Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Carb.........which one to use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47chevycoupe, Aug 19, 2011.

1. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Have been pondering what carb I should use on my 8BA that is going into the 36 coupe. Looking for something that's trouble free. Want to get into it and go, not wanting to have to work on it all of the time.

Prefer to use only 1 carb, have never tried to tune multiple carbs. Hood will be closed so looks are not the primary goal.

I have a couple different intakes, Fenton and Edmunds 4 bbls, stock 4 bolt 2 bbl and a stock 3 bolt 2 bbl.

Engine build up specs so far.

8BA block with mild porting stock valves, 3-5/16" bore
    EAB heads
    Looking for a 4" crank
    Cam- mild regrind from Pete forget which one
    Bubba ignition
    Headers and dual exhaust
    T-5 trans & 3.73 gears

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '36 3W a few years ago with a 276" Merc. Offy heads, MSD ignition, Isky Max1 cam and an Offenhauser 4BBL manifold and ran a 390 CFM Holley 4bbl. It was absolutely trouble free for the 6 years I had it. Power? I ended up running shortened axle keys in it to provide an easily repairable weak point in the driveline after I grenaded a couple of transmissions and broke an axle. (Changing a rear axle in a pre-49 Ford is not one of my favorite things to do; that's what you get when you run a "traditional" driveline.) I think just about all of the 4BBl manifolds available for a flathead need an adapter to bolt the carb on, but I don't remember it as being a problem.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

x2 on the Holley 390 4bbl.
    I have one on my built '50 8BA....trouble free.

4. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Just have been reading several post about the Autolite 4100. Would that be a carb that I could use??

A long time ago my dad had one on his 427-425hp and it improved the fuel mileage and still had the power of the Holley he had.

5. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

X2 on the 390 Holley. It's what I now run on my '51 p/u. Great combination!