Register now to get rid of these ads!

pics of real vintage american racing d spoke wheels and what they are bolted to

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32coupedeville, Jun 26, 2010.

1. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

solospeedshop i dig the 6 tail lights.i would like to own a vette but i dont care to have matching number and all that nonsence.

2. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful car. A friend of mine had a 62 Biscayne,327, 3 spd that blew the doors off my 301 powered 55 Chevy (back in 1968):rolleyes:

3. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

I have TT"D" wheels on 3 of my rides . Offered starting in 1965 to clear the disc brakes on Corvettes . Made in 6" , 7" & 8 1/2" sizes . Both in Aluminum and magnesium .

Attached Files:

bowie likes this.
  4. This 56 Chevy at Tuxies in Riverside, Ca. had D-Spokes. P.S Engineering makes a wheel called the "Trans Am" that looks like the D Spokes!

[​IMG]

I had D-Spokes on my 57 Wagon, too..

[​IMG]

5. weez

weez

Personally I like straight spokes on traditional hot rods, D's look more modern. Especially since they are the the more commonly available rim in recent history. But Bob Bleed has em on his roadster and Coop on his sedan, and Pat Ganahl told me D's were the hot rim to have in the 60s, so whudda I know... I'm just going by what I see in old magazines, that's my main guide, since I wasn't around then. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing they say.

Another thing I've noticed about mag wheels, is that styles are hard to identify in many cases, (Hallibrand didn't even mark theirs with a number or a name anything as far as I've seen) so you have to eyeball em, trying to describe them will get you nowhere.

6. Wide and Narrows on my 5W. (Early straight spoke) Have some on my 56 "Big Window" and 60 El Camino. 200S on the Roadster.

Attached Files:

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ended up ugly, but it was cool as hell anyway! I remember looking at the article in Street Rodder as a kid thinking "I need one of those"! Almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, though.... Sorry for the hijack.

8. 32coupedeville

32coupedeville
    from cincy

i started this post just to get some ideas on the d spokes and what people were putting them on. i scored a set of 15x6 aluminum wheels at the last auto fair in north carolina. them a few weeks ago i got on the local cincinnati ohio carigslist and found a complete set of 15 x7's very nice for 400.00. iam going top use the wheels i have on a project but it is not very hamb friendly.

daveydeuce that 5 window just look mean. i dig it.

weez i like the stright spokes better on old hot rod ( t,a, & b's) . but i do like these d spokes on vette, porsches, v w's, corvairs,mustage, camaros etc. would like to see a set on a fat fendered car.

9. monsterflake

monsterflake

10. Thanx 32coupedeville. Its just a "50s survivior", bought it less eng in 69.

11. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

are those 6s or 7s on your black camino

12. Rogga

Rogga

American Racing Torq "D" 15 by 7 on my rusty -53 Buick.

Attached Files:

13. Wreckingball

Wreckingball

Here are mine which I scored off "*)ay" cheap too!. I had to give them a little TLC.
    This was taken a few weeks ago. The fronts a 14x7 and the rears are 15x8.5
    [​IMG]
    Last weekend
    [​IMG]

14. These are Ansen Appollos, I don't think they clear disc brakes.

[​IMG]

15. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I have one early Torque thrust D curved spoke aluminum 15x7 with a 5 on 5 big Chevy Olds bolt pattern.It is an early wheel with a push in hexagon shaped cap,no screws in wheel hub.As most on here have been saying they were mostly small Chevy pattern,I can verify at least this different one.

16. D's On the front 15X6 straight on the rear 15X8.5
    i have an extra set had them all since new
    [​IMG]

bowie likes this.
  17. edweird

edweird

52 dodge. these rims are from the 60's. i painted the spokes with chrome bumper paint.

Attached Files:

18. edweird

edweird

i always wondered what the newer polished alum. ones would look like with the spokes painted black or gray.

19. Terry R Vaughan

Terry R Vaughan
    from wash state

The original Aluminum Torque Thrust D came to be in 1965. It was available 15x6 & 15x7.
    The Magnesium Torque Thrust D came in 15 x 6-7-8.5 widths.The spoke was not as wide as G.T. which also came 15x 6- 7 - 8.5 And then there is also a G. T. Porsche which came 15x 5 - 5.5 - 6 inch widths. You can email me at [email protected] Terry

Attached Files:

bowie likes this.
  20. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

"D"s on my drum brake Corvette...hope the cowl induction hood doesn't upset any uptight purists.
    [​IMG]

21. Deuces

Deuces

The top pic looks like it has a 4.5" bolt pattern.. And the spotface tool for the lug nut washers cut into the id... That's scary!! :eek:

22. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

first time I saw American Mags on the street was about 1961 -- this guy had some on the rear of his vette -- just like the ones on Garlits dragster -- "you can't drive those on the street - you hit a curb and the magnesium will explode!"

plymouth out 1.JPG

I got Torque thrusts on my Plymouth -- most people who see it think, "yeah, those old cars had really big wheels and tires..."

23. 5w32

5w32

real d spokes , 15x6 narrowed to 15x4 ....15x7 widened to 15x10

Attached Files:

24. ZBM 100

ZBM 100
    from lodi ca

15x7 real dee's in front need some for the rear.

Attached Files:

25. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Over the years I`ve come to the conclusion, that there were 2 differant original "D" series of wheels. The 1st type made in mag only, have curved wider spokes as shown by Mike Guffey`s rear A/FX ones,also 327/365`s 1st pic, and Terry Vaughen`s 3rd pic. To me they appear to be the Lemans type wheel, without the crown of the spoke milled off. The 2nd gen wheel,made in alum and mag; were made having a strait edge along the leeding ridge of the spoke. ps : I dig both kind!

26. no55mad

no55mad

Someday will get some more period correct looking skins.

Attached Files:

27. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To clearify my post#55 above : 1st run "D" mags just "look" like an unmilled Lemans spoke. Last night I looked at the backsides of an orignal "D" and a Lemans, they are not made the same. It just appears that way from the front view. Sorry for any confusion.

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have 2 sets of straight spoke. 14x6,and 15x8.5 on a 55 pontiac. The others are on a 31 a roadster,15x6,and 15x8.5 ,4.5 bolt pattern.Yes, the center is milled for the studs,and washers. My 8.5s ,ford pattern have the valve stem on the 45 degree angle ,like in the altered in post #17. Which was first?4.5 b/p are hard to find. Took me 18 mos. Mine are not perfect, but nice drivers

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

48fordnut: Any of the Americans with the valve stem hole on their face are tube type. These are the older ones. Tubeless rims have the stem hole between the spokes. Some later race style magnesiums were still made in tube type. All magnesiums are milled for lug washers.

30. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

thanks for the reply. Mine are milled , because of the smaller ford pattern,I think. They are alum.