Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Dissecting an S10 for parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ol55, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

I've been offered an '86(?) S-10 that has been sitting and wondering what parts will work in my '55. It is a non-running 6 cylinder(?) 5 speed extended cab. Will the trans fit behind a 235? Will the rear swap? Other parts?

Thanks, Larry

2. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

not to sure about the trans lining up or wut parts will work on ur 55 but if its free you could problably sell the front clip to someone on here or the whole rear end and make some cash I have an xtra clip and rear of these laying around incase a new project needs the swap. Hope this helps somewhere in all of that

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

does it have power sterring/ if not i might be interested in the steering gear box

4. LeftCoastErik

LeftCoastErik

that five speed with one of hot rod works or waltons (there are others too) adapters works really nice. I assume its 2wd? The rear will work also, but the 4wds are a little nicer since they are limited slip.

5. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

I don't know if the rear will work- they're too narrow for '49-54s to use, and the 55 is the same rear width.

6. Keep the trans. Scrap the rest.

7. That chassis is worth it's weight in gold in Florida. It'll fit under anything. ;):p;)

JH

8. potshot

potshot
    from MT

OP,
    That T5 will bolt right up to your 235 Bell Housing. Just enlarge the 4 mounting holes to 1/2" and use the clutch disc from the S10. I put one in a '56 chevy pickup, and was able to use the original release bearing, pilot bearing etc.

9. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

The rear end is light duty so I wouldn't bank on it holding up long in a heavy car.
    Look for a 67-69 camaro rear or 68 -up Nova , same rear but cheaper casue it didn't come from a camaro