Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to look for when Flathead shopping? (Issues, problems, cracks, etc)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by poboyross, Aug 17, 2011.

1. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So, I might be visiting a fellah in the next several days that has a couple flatheads in his gee-raj, and I have absolutely no idea what to look for in regards to problems, etc. This would be my first flathead experience, EVER. He's told me that they all turn over and have been kept inside since he's had them. I'm assuming I should pull the covers and inspect the cylinders, turning it over as I do so I can see the full cylinder as it turns over? Any other things to look out for? I know these things can be hella-expensive, so if I do pick one up, I don't want to end up in the dog house for buying a brick :rolleyes:

Why I'm venturing away from affordable motors, is beyond me. I've got a 283 sitting in the garage that needs love anyhow :p

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Buy them cheap, and yes cracks.... most of the blocks have cracks, but a lot of them can be saved by sleeving the cylinder. Mabey some of the pro's on here can chime in their opinion on which cracks they'd fix and which they'd run away from

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Look for cracks along the oil pan!
    I went threw 3 blocks and decided to cut my losses

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So what is cheap for one of these things? Cheap as in "what you can actually find a decent number of them going for" cheap.

5. Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

I picked up a pair in Connecticutt for $250 each. They were both complete from carb to pan. No cracks seen on the decks, but haven't had the chance to tear them down yet to check the cylinder walls or have them magnafluxed. I've been told that most cracks can be fixed, as long as there are no chunks missing. Most cracks run from the cylinder walls to the water jackets.....Good Luck with your search!!!

6. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

If it were me. I would check them for any obvious damage. Then make sure that it has 24 head bolts. If it has an extended bell houusing make sure that it says 59 on top. If all of that is good I would offer him anywhere from 150 to 250 depending on overall condition and completeness. But thats just me.

Mitch

7. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

myself i belive 0 to 200 for them unrunning and that is what i have paid, I think me and my dad are up to 9 of them, but stuff like adjustable lifters(semi common even in rebuit stockers) factory relief jobs, or merc cranks can raise the price a bit above that.

Truthfully I get mine pretty cheap so dont go by my prices though....

And even if it is a ford motor it still might have a merc crank from a previous rebuild so check that tooo

8. hitman912

hitman912
    BANNED

Cheapest I've seen complete and running is about $500, but I think that's cheap cheap. Not running and/or not complete I think around $250. Like above, cracks are almost always going to be found but are not always bad enough to ruin the block. Some might only be surface by cylinder walls and can be fixed, like my original 8BA in my shoebox. Still going strong 3000 miles after buying the car and finding and "fixing" the crack.

9. strodphil

strodphil

Do yourself a favor if you are new to flatmotors. Buy the book "Ford Flathead V-8 Builder's handbook - 1932 - 1953". Written by Frank Oddo
    This great book will teach you all that you need to know in short order and save you time, money and a great deal of hassle. It will teach you how to buy that first motor as well.
    You can get a copy on line pretty easily
    Flatheads do cost a bit more and do require learning a few new old things, but nothing looks sweeter in a rod than a fully dressed flatmotor. And the sound-- nothing else sounds like a flathead.

10. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

So I looked at the motor....complete and turns over by hand. 24 bolt, too. I believe it's a 49 or 50 think I'm gonna get it

11. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Snagged it! Put half down so he'd hold it till tomorrow when I'll pick it up. That guy who's supposed to be there at 8am to look at it isn't going to be happy. He's going to get stuck with the other one that's in nowhere near as good a shape. Now I just gotta hope this fellah sticks to his word and doesn't sell it out from under me! XP