Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration "How I Draw Rusty Nuts" or "Hot Rod Poster 101"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeff Norwell, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I always dig your style Jeff, nice work!

2. I have always worked with trad tools, but im interested in this medium. Just prefer to do it the hard way. lol.
    One day i'll give it a try. Thanks for the insight.

3. thishero

thishero

Very nice work Jeff, I'm a graphic artist, but I just can't do illustrating, and boy am I jealous of the talent you and others possess.

4. ArtofHotRod

ArtofHotRod

Jeff your work is Amazing

5. Mojo

Mojo

Really enjoyed that, thank you for posting it!

6. Ricky B

Ricky B

Thank you very much !!! I wish I had half the talent you have.

7. daayum. Glad nobody was here to see how stupid I looked with my mouth hanging open. You have an amazing eye.

8. Gator

Gator

Wow - fantastic skills.

9. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Nate...it does take some hand /eye getting used too.... after about a month.. you just get a feel.....
    Just like learning to drive with a clutch.......yes.just practice.
    some folks like the Cintiq....I don't care for it much.... big jobs don't work in real time..or so that' my exp.

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

49/ There are many tablets at different price ranges....and you can usually test one out to see your comfort level....

11. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Really interested in the process images, as a forty year Artist and teacher I love the process stuff! Finished Products are great but the real grabby stuff happens in the doing and Jeff my friend YOU DO IT WELL! Great stuff and thanks for sharing it with us!

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Thank you Bo.
    I have been collecting Fonts for years..some are spendy, some are cheap...
    I got many from ad agencys I used to work for.
    Yes. this is all Pixel based..i am not a Vector guy.... Can't really draw(me anyhow) in Vector programs.Saying that, guys like the late great Bill Drake(RIP) and Brian Stupski Have done amazing work in those based programs.
    Nowadays...everything is digitally printed.... I have done small images and the have blown up to Billboard size with zero problems.Not like 10 years ago.
    Quite a few concept art guys I know are doing things at very small sizes...blowing them up huge and printing on aluminum,steel,wood,etc,etc.., giant images...6-8 feet tall..... pretty neet stuff.

13. Gaters

Gaters

Ya know, I'm diggin your TLC, "How it's made" post. It's like getting the inside scoop from the Hot Rod version of Rembrandt! (I know, different medium, composition and style but I'm talkin talent).

It's stunning to see your work at different stages throughout your process. Just magnificent!

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

thanks guys.... glad you dig it and i hope it helps some of you guys....

I gotta run.....The wolves are at the door.

15. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

horrible subject, horrible picture, horrible tech and I hate you........

16. roddinron

roddinron

Man Jeff, thanks for taking the time to post this. Every time I see a piece of your work I think "damn, I wish I could do that". I went to art school in the 70's after getting out of the military, and was pretty good with the old tools, but couldn't really make a decent enough living at it after my kids came along especially with computers changing everything, so I sort of abandoned art altogether.
    Your work always makes me think I should give it another try, this time just for fun. I've been trying to teach myself on an old version of photoshop with pretty disappointing results. Maybe it's time I look into Corel and get serious. I'll never match your talent, but it might be fun to try.
    Thanks again for the post, very inspiring.

17. kmc777

kmc777
    from sedaliamo

Would you consider adopting a 43 year old and show him everything you know.If you would I'm available . Its truly amazing to see how your work is done. Thanks for sharing

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Such a wealth of knowledge. Thanks Jeff!!! I do a similar workflow but I've been stuck in illustrator and photoshop but I might just try Coral painter. I've been working on doing more and more hot rod stuff in my free time so you tutorial is very helpful. Thanks dude!

19. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Very nice work, Jeff, thanks for sharing your process with us minions. The best part is the "inside" information as to how it all comes about! Sweet!

20. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Holy Mack'l, Andy!!

21. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

thanks for sharing Jeff..you do such nice work

22. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Almost didn't open the thread.I though the title said "How I'm Drawn to Rusty Nuts"was afraid Jeff was spilling his guts about a fetish for old men.Glad I did though your how too's are a great read Mr. Norwell.

23. Dammit, Jeff! Why'd you have to come up with a coupla really awesome designs again??? I wanna see some of the terrific hot rods that will be at Jalopyrama 8. Now, I'll be stuck at the merchandise tent all day hawkin' those awesome posters and T-Shirts!!! :D:D All kidding aside, those are absolutely awesome creations!!!!

24. jlouie

jlouie

Cool. The behind the scenes makes it really sweet to see. Keep the work coming Jeff.

25. Davyj

Davyj

Jeff, great insight into what makes a neat poster! Thanks for sharing!

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Outstanding work. How can those of us that are on the left coast get a poster & T-Shirt without attending?

27. slickhale

slickhale
    from Phoenix

i love this stuff. when "hot rod artists" draw cars in motion there is a very fine line between cool and contrived, you nailed this one. the exhaust flame is the detail that sets it apart. you keep showing off stuff like this and i'm gonna have to try to do it myself if for no other reason than the process looks fascinating. keep threads like these coming. and i'm with hotrod40coupe......i want a shirt.

28. GARY?

GARY?

Just plain cool.

thanks a heep!

29. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Damn thats awesome.. you make it look so easy...

30. drivewaycustoms

drivewaycustoms
    from waldorf,MD

the poster is awesome, I have a spot in the rec room saved for it with the other Jalopyrama posters.