Register now to get rid of these ads!

1950 Plymouth Business Coupe WIW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gregsrt, Aug 24, 2011.

1. gregsrt

gregsrt

Hope it's ok to post a whats it worth question. I'm looking at a 50 Plymouth coupe. Supposedly has 36000 miles, straight 6, some minor rust. In your more educated opinion than mine what do you guys think it's worth. He's asking $7500 obo.

I'm going to look at it Saturday and just wanted some other opinions on this.

Thanks, Greg

Attached Files:

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

3. Agreed

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

It's '51 or '52...........not that matters a great deal. I recently sold at auction, and watched another sell at the same sale, a '49 Business Coupe. Neither as nice as the one in your pics, but certainly not junk either. Mine brought $1100 and the other about $900. These results at a sale that is held twice a year and has shown itself to be a good place to sell a mediocre car.

If the pictured car is really solid (no significant rust) it would seem to me to be worth about half of the asking price. That said, it depends on how badly someone wants it and whether or not you know where to find another as good or better for similar money. A rag will cost more in the long run. Also, while appealing to some of us, I think it's fair to say this model is not a high demand body style.

Ray

5. Book says $3100 to $7000 depending on just how much it needs. Plymouths aren't super popular. If you like it, leave him an offer and wait.

6. gregsrt

gregsrt

I appreciate all your opinions. I agree its too high. Its been for sale about 2 months. The thing I have working against me is these types of cars are not common up here so most old cars go for more $$. Here are a couple more pics.

Attached Files:

7. the insurance company gave me 3500 for my wrecked bon-do filled one and i paid a 1000 for my current one that i had to put the front clip back on to and i saw a cheery 49 at the portland swap meet a couple of years ago for some where around 5500

8. rld14

rld14

$3-3500.

It's not an in demand car, it's got more than "minor" rust. I bet you could find a much nicer one for $5-6k in the southern US and still have enough left in the budget to get it up to Canada.

Not that there's anything wrong with cars that aren't in demand, I own 3 Vauxhalls and a 1960 Lincoln, they aren't exactly 32 Fords and a 57 Bel Air. They also dont cost tens of thousands for a useable one either.

9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i've seen a few of them down here for sale, usually in the range of $3k-$4k for a decent-ish one.

10. gregsrt

gregsrt

thanks, for the input guys. I offered $4000 and he said no way. Guess he'll be keeping it. now what's a 1931 Model A body and chassis worth? hmmm

11. VonKool13

VonKool13

Yeah get a Model A for 4,000 cuz there is NO WAY that Plymouth is worth 7 G's. I've seen some GREAT deals here in the classifieds.

12. gregsrt

gregsrt

Funny you should say that, there's one by here for $4000....I'd prefer an A anyway, with a flatty

13. Old Gold

Old Gold

Tho its a biz coupe, and much cooler....I recently bought a 51 Plymouth 2 door sedan, 31000 original miles, zero rust and most mechanicals new (clutch, brakes, brake lines etc.) for $1600. I would think 2500 on the biz coupe would be fair.

14. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I would think that car is worth maybe $2k. I've had lots of this era mopars and they just don't bring any money, especially the late 49' thru 53's. My 2 cents.

15. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

id offer him 3800 for it. we paid 3800 for our 1950 plymouth special deluxe and it had 21,000 orig miles on it and next to zero rust on it. we still feel that we paid an honest price for what it was and we love the car to peices and enjoy it everyday. theyre fun cars and pretty reliable once you work out any kinks. I will tell you that they dont bring a lot of money if theyre restored quickly and cheaply. they cheap only because people dont want them. when its done; it will be an eye catcher at any show because they are not around anymore. people flock to our plym for this main reason and we get compliments like "i love it because its well done and you just dont see them...ever." Do a nice job on it and the rewards will come. Dont expect to ever make a killing back on the car; because you wont but if you have a good solid car to start with that doesnt need a lot of fixins to make it a solid runner (basically if you dont have to dump a ton of money into it besides for paint) then you could easily make money back on something well done).

We bought our plym because we liked it and it was practical for us. we dont have plans of selling it anytime soon and it wasnt about making money on it for us. Heres a bit of a realty for you: no matter what car you chose to build; you're likely to not ever make a killing back on it by the time to project is completed if its done right. thats the way of the hobby. if you like the car and its something youre going to keep and enjoy for awhile then offer him a fair price.

16. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Agreed, great cars, smooth riding, but worth 3,000

17. gregsrt

gregsrt

I don't plan on building a car to sell and make money, that doesn't really happen much. I offered $4 for the car and he flat refused. He wants closer to $7g for it. Waaaay to much. I'll go to the U.S. and get a car first.

Our economy in Sask is doing good so far and people aren't grounded in reality with their prices. they have the Barret Jackson mentality. I'm not in a rush, lots of stuff seems to go for sale during the cold winter months up here.

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Go through the classifieds here on the HAMB, also check various Craigslists in different cities, etc.....

I'd try to make the effort to buy a rust-free desert car if possible. Money spent on shipping can be worthwhile.

Should be easy to get that A you really want. And in decent shape, too.

19. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I would look at the front floors - they tend to rust on those Mopars.

Great cars, I love my '51, but old Plymouths don't have good collector value. Most non-muscle car Mopars don't. Part of the reason is a lack of reproduction parts. Mechanical parts are available. A hopped up six with an overdrive makes it run well enough. A V-8 and suspension upgrades makes all the difference.

I would agree that $3000 to 3500 is the most I could see on that one, if it ran well. And that is what you want.