Register now to get rid of these ads!

When You're Taking Pictures, Don't Do This...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by monsterflake, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed

There's a few fellows on here that embellish their photographs with some weird colorizations, angles, and other nonsense. If I want to see that stuff, I'll find an "Art" forum. I like hotrods and customs. The cars speak for themselves, and don't need any help from well-meaning shutter clickers.

2. Griznant

Griznant

"There's only two things I can't stand. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures. And the Dutch."

;)

3. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Photography is a technology, a craft, a profession, an art -- all of those things. THERE IS ALWAYS ROOM FOR CREATIVITY.:) But, the basic rule of thumb is: If WHATEVER you try WORKS, it's good.;) If it DOESN'T work (you have to honestly critique your own stuff here!), then abandon that technique.:(

And if you like what you're doing and aren't trying to please anybody but yourself, well, go ahead and please yourself.:rolleyes: Just don't expect broad acceptance. (Yes, these are my observations, but I edited photos for publication for 25 years.)

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I generally agree. But sometimes I compensate for crowds by using wide glass. You have to get so close to the car to see the whole thing, you have to go wide to get it all in. Unless it's a portrait, people in car pictures is one of my pet peeves.

5. Bad Daddy

Bad Daddy

It could be worse. They could be posting pics of the ground because the camera went off as they were fiddling around with the settings. . .

[​IMG]

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Damn those crazy Dutch :D

Better to be subjected to a "dutch angle" treatment then being the subject of a "dutch oven" treatment.

7. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

"Not to be tellin' any family secrets here, but my grandmother
    was Dutch!" :D -- Cleavon Little, "Blazing Saddles"

8. Clevername

Clevername

"ha , ill stop being such a hack , what was i thinking?
    Better straighten up and fly right."

-Yep, once you learn to hold that camera straight those pics are gonna look really good.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Learning curve for sure! Amateur photography is hard if ya don't know anyone or any of ur buttons like me! Always wanted to take a class at the local collage cut it lands during fall harvest! I have takin a shitload of angle pics and one of 20 has a decent angle on it. It's tricky for a newb like myself!
    This last pic was taking by someone at the pileup! They caught my angle perfectly I think! ;)
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's what I consider the worst offender.

[​IMG]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

That's justifyable in that instance.;)
    It's called an "establishing shot." :)

12. bryan6902

bryan6902

If those shots appeared consecutively, I would puke!! 2 things....

#1 Post GOOD pictures of topical cars and trucks!! Nothing worse than looking at Mustangs, Camaros and other micellaneous cars and/or junk!

#2 Learn how to post photos!! Fit to screen PLEASE!! Would rather have a link to your photbucket than a bunch of postage stamp thumbnails or XXXXXL images.

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, like taking a pic at the pileup when it was I'n morris! Ya bout had to jump up to take pics!

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

IMHO none of those shots are better for being crooked. nice shots, but the angle takes away rather than enhances the image.

the wierd oversaturation of color some people seem to be into these days is an annoyance of mine. the crooked thing is only slightly annoying.

funny thing... unless I think about it while I am shooting my pictures my pics seem to lean to one side, not the extreme like the ones shown, just a couple of degreees. a while back I was scanning some old negatives my Mom and Dad took at Yosemite in the 50's, and all my Dads pictures were leaning the same way. must be in my genes.

...maybe the extreme angles shown above are some genetic disorder.

15. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

i know i know

"beating my head up aginst a brick wall now"

16. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Kevin, ABSOLUTELY. And the damnedest thing about it is: With some work, this could actually work!:cool: "Chrysler" isn't horizontal, and the woodie isn't framed to advantage in the field of the cap. The photog should have expended a few more frames, worked the "shoot-to-USE" ratio, and left THIS frame on the darkroom floor, so to speak.

17. Brahm

Brahm

I don't mind the angles, I think the blown out whites and general lack of composition in alot of shots I see is more of an issue to. The biggest issue I have w/most of the photos i see is the UTTER ABUSE of photoshop. I've seen some of the HACKEST crap being sold as "photos" at events this year, just as bad as anything you see posted online. Don't get me wrong I've been known to use a mild effect here or to at TIMES, but you need to keep it subtle. My current pet peeve HDR abuse..but that's another topic, for another forum.

As far as angles go if you are shooting at a car show and can't set the stage sometimes you have to do, what you have to do if you want to isolate a specific car in a photo.

In terms of wide angles.. there is a time and a place there is nothing wrong with exaggerating some sexy lines a little more if done correctly. Not every shot needs be @ 50mm w/a 1.0 crop factor.

18. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Nothing better to bitch about today?

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hubcap shots are fun. it is hard to get a good one... I had one printed in the HAMB Calender.

[​IMG]

20. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

i like you marvin

21. How about some middle ground? I hate the angeled shots myself and have spoken to this before. Here might be something more constructive to those guys who would become better photogs.
    The Angled shots would be better if only used to provide a break in the action. Use Andy Southard and Rickman, Barris and Coonan as examples of great automotive photography and take some advice from their work....The "Angle" is a tool that can be used, but used to often, it quickly becomes a "gimic" and looks amateurish. People have been taking pics of cars for a very long time...when a thread like this comes up...listen to criticism...and learn from it.

22. Da na na na na na na na

Da na na na na na na na

[​IMG]

... just watch an old episode and you'll see what I mean :)

23. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

OK - I'll jump in too. Concentrate on the car, not the 'ART'

24. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

Your eye will accept things in person that don't look right on paper. That's one of the things to learn about taking photos.

25. 117harv

117harv

I see alot of pics here in albums, avatars and posted, with 60 feet of asphalt or grass in the foreground. Pics of rides so far back i think the ride isn't even the subject:cool: You don't have to get the whole car in the pic every time. I'm a fan of the 3/4 view myself, it gives a great perspective of the ride overall. Oh and lets not forget the pic takers feet in the bottom of the photo:eek::cool::)

The rear wheel and engine pic in breeders post on the previous page is a GREAT one!:)

26. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I just put a beer can under one side of my laptop and they all appear to be fine.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I never understood the funky angle crap. A couple pics okay, but when I see the whole thread is cockeyed pictures of junk, I just click out of thread.

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so here we are discussing angled photos, so I head over to my artsy fartsy photo section of my HAMB user profile to see if I have any angled pics in my stash and I come up with the one below.

as I am coming back here to post it with witty commentary I notice iammarvin has the same car in his avatar (post 48)

I like this one.

[​IMG]

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I just Put about 12.beers I'n my belly then I don't give a shit! Try it sometime!;)