Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mo-Kan has lost a true friend and ally

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by MoKanMan, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Greg Martin has done more for Mo-Kan Dragway and our community of racers than any of you will ever know. Greg was not a racer and although he did come to the track on rare occasion, he was not a race fan.

Gregg Daniel Martin, 49, of rural Pittsburg, Kansas passed away Friday afternoon, August 26, 2011 in an automobile accident about three miles north of the track.

Greg Martin was a lawyer, he was also a farmer and he practiced both crafts in the Asbury / Opolis area around Mo-Kan. When the Bill Beal lawsuit surfaced in 2000, someone put me in touch with Greg, and for the next four years Greg worked that case hard. And he did it at about half of what most lawyers would have charged. If he had not, I am sure we would have not survived Beal's predatory lawsuit.

Greg made a map of the area surrounding the track, and in the summer of 2002, we went door to door and talked to the neighbors about Mo-Kan. They didn't know me, but they all knew, trusted and respected Greg.

Of course with Greg as our commander and chief, we won our just battle against Beal.

But that suit had no more than ended when another legal threat came to Mo-Kan in the form of a BS lawsuit from a racer. Most of you never knew about that one, but again Greg came to our defense. It was every bit as big a threat as the Beal suit. This time it took five years to win a decision in our favor, and again Greg Martin was there every step of the way.

There were many other times that Greg lent a legal hand to Mo-Kan. Questions big and small, Greg took my calls, many times from the cab of a tractor as he worked the fields.

Often when I met with Greg it was early morning or late evening, He came to his office near the family farm in work clothes as he prepared for or had just come from a day of labor on the land. Greg had the credentials and the knowledge to practice law anywhere, and he had worked for a large firm in Kansas City in the early years, but he came home to Asbury to work the family farm and open a practice there.

He was not impressed with the "advertizing lawyers" who fish for personal injury cases. And I can say having dealt with several lawyers in Joplin who were nothing more than crooks, Greg was ashamed for them.

Greg had personal convictions that were of the highest standard, but he would not judge a person, he would tell you what he believed was right, and he would fight for that belief.

Someone once said the best index to a persons character is how he treats someone who can't do him any good and who can't fight back. Greg passed that test on a daily basis.

I am sure I join with the rest of our Mo-Kan family in wishing the Martin family our sincere condolences. We have lost a great man. Rest in peace Greg Martin.

A link to the obituariy in the Pittsburg paper.
    http://www.morningsun.net/obituaries/x1654949995/Gregg-Daniel-Martin

2. tlundberg

tlundberg
    from Arma Ks

I attended school with Gregg and can attest to everything just said. A true friend and silent leader. He was also the Municipal Court Judge of Frontenac Ks for many years. He will be missed.

Lundy

3. Very sorry to hear this news. I never met Greg, but I sure appreciate the work he did for Mokan. Rest in peace.

4. Sad news indeed. Condolences to his family. Carl, sorry for the the loss of a friend.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm very sorry to hear that. I remember when he saved Mo-Kan Dragway right around the first HAMB Drags in '03.

Please holler if we can be of any help. -Abone.

6. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

From everything you wrote Carl I can tell he was a lot more than a leagl representative to you. Tough stuff loosing a friend. Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and extended family. I am an Okie farm boy and small communities are pretty close knit , the loss of someone like Greg hurts deep.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  7. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Sorry to hear that Carl sounds like he was a good guy..Sadly those seem to be the ones called away too soon in my experiences in life!

8. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

Very sad to hear, my condolences go out to the family and friends.

9. ryno

ryno

sorry to hear carl, if theres anything us local hamber's can do call me!

10. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sorry to hear that. Prayers for his family and friends.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

My condolences to you Carl, his family and many legions of friends.

12. I'm so sorry for you, his family, and all who knew him. Our thoughts and prayers go out to you all.

13. oldsman71

oldsman71

so sorry to hear this!! prayers for his family and friends, cobey

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

Good people like Gregg Martin are so hard to replace and their passing leaves a void that is often never filled.My condolences to his family and to you.

15. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Prayers to you and his family..............Gregg, Rest In Peace...

16. storm king

storm king

Sorry to hear of this, Carl. Godspeed, Gregg.