Register now to get rid of these ads!

rare shifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Aug 30, 2011.

1. doctorZ

doctorZ

i found a thread on here a while back that showed a 3-lever shifter for i think a 350 trans. it was out of some 1980's car if my memory serves me right. does anybody have any idea what they were called or were out of? i've been searching and searching and coming up with diddly-squat.

2. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Do you mean a Hurst Lightning Rods Triple Shifter

3. eberhama

eberhama

found in '83/'84 Hurst/Olds Cutlass'. They're big money to the cutlass guys. Those cars had a 200R4.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Big money to the Cutlass guys? BIG MONEY PERIOD. It's ridiculous for something so hokey looking (JMHO). I guess they were going for the Lenco shifter look. Even the price of the Hurst Dual Gate/His and Her shifter, is out of sight. Time for Hurst to do some retooling and make a few runs of each. Hello Hurst..............................................are you listening? Butch/56sedandelivery.

5. "Olds" Hurst Lightning Rods came in the cars from the factory and installed in a console with a unique bracket.

Hurst also made aftermarket Lightning Rods shifters that were universal. They run around $1000 for unmolested sets usually....

Pretty easy to use once you get used to them and pretty hard to miss a gear... lol

6. Would love to have a set for my O/T Cutlass. Talked to the Hurst guys when I saw them in Louisville a few weeks ago. They don't even offer the rebuild service for lightning rods like they used to and have no plans to ever make them again.

feel free to P/M me if anyone has a set for the 200R4 for sale.

7. FORD3W

FORD3W
    from australia

I Scored a unused set still in the original box a few years ago. These things are cool as.
    People look in the car and scratch there head and say wtf followed by how/why

8. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

running one in my truck. my understanding is that there are two different ones. one for a 200r4 and one for a t350. the one for the t350 has a reverse lock out lever deal. I love mine, but its a pain at times

9. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

You could buy them from Hurst for other applications . My buddy Mark loved them , but I didn't take much of a shining to them personally .

10. hozem396

hozem396
    from ohio

I thought the lightning rods were a bit hokey when I saw them. I tried to test drive a Hurst Olds in 1984 but the salesman said test drives were only for those that were "serious buyers" and every dealer only got one. I asked why there were two on the lot (one in front & one in back). I found out the other one was being driven as a demo by the new car manager. Guess they saved me the hassle of figuring out the shifter thing.

11. butti

butti

I had two of these cars. both t-top cars. Shifter was really just a gimmick. Wonderfull car to drive like all gn,442,monte's were but def not fast by muscle car standards..