Register now to get rid of these ads!

For all the brothers in Irenes path.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blades, Aug 26, 2011.

1. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

we lost power at 630 am. generator is running strong. its absolutely downpouring and we're expecting 65mph gusts. its really quite impressive. i woke up to the sound of trees snapping around us. bad news is: Jose just formed in the atlantic within the last hour and now they dnt know where thats heading. goo dnews is that we're holding our own and we're ready for irene to move along :) so far the garage is safe

2. gary terhaar

gary terhaar
    from oakdale ny

Still got power,at 5am we had a good squall blow through and lost a branch 3 feet in dia 20 feet long snap and punch a hole in the roof on the house.I walked across the street to see where the river was at.The boats that were left in are higher than the back yards,High tide is in two hours.For the most part i have seen worse for shure,but the water is a coming.
    she got her pound of flesh now its time for her to move on.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. csimonds

csimonds

Power went out at around 4am here in Norwich, ct, woke up at 5 sweatin my ass off. 7:30am the power came back on,made some breakfast and a much needed pot of coffee. Power went back out at 8:30 and now they are saying it could take days to come back on..... so far the storm is still off the coast which is 19 miles from me...... knock on wood the portable garage is hanging on like a troopa!
    CHUCK

5. Power still on here in NJ thank goodness. Ground water seeping in the basement pretty fast and going to spend all day shopvacing up water. Can't seem to keep up and taking a break after the first 100 gallons. This is futile...

6. Taking Respect

Taking Respect
    from New Jersey

here in edison nj we got non stop heavy rains for hours. A lot of flooding and down trees. Not as bad as it could be. I have my 53 ford in my buddys garage in jamesburg nj... 2 ft of water in his backyard plus he lives down hill from a lake. The damn is craking and he is under mandatory evacution. He has at least 12 cars in the path of the damn. Really hoping it holds for him, me, and last but not least his girl who is pregnant and due yesterday (seriously)

7. maniac

maniac

Haven't lost power here outside of Danbury (yet) lots of rain though, hope everybody else gets by without too much difficulty.

I think (hope) the worst is over.

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

a dam here in CT is about ready to break. Preston Dam

9. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Hope your new house made it through, that would suck seeing it damaged or destroyed after just buying it. Got a good friend in Camden and others in the Portsmouth/Suffolk area of Virginia. Haven't been able to reach them so I can just hope they made it through okay.

10. joel torres

joel torres

nothing big here lost power for two minutes drove around and seen some trees down but thats it

11. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Thanks for all the well wishes. We didn't lose power, but, 1/2 of town did. No major tree down for me or the neighbors, but, our road is blocked further down by trees and wires. Had a fire call at my department at 5:30. Had to take the boat from the firehouse to the call, RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE of the main road in town. My younger sister had a tree down blocking her driveway and her neighbors' tree fell on his neighbor's car after it cracked in half. Gonna be a lot of clean up!

12. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Reporting from Jamison's Bar in Pemberton, NJ via wifi :D

The power went out at home @ 1:47 am.

House, shop, yard, and the animals are fine. Just leaves and twigs down.

Most traffic lights are out in my area.

Carry on ;)

13. We made thru ok. I small leak in the shop; roofer is coming tomorrow. Power lost for a min this AM. The cars are all fine. Phew that was close! Just a mess of leaves and some small branches down. Thank the Lord

14. umassjj

umassjj
    from MA

We've been through much, much worse here in New England. Glad it wasn't devastating, but the hype machine is unreal these days.

15. flypa38

flypa38

We fared pretty well in my neighborhood (Virginia Beach) from what I hear. Haven't made it back yet, but neighbors called and said we lost a shingle on the roof.
    Hope everyone still in the path has the same luck as we did!

16. 29 Whippet

29 Whippet

Two daughters lost power, mine is still OK. Lots of tree damage (some down), little property damage. Tail end coming through now. Dodged a bullet so far.

17. thesupersized

thesupersized

we didnt get it too bad here, a little water in the basement, and the garage where my ford is at got like 3 inches throughout the whole garage...which kinda sucks, but couldve been worse.

18. rld14

rld14

Didnt lose power but did lose Internet and cable but it could have been much worse. Few trees down, power out all over the place... Tenafly, Bergenfield, Paramus have lots of sporadic outages. It's been windy again last hour or two. Hackensack has a lot of flooding near river road. Drove through Demarest and the duck pond/stream downtown was flooded, it's receeded but was over the road. I think we got very very lucky, could have been MUCH worse.

19. MP&C

MP&C

Well count our blessings, we lost a few tree limbs, have a yard full of Oak leaves, and that's about it. We had three tubs filled with water, a generator for the fridges, and even stretched a cord nest door as the neighbors battery back up sump pump failed.

Here's a before-hand video, out in the back yard. At this point the eye was still in NC, or a good 200 miles away from us. With all those Oaks twisting and swaying, it's a wonder a few of those didn't snap.

click on pic for video link
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the many trees that fell across the roadway. Most of the roads were impassible due to fallen trees last night...

[​IMG]

And two large oaks across a neighbors driveway

[​IMG]

The flooding that came with it....these are Sunday morning about 10 am, the eye was located just SE of NYC about that time. We got about 10 inches of rain in under 24 hours..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This sign was gone about three hours later. Not enough sandbags?

[​IMG]

This was about 2' higher than the flooding last October, location is about one mile from the house. Glad we're at the top of the hill! And you can always count on a nice blue sky afterwards..

[​IMG]

20. Didn't lose any power here 12 miles west of NYC. Some basement water at home, a lot of trees over and some still falling, but all told it was not as bad as it could have been.
    Most police / fire dept. calls are for flooded basements and wires down. The Passaic River is higher than I've ever seen it before, but it is nothing at all like the people in the Mid-West have had recently. Not even close, thank God!

21. here on the border with new hampsire all we got was a lot of rain. no wind at all. lots of flash flooding around. heard on the news a dam in campton, n.h. breached forcing a lot of people to evacuate. sky is starting to lighten up as well as the rain.

22. slick a&t

slick a&t

Woke up at 4:30 this morning to a limb falling and pouring rain.Then at 5:30 a tree decided to fall on my sisters car.Fun stuff.LOL.Then at 10:30 another tree decided to fall(with a little help.HaHa) onto the condo unit next door.The most important thing is no one was injured.Stay safe everyone.I usually love a good storm,but I'm glad Irene's gone.GOODNIGHT IRENE.

23. I faired pretty well.. just some minor water damage in my basement-some in my neighboor hood not so lucky...it was a very long week end

24. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

We had more damage a couple months back when the tornado touched down near us. This time was okay for us luckily. Hope the rest of you guys are okay. Upstate NYers got battered, hope all is well and you are on the road to recovery

25. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

all is okay. CT has over 650,000 people with out power (estimated) and many towns are completely black....as the way mine was last night. we got power back this morning...thank god. Lots of large trees down around our property and limbs, etc all over the place. the roads are covered in sticks, bark, leaves to the point where you cant see the pavement. luckily we all escaped with out any injuries or damage to personal property. some farmer friends of ours had entire fields of corn flattened by the winds. they have the next few days of harvesting to do in hopes that they can salvage their crop to feed their stock. The CT coastline is submerged with extensive damage. the western hald of the state mainly suffered heavy rains while the eastern side of the state suffered from 5-10" of rain and big wind. hope everyone else faired okay!

26. I'm south of Sunrise off the Causeway, minor damage here a few trees down here and there and one took out the power lines down the block. We lost power after the wrath of the storm, from noon to 4PM and for 10 minutes after those 6PM gusts. I spend a couple of hours with a leaf blower and rake, so the yard is pretty good. I still have to vacuum the pool and put out the patio stuff.

Driving around, south of 27A took a big hit. Flooding, trees into houses, trees just uprooted or leaning. Wires down all over. Didn't see one LIPA truck, some tree guys were out and about having a good payday.

Bob

27. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

My neck of the woods faired reasonably well. Many are still waiting to be power restored but a good many of us got it back late yesterday. Thanks to all for the prayers and good wishes. Al

28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

It was a busy day for me yesterday. We ran about 20 calls, Nothing major though. My hometown got walloped, espicially the South and East ends of town. We havent had power since 6am yesterday.

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

just got power and back on the hamb!

30. Glad to see most escaped the wrath of Irene.