraunt with a whole bunch of old plane parts in it to, it pretty awesome. havent went in about two years.

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Disneyland was a real cool job. I was a sweeper there in 73/4/5.
    Grate, just Grate, my grill is made from a great.
    herfterderrrrrrrrrrrrrr

12. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Czuch,

Did you happen to work with Tony Baxter? He was a skipper on the Jungle Cruise.

do you have any photos during your time there? any back stage stories that you want to share???

here is a picture of Tony Baxter

Attached Files:

13. i sat and stared at that thing for about 20 minutes. my girlfriend was not impressed.

14. VonKool13

VonKool13

Disney also has a Woody Merc they use at CA adventure to pull around a live band down the street. Outside that "speed" shop is a Hollley 94 carb bolted to an oil drum. When that belly tank was on the ground I noticed it had a full flathead in it. I would bet it's still in there.

15. want!

16. cavemag

cavemag

I gave the family an excuse to go into the place to "shop." All I did was stare at the thing for 15 minutes. I also tried to walk past that place as much as possible.

17. Lild

Lild

When we went out there me and my car guy son were in that building for a long time just checkin everything out. That was a good experience for us

18. E Burfield

E Burfield

About five or six years ago I was at the riverside modle T club swapmeet. On the ground was a canapoy and some other parts off of a lakester. The guy sad there were off of the car at Disneyland. He said they bought the lakester which was a modern car and took it apart and made what you see today. I was dreaming of building a lakester so I bought the parts and there sitting in my shop as of today.

19. Are you building it?! Pictures? Even of just the parts?:)

20. E Burfield

E Burfield

If you click on the link in post #34 those are the parts that I have with all the stickers an stuff still on them. I don't have a way to take pic's as of now.

21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's not Tony Baxter. That's Keifer Sutherland when he PLAYED Tony.

22. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

I heard that Disney is having a contest for anyone who has a photo of him as a skipper on tge Jungle cruise. If you have one you will send it to disney and the winner will get to be Tony's guest for the opening to cars land in 2012. I will get the link to the info and post it in a few minutes

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

23. I checked out the bellytank two days ago....it was pretty sweet. Was hard to believe that it was a replica. I asked an old timer working that store and he said it's a. Replica of a car that was built/raced? By Carillo, carillio? I forget the name....

24. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Correction.. it was not Tony Baxter it was John Lasseter.

[​IMG]

Here is the link to the contest:

http://www.showbizjunkies.com/celebrities/disney-cars-land-contest/

Did you visit Disneyland sometime between late 1977 and the spring of 1978? Did you happen to snap a photo of a Jungle Cruise skipper? If you did, and if the skipper happens to be John Lasseter – current Chief Creative Officer at Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios and Principal Creative Advisor for Walt Disney Imagineering – you could win a trip for four to Disney California Adventure next summer.

Talk about a tough contest…

Here’s the scoop from Disney: “Recently, a search for a photo of John skippering the Jungle Cruise came up empty. Surely there must be a photo of Skipper John somewhere? To find one, we have created a contest: the first person to submit a verifiable photo of John as the skipper of the Jungle Cruise from 1977 will win a trip for 4 to the grand opening of Cars Land at Disney California Adventure in summer 2012, and a ride on the Jungle Cruise skippered by none other than John himself! What better way to turn a Disney memory of old into a Disney memory of today?

Sure, it’s like searching for a needle in a haystack but the prize is worth the effort of at least looking through old photographs to see if you somehow have a picture of Lasseter at the helm of a Jungle Cruise boat.

For more details on the contest, visit Johnofthejungle.com.

25. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

26. Here's two snapshots I took of it back in December of 2004:

California Adventure - Fly 'N Buy Souvenirs.jpg
    California Adventure Lakester.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  27. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Awesome! Thanks. I will be leaving sunday to make my yearly pilgrimage to land of the mouse. I will try to take detailed photos. Wonder if there is an engine still inside...

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

28. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

29. I saw that thing some years ago took my grankids. I too spent a lot of time staring at it.