Register now to get rid of these ads!

hotroders lost in the war

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28 jalopy, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I was talking to my pops tonight and he was telling me about some cool young hotroders that he knew and lost in Veatnam. It makes me wonder what the hotrod world would have been like if most of them made it back. It could have been any war if you think about it. What would it be like if Alex from SO-CAL SPEED shop did'nt make it back. I'm sure some of you have been in the same shoes as my pops and knew someone that was a great hotroder that was lost.

2. The bean counters can add up the price of a war in Dollars, Euros, Pounds, Pesos, and Yen. Ammo, arms, payrolls, death payments and VA benefits, the numbers can be found and tallied up. But no one can add up the cost of the social contributions that never came to be. Families well raised, scientific discoveries unfound, literature unwritten, and yes, even hot rods unbuilt.

I was on line in Viet Nam for two years. That was long ago. But I am still haunted by the ghosts of men I knew and the potential lost. We make do without them, forever ignorant of what they might have done.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus

Well said Bib Overalls, My Dad went to Vietnam and made it back. He drove a 413 Wedge. I went to Vietnam after he returned. Before going, I put my Muscle car on blocks, told my younger brother to start it once a week and let her run until she got up to temperatue. Told him if I didn't make it back the car was his.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was in Viet Nam in 1968 and met a lot of guys who were rodders or racers during the time I was there. Usually a rod magazine of some sort in your hand or theirs was a conversation starter followed by photos of the cars being pulled out and stories exchanged. I'd have to agree that we lost a lot of guys who could have contributed to the hot rod world over there and no doubt we have lost many in the middle east the past several years.

5. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Just about all the men in my family served but I was never able to due to back problems, But I just want to say "thank you" to all who put their lives on the line for others and welcome back brothers! Happy hotroding!

6. cheveey57

cheveey57

Hot rodders or not it's a great lose when ANY of our brothers are lost at war.
    Semper Fi

7. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

I truly am sorry if I offended anyone by segragating ones who passed in war via rodders or anyone else! I was just thinking of one aspect of the his fellow car guy.

8. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Viet Nam 1968, persian gulf 1988, persian gulf war 1990, I don't think you have offended anyone

9. toml24

toml24

When I saw the Viet Nam Wall Memorial in Washingtion a few years ago photos of KIA GIs had been placed on the ground and I remember a color image of a young man with his late model 1960s Chevy Corvette and his buddies. Forever young. Very powerful. Very emotional.

10. k9racer

k9racer

when wall was first displayed 57,709 then revised 58,044 now 58,100 plus.. My SEA time 66/67/68. George Hurst {hurst shifters} who was a navy veteran send a little racing news letter to those in country.. I enjoyed mine very much.. I wish I would have saved them.. I do have a DD214 and a DD256 hanging on my office wall.. Bobby..

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  11. coolmilitary

coolmilitary
    from So Cal

When I was in the Navy. I always seemed to know who the Hot Rodders where. I was lucky enough to be stationed in Hawaii. I was able to bring my car back over after I got out.
    We lost a whole crew when one of our planes went into the side of a mountain in the fog. You never forget that.

12. Muttley

Muttley

Heres the decal you received when you joined the Hurst Defenders Club:

[​IMG]

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This Hurst idea is SO cool! Wonder what a HAMB defenders decal might look like? All right all you artists, get to it! Gary

14. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Your right Gary! The H.A.M.B. needs one of our own!

15. 31AirborneCoupe

31AirborneCoupe

I concur. Currently in Iraq. I'd display it proudly.

16. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

To all of you veterans and those of you who are currently in our military: Your service is truly appreciated and the sacrifices of your comrades who didn't come home will never be forgotten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

I kinda want one of these for my A holy shit thats cool!!!! I had a Gunny that knew someone at BAER Brakes and they sent over a box of thousands of old back issues of hot rod and car craft from 2001-on for me to read and distribute in Iraq and I'll never forget that...it was like freaking christmas to me and the boys!!! Semper Fi brothers

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

{Sorry deleted}

Doc.

19. Thanks Muttley...Never knew they had these from Hurst.Ya learn the dangdest stuff on the HAMB.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Vietnam never should have happened. While I wasn't old enough for the war itself, I saw the effects of it here at home and remember how people didn't talk about for years. And we shouldn't be in the middle east right now. The troops should be home.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bump. Where are all our gaul-danged artists? Gary

22. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

heres a two-minute copy and paste job i'm an ink and lead guy and some paint I'll save this for the computer guys! but its worth a shot....:D

Attached Files:

23. 94hoghead

94hoghead

X2.....There is no way to tell you how much it means to us. Its beyond words.....

24. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Son don't get me started, maybe it shouldn't of happened but back then if you were not in college or had a family with bucks, you got an invite and you went, it was your duty.
    Did I want to go? Hell no, but I did cause it was the right thing to do.
    When I visit that black wall in DC I can show you some close friends in arms that are on there, tell their families that it shouldn't have happened.
    All these years comment's like yours still tick me off.
    In my opinion and this is just mine , if you were not there and did not go thru it and I did serve for your right to say what you want just do me a favor and shut the fuck up!

Sorry, rant over

25. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

First, I did mention that I wasn't old enough at the time but I did mention I saw the effects of Vietnam. Family members and friends of family members who got drafted. My Uncle lost a leg in the 2nd war. All I am saying is that it never should have happened. Vietnam wasn't for my rights or anyones rights here in the U.S. that is pure propaganda so the pubic would support the war. Same thing is going on in the middle east today. Our rights are eroding away. What my uncles and Father fought against during the 2nd war is now upon us. Homeland Security, just the name alone brings Nazi Germany to mind. Since 9/11, there have been many laws that have been enacted because the Government tells us that it knows what is best for us. They are just suppressing our rights and the public buys into it. The last war that we had a right to fight was World War 2. I am sad for all those who gave their lives, not for our country, but for their Governments agendas which has nothing to do with our freedom or betterment of our country. I love the U.S. but not those who run it.

26. Very well said and much kinder than i would of been
    Welcome home
    1969-1970 I core
    For some the rant is never over.

27. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

Amen biggeorge and chaos10meter! For fellas like myself the rant has just begun its my generations Vietnam a war the public doesn't support...I'm right there with you fellas tell some of my friends we are there for oil and you'll see a one arm man fight ya to the death or tell a family government agenda is why their son is no longer here..I guess our government supplied the mujadeen with heroin and pcp to make them better warriors against us in fallujah too...end of my rant

28. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I don't agree with everything that has happened or is now happening but I fought for this country.
    Why ? They asked me to.

What do you think happened on 9/11!

I am sad for all those who gave their lives, not for our country, but for their Governments agendas which has nothing to do with our freedom or betterment of our country.

No matter what the conflict is, do not be mislead, people die for this country, our way of life and for the rights of people like you , not having any fucking clue what war is like, to spout off.

Another great thing about our country is that if you don't like it you have the right to leave any time you like and go someplace else more to your liking.

Oh and as you put it, what have you done lately "For our freedom or betterment of our country" ?
    Just wondering.

29. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Jar heads are good folk.

30. deto

deto

don't let it get too heated... moderators will kill this thread. This is a good one so lets keep it going...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.