Register now to get rid of these ads!

...a GOOD car show story...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DR JAY, Aug 29, 2011.

1. DR JAY

DR JAY

Yesterday my new girlfriend and her 11 year old son came with me to my old hometown to attend the annual town fair and massive car show. It was his 1st car show and he was in awe of all the shiny iron. (NO flat black cars with skulls- a NICE change !) A hobby of mine is to build scale model replicas of vintage stock cars and classics, so detail photography became another hobby of mine. As we walked around looking and snapping obscure pictures of gauge panels, wiring harnesses, etc. it became obvious that I not only won the kid over but that he was also VERY interested in anything that interested me. I convinced his mom to fork over her camera and let the boy walk around on his own and take pictures of cars HE liked to show me later.
    We hung back quite a way and followed him around. The cool part of this story was that EVERY owner who was by their car took time to answer his questions and talk to him like a car guy...not some nuisance kid who might scratch their rides. He even followed my example and asked an elderly fellow to take a couple of bags out of a 57 Merc so he could get a clear interior shot. he gladly obliged the boy without hesitation.
    I'm glad that his 1st car show experience was that good! There was no hassles from guys who thought he was getting too close, no attitude in their conversations with him and nobody brushed him off as a pain in the ass...He wants to come with me to more shows and maybe even a stock car race or the drag strip. I believe the experience has created another car guy in young Mitchell that might have been squashed had he been exposed to any of the car-show drama I have seen myself in the past. NOTE....!!! Later in this thread I have put up a couple of his pictures- sorry they're late, but he misplaced the camera and only found it thursday night !

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. hoop

hoop

That is great to hear.

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Its cool to stick the bug in someone young. From what I've seen, a kid acting respectfull and INTERESTED in cars will be treated well, one acting like a hooligan will be chastised.
    Keep him goin!

4. rebelrat

rebelrat

Sounds like his mum has done a good job

5. monkeywrenching

monkeywrenching
    from maryland

Very nice story, good luck

6. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Outstanding!.....it should be the norm. Great story.

7. This is a refreshing thread! You sparked TWO interests in the kids, good job!

8. Mayor of G-Vegas

Mayor of G-Vegas

9. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Way to go. You likely just changed his perspective and life for good! If you start a project with him now, it will be done by the time he gets his license... :)

10. Pharouh

Pharouh

Uh oh, You may have started something. Another car freak!
    Congratulations!

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

awesome! I'm waiting until my newphew is old enough to take to a show so I can do the same. Until then I keep bringing him hotwheels to help get him started

12. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Sounds like the boy is well-behaved, and people repect that. Problem is when kids that are not well behaved are running around like idiots not respecting people's property. Sounds like he understands how to act.

13. oldpaint

oldpaint

I've had a couple of cool kids ask questions and take pictures. One even wanted my ugly mug next to the car. He showed me the pic on his DS and explained how it worked. You can learn alot from us old guys, but we can also learn from the kids.

I think we are seeing a whole new crop of hot rodders, a good thing.

14. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

You get what you give and this kid sounds like he has the right stuff. Too many times we have all seen kids that just plain were not raised with good manners. Good luck to him and bring on the next generation!LB

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

pitchurs pleeze.
    Always good to get an interest with the interests kid.
    Good for all of you.

16. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

The key to this is that it all depends on how the child acts and how his Parents monitor his behavior and teach him or her how to respect others and their property. Your new GF sounds like she is doing a good job raising her Son. :)

We went to a little downtown show Saturday night and a couple of Moms were walking through with about 5 small kids. Those kids were touching every car in sight and the Moms were oblivious to it all. Yeah, fingerprints do wipe off, but scratches from belt buckles don't.

Conversely, the same night I went to a local Target and took my roadster. As I was loading my packages a man walked up and said very politely "Do you mind if my Son takes a picture of your car." (the Boy was about 10 or 11) I said "Why doesn't he sit in it and you can take his picture?" They both looked shocked and the kid was thrilled to actually get to sit in it. I told him I have been into these things since I was his age, and hope I see him driving his own hot rod some day.

I really don't mind when someone has raised their children to be respectful, but hate it when I see Parents who think their little darlings should be able to do anything they want with no guidance. Then they wonder why when the kid turns 16 they have no control. :rolleyes:

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Perfect example, my neighbor kid golfing in the front yard with a ball bat. I can see it coming.:rolleyes:

18. GrizzGang

GrizzGang
    from D/FW

Either way if the kid likes you mom might come around to if you know what I mean. Thats like killing two birds with one stone. A new addition to the automotive world and maybe a female friend for yourself.

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like Tman said...refreshing to hear. Unlike the thread a few weeks ago about the guy that swore up and down at some kid.

Glad the three of you had a good time. Congrats on ruining the bo...I mean...being such a good influence on the boy. lol

20. DR JAY

DR JAY

Yeah-mom had to be both parents and she did great....it was actually HER that gave him the final instructions before he went his own way; " Remember- don't touch anything or lean on anything! These aren't yours!"
    I'm going to her place for dinner tonight, so I'll bring my laptop and load up some of his pictures to show you guys...you're right--I think I ruined the boy with cars! Now I have to keep my motorcycle hidden from him or his mom will likely take a " little off the top" when I'm sleeping....

21. Matthyj

Matthyj
    from Missouri

Great story, as a father, scout leader and rodder (not always in that order) I really respect it, your building memories that will last a lifetime, we all remember the rods when we where kids. Alot of people get a kick out of seeing my blown SBC Deuce roadster with a booster seat in it (my boys 9 and daughter is 5), they are our future, start 'em early as it makes it easier on us later (Especially on getting long hours in the shop and buying parts when its a FAMILY ACTIVITY). I have a virgin 392 Hemi saved back for my sons first build we will do together hopefully some day. Matthyj

22. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Very cool, now someone needs to give him a ride in a hot rod and he will be hooked for life.
    Looking forward to seeing his pictures.

23. So...the question is.....

Where's the picture's of the car's he liked??

24. That's one lucky boy! Having someone to mentor him along the way. My father did such things for me and I carry them to this day.....
    He won't forget it.

25. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

i want pictures PLEASE.