Register now to get rid of these ads!

Malteese Cross

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigdaddyhemi, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigdaddyhemi

Bigdaddyhemi

Hey guys thanks a bunch I get it. and as for the joking around it is all good. I bet we brought out a few smiles today. All in fun have a great weekend boys.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Okay, if we want the Hot Rod tie-in, it has been explained to me as this. Late fifties early sixties surfers in So - Cal picked it up under the original Maltese meaning of brotherhood and strength, with of course the double meaning of Nazi darkness. Great for a burgoning counter culture. Ed Roth being a master of all things pop culture began to notice this and started to incorporate the cross into his T-shirt designs. Soon, he began casting then in resin to wear around necks, and this along with the German helmets he offered, slipped into Hot rodding basically through the pop cuture back door. This is is the explanation I was given when I asked about thirty years ago...

3. silent rick

silent rick

i'm still upset

4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Right you are, and that was elaborated on by the nefarious Tom Wolfe, in his '60s counterculture novel, "The Pumphouse Gang".

Similar reference is mentioned in the "Kandy Koloured, Tangerine-flake Streamline Baby".
    Plus, I wuz there. Everybody knew that.

5. outlaw256

outlaw256

now thats funny!!!!1 for kripfink..

6. outlaw256

outlaw256

sorry kripfink,this one is even funnier ........lol

7. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I wanna know what a car 'cruz' is.

8. Ricky B

Ricky B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surfer's_cross

I've had a few surfer cross' given to me as gifts. I surf & I had a '61 VW during the Cal Look beginnings. I had a lot of fun times in Carlsbad/ Oceanside area. Thanks to Ed Roth & VW's the surfer cross went nationwide.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. "back alley cruisers", "broke back cruisers" "Falco", and crosses "coming in the back door"...I can't remember another post going so far "south" so fast. WTF, over?

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

As far as hot rod guys are concerned it was something "cool" and counterculture. I bet you can get'em at Hot Topic now.

Chip said "pop culture back door". Heheheeee

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

"Let's get tatoos and piercings and be different like everybody else"?! Ya, kinda like that. Just to be perfectly clear I didn't say "Pop cuture in the back door..."

12. Cerberus

Cerberus

I have a cousin who is a Maltese. He lives on an island in the Mediterraenean Sea known as Malta.
    The US Army dress greens uniform is sometimes decorated with Maltese crosses for earning marksmanship in firing a rifle. There is another for reaching sharpshooter in firing a rifle which has a oak leaf cluster around it. I earned several, one even in grenades.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.