Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Lincoln 368 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rvs57lin, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rvs57lin

rvs57lin

I am assembling a 368 cu in Lincoln (56) big "Y" block from the bare block up to a runniong engine in a stand.

I have so far gotten the short block portion completed and have the oil pan on , oil in the pan and the oil pump and associated attaching parts installed.
    I have installed the rocker arm assemblies that have been completely overhauled.
    I have set in a dummy Distributor to drive the oil pump using an electric 3/8" drive drill. I have installed a direct reading oil pressure gage and when I start up the drill I get 20 psi on the gage and after a few seconds I get oil dripping off of the left bank rocker arms but very little from the right bank. I have slid two of the middle rocker arms on the right bank to the side revealing the oil hole and there is a steady stream of oil coming out and then it stops. I have removed the overflow pipe to see if any oil comes out and there is hardly any. No flow>

My question is. Is 20 psi sufficent oil pressure to get to the right bank? The oil pump is located on the left side of the engine and is an external pump.

I have removed the right bank rocker arm shaft assembly and have blown air into each of the oil holes under the rocker arms and I have also blown air back through the overflow hole in the shaft. All seems to be clear.

My next step is to install the right bank rocker arms on the left side. If I get oil toall the roker arms like I do now with the left bank rocker arms then I have to assume that the rocker arms and shaft is ok.

I have rotated the crank 1/2 turn at a time to see if I get any change I do not. So this tells me I have the latest cam and bearings installed.

This engie as some of you probably know has the oil passage for the rocker arms come up through the block and makes a 90 degree turn and goes aft for about an 1nch or so and then shoots up an oil passage in the head. That is the only way it gets oil up there. The push rods are solid.

I know the 368 engine had problems in the past and back in the 50"s and you had to keep clean oil in the engine. I am using GTX 5W30 oil and it should be thin enough to get to the rockers. The block has been hot tanked and all the oil passages cleaned out and new plgs installed.

Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help.

RV

2. DAPER DAVE

DAPER DAVE
    from N/A

You would have to check with the shop manual. I never worked on Lincoln motors before. There is an online website called Ford Barn they may also have the answer.